U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you have problem with Californians moving into your area?
YES 22 25.29%
NO 65 74.71%
Voters: 87. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2009, 03:56 PM

3,596 posts, read 7,709,405 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Awesomo.2000 View Post
arrrggggg. Like I said. Can somebody from a interior west mountain town please comment? Somebody that has been priced out of their home.

This has nothing to do with people hating Californians. But as I said above, people from the East, south, and midwest have no idea what it is like to have high priced Californian yuppies move in droves to their nice mountain town and "Californicate" the hell out of it to their desire.

This poll really isn't about a new neighbor from Berkley moving in next door in your suburb of Philly. It should be geared to more of a major displacement of Californians moving to small towns in the mountain west and displacing majority of the natives.
It's never happened to me, but it's happened to my aunt in Wyoming and friends in Colorado. Very much like the South Park episode, only they were more horrified.

Californication is a horrifying reality for many people, and it very nearly ruined Washington State... If you looked not so closely at Washington's real estate laws, they read very loudly about Californians. Lots of small mountain towns really have been utterly destroyed by Californians, and for a very many people across many states, the arrival of Californians has meant triple crime, drugs, gang warfare and insane housing costs. Californians tend to build giant fortresses with no respect for the culture of the community.

It's like a disease. Californians move elsewhere for what they couldn't get in California, and there's nothing wrong with that. I too have moved for things I couldn't find in my home state. But the problem is the complete disregard for wherever they move to, and often enough they have so much money that even though they leave California, they still create the problems they sought to flee.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2009, 04:10 PM

10,234 posts, read 13,993,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachael84 View Post
I was thinking the same thing. Californians are probably most similar to us native NYers' personalities
Nah, I don't think so. I'm a native Californian, lived there for 23 years (30 in Oregon). But I spent 10 days in New York this fall and I can't say that there's much similarity.

I really loved the New Yorkers, found them more likable than Californians and Oregonians. Different things make New Yorkers and Californians tick. Both live expensively but that's about it.

Old 01-05-2009, 04:15 PM

1,848 posts, read 6,250,881 times
There is some discussion of this over in the Portland Oregon forum Poor Oregonians
There is a certain amount of fuss about Californians in Oregon. There are plenty of Californians located where I live on the coast but they usually manage to fit in. Many of them are older, and retire to the area.
One thing I don't like is it seems we sometime change are laws to go along with California. They just passed all that non-smoking just about anywhere law. I don't see that we need to match our laws to our border states.

Old 01-05-2009, 04:26 PM

10,234 posts, read 13,993,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waterlily View Post
There is some discussion of this over in the Portland Oregon forum Poor Oregonians
There is a certain amount of fuss about Californians in Oregon. There are plenty of Californians located where I live on the coast but they usually manage to fit in. Many of them are older, and retire to the area.
One thing I don't like is it seems we sometime change are laws to go along with California. They just passed all that non-smoking just about anywhere law. I don't see that we need to match our laws to our border states.
Agree!!!!

Old 01-05-2009, 05:01 PM

6,867 posts, read 12,816,947 times
Californians don't bother me... illegals bother me.

Old 01-05-2009, 05:16 PM

6,981 posts, read 14,105,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by westhou View Post

Old 01-05-2009, 05:59 PM

1,423 posts, read 4,232,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by westhou View Post

Old 01-05-2009, 07:48 PM

436 posts, read 1,591,116 times
If Californians drive up house values then "HEY CALIFORNIANS - come move to Wisconsin. I've got a house you can buy!"

I always find it funny that the buyers take the heat when the natives who are pricing their homes/land come out smelling like a rose.

Old 01-05-2009, 07:59 PM

15,989 posts, read 30,694,755 times
I have no problem with Californians; they are really cool people ,but when it comes to people moving from the north....than it's a problem. IMO, New Yorkers are NOTHING alike Californians, Californians are naturally laid-back and have that I don't care attitude, while NYers try to hard, very opinionated and ANNOYING.

Old 01-05-2009, 09:50 PM

6,981 posts, read 14,105,764 times
So I'm a waiter and I was waiting on these old ladies from NYC one night and they were some of the rudest people, yet I knew they weren't trying to.

One said: "I already asked someone once, but could you PLEASE turn the fans off" in a very disgust manner.

Then she says in a couple minutes: "Is this bread supposed to be warm...because it's NOT!"

I had never heard someone talk to me there like that, and they just coincidentally were from NYC...hmm...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.