Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2009, 01:54 PM

12,169 posts, read 17,640,761 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by toughguy View Post
On the other hand, Texans are (in)famously known to have a very, very high opinion of their state, arguably near-delusional in many cases. You can't pretend like that little albatross doesn't exist.
Yep everything is bigger in Texas blah, blah, blah. I have no desire to visit.

Old 01-05-2009, 02:14 PM
JJG

13,612 posts, read 22,891,217 times
Yes Texas has loudmouths and idiots (what state doesn't?)
Yes Texans can be full of themselves (again, what other state's people can't be?)

The reason why so many people hate Texas is because of some of it's people.
Most fellow Texans I know are just regular, down to earth people.

And as for the stereotypes:

-NO, the whole state isn't filled with Cowboys who ride horses all day (that's just some rural areas).
-NO, it's NOT filled with ignorant rednecks (there around, but they don't make a majority)
-NO, the whole state isn't desert or open ranch (look at a map).
-NO, everyone in Texas doesn't own a cowboy hat or ride horses to work (we do have pick up trucks ya know)
-NO, we don't all drive pick up trucks (we also have cars)
-And NO, we don't all like to live on ranches (this is the second most populated state in the country, you have to count the number of major cities on both hands, and living on a ranch is BORING).

I was gonna type a poetic speach about Texas, but some of you might see that as arrogant......

Old 01-05-2009, 02:41 PM

1,528 posts, read 6,287,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestCobb View Post
I'm fairly new to this forum, but I bet this has been said many time before -- forgive me for repeating it if I am. People don't like Texas because many Texans are arrogant jerks. I know that's a stereotype, and I've met some nice, humble Texans. But far too many of them are loudmouth louts who go on and on about how Texas is the absolute best plot of soil this side of heaven. Well, I've been to Texas. Not all of it, but parts of it. It's not all that.
Well when I go anywhere people don't tend to brag too much.
I just think this forum is full of people proud of their place, and thus we come across as arrogant over the computer.
But no one besides me, and maybe a few others, like the brag about Texas. I find this is similar just about everywhere.

Old 01-05-2009, 03:01 PM

2,653 posts, read 5,958,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coldwine View Post
To be completely fair, New Jersey isn't just one big industrial wasteland with high crime.

It's one big industrial wasteland with high crime and a few heavily, heavily taxed nice suburbs.

Of all the stereotypes, I always find this the most disturbing about New Jersey. As a state, NJ is quite safe. It's very suburban. Crime in NJ is highly concentrated in isolated pockets. For the most part, if you don't want to get shot in NJ, don't sell heroin or join a gang & everything will be alright. If you don't want to get mugged, don't walk around the ghetto late at night.

Statements like yours only solidify the fact that you don't know what you are talking about.

Old 01-05-2009, 03:02 PM

14,256 posts, read 26,923,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlantaGuy404 View Post
Can we not use the word guido so freely? You mostly likely wouldn't keep saying the n word so is it logical to use a nother racial slur?
Oh is that what he said? Wow. I may not be italian (im black) but if I were Itlalian I wouldbe pretty offended. That was pretty mean.

Old 01-05-2009, 03:05 PM

3,235 posts, read 8,712,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by polo89 View Post
Oh is that what he said? Wow. I may not be italian (im black) but if I were Itlalian I wouldbe pretty offended. That was pretty mean.
guido is not that offensive. I'm Italian-American and use that word all the time. We use it to describe some of the more greasy slicked hair types. Heck, I even hear lots of Italian-Americans refer to themselves as guidos.

Old 01-05-2009, 03:16 PM

HERES WHAT I CANT STAND!!! When New Yorkers, Chicogoans, Bostonians and people from up north in general love to talk on and on and on about how awesome there state or cities are up north. BUT god forbid a Texan or a Californian or a Floridian or anybody in the sunbelt, has pride in ther states or cities. When someone who isnt from up north (especially Texans) talks good about there own cities and state it is viewed as cockiness or obnoxious. Why? Why is that? I dont know how many times on these forums or in real life have I heard somoen from up north say " Houston isnt a real city it sprawls, Miami isnt a real city it sprawls, LA isnt a real city it sprawls, Atlanta isnt a real city it sprawls" iT is getting pretty annoying. And not all northerners are this way, ( that would be stereotyping) I've met some of the kindest northerners ever (including family in NJ) but plenty do like to bring others cities and states down. Why?

Old 01-05-2009, 03:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by garmin239 View Post
guido is not that offensive. I'm Italian-American and use that word all the time. We use it to describe some of the more greasy slicked hair types. Heck, I even hear lots of Italian-Americans refer to themselves as guidos.
Oh allright. Because an Italian from NY told me it was a slur used toward Italians. But I see, it's kinda like the us and the N-word.

Old 01-05-2009, 03:30 PM

3,235 posts, read 8,712,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by polo89 View Post
Oh allright. Because an Italian from NY told me it was a slur used toward Italians. But I see, it's kinda like the us and the N-word.
A while ago it was, but has pretty much lost meaning. Now if you call somebody a wop or guinea, people might start to get offended.

Old 01-05-2009, 03:34 PM

15,982 posts, read 35,194,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by houstoner View Post
Yeah, okay. I think he's a troll based on the fact that he just joined yesterday and every post so far has been about Texas. He's just here to stir the pot. That's what trolls do. If it looks like a duck.
If it looks like a duck.....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.