U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you have problem with Californians moving into your area?
YES 22 25.29%
NO 65 74.71%
Voters: 87. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2009, 11:36 AM

756 posts, read 1,695,949 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MachineKnownAsLosAngeles View Post
its not our fault we make more money than alot of u boring states....when we are supposedly "dumb and airheaded" according to stereotypes...
Like, right on. Oh my god, for real, wud do these non-Cali peepz not get. We like totally are so smart, I mean yeah. Like totally talk to the wrist my hand is so tired.........
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2009, 01:01 PM

436 posts, read 775,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MachineKnownAsLosAngeles View Post
its not our fault we make more money than alot of u boring states....when we are supposedly "dumb and airheaded" according to stereotypes...
it's not CA's fault they cant keep themselves out of debt cuz they are dumber then hillbillies and box of rocks combined.
oops i'm sorry did insult you? oh you poor thing...
complements of the state of ARKANSAS

Old 04-30-2009, 02:04 PM

3,681 posts, read 5,547,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mommax3plus2 View Post
i can honestly say i have never met some one from california that was considering moving to maine! :O
actually- i dont think i have ever even seen or heard of anyone from california visiting maine!
Hey...hey! We're on our way! But we promise to not jack up real estate prices and try to take over! DH is doing a partial retirement and we just want to escape this crazy land of California and blend in with the beauty of Maine! Promise!

Old 04-30-2009, 02:18 PM

10,630 posts, read 23,408,176 times
Moving across the country is part of the American story. Most of the "natives" in these towns and cities are only there because their parents or grandparents moved there from somewhere else.

Real estate prices going up and people getting priced out is of course a problem, but it's not isolated to just Californians coming in from elsewhere. You see it when talking about gentrification of city neighborhoods, too, for example.

Besides, what's wrong with people having the opportunity to move somewhere affordable? Many people can never hope to buy a place in CA, so why shouldn't they be able to move somewhere else where they can have that option?

And where are those outpriced locals moving - they're presumably moving somewhere else (or doing like what those in CA do, and rent or cut corners to try to afford housing) and so on down the road.

Old 04-30-2009, 02:20 PM

18,264 posts, read 7,271,024 times
Their are no Californians in my area to my knowledge. Here it is mostly people from the Northwest,The Middle East,Asia and Europe.

Old 04-30-2009, 02:36 PM

1,305 posts, read 3,092,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago60614 View Post
Of the 4-5 people from California I know that moved to Chicago, they're all fine. Just as fine as everyone else I know. They whine about the weather if it's really cold in Chicago, but I guess everyone does.

The only time I get annoyed with people is when they go on and on about it being cold outside - as if they didn't KNOW it was going to be cold. There's absolutely nothing you can do about it, so just brush it off like everyone else here, or move away. That's your only option. No use complaining about it constantly like it's the end of the world. All you're going to do is end up coming off like a very negative person, or start pissing people off as if you're "enlightening" them to the fact that winters are warmer in other places around the world. Duh...

Most people from California didn't do that....just 1
Complaining about complaining... it's so meta. I'm going to assume the irony is intentional. I'll sleep better at night this way.

Old 04-30-2009, 02:45 PM

2,437 posts, read 7,282,830 times
Few people realize who, or what, they are talking about when they use the term 'Californians'. I just moved to CO from the SF Bay Area, and I can tell you that the vast majority of CA'ans are from somewhere else. In fact, in my neighborhood in the south bay, most of my neighbors were from other countries. Asian, Indian (dot not feather), Hispanic, African, and just about everywhere else. For the most part I did not mind since I figure that immigration and migration are a part of life and I truly enjoyed the vast diversity.

Sometimes there were problems, like when people don't respect our cultural norms (especially in things like bathing, and standing 6 inches away from me in line) but overall it was just fine as long as you had a positive and did not expect everyone to think like you. The ethnic diversity there had little to do with my moving away. In fact, it was on my list of things I would miss about living there. And I still do miss it, overall.

In my humble opinion, I think people who are excessively bugged by Californians or anyone else from the outside moving into 'their' neighborhood need to check their attitude in the mirror and see if they aren't being a little ignorant, even bigoted.

Old 04-30-2009, 02:47 PM

5,642 posts, read 7,966,090 times
On the Gulf Coast of Florida most transplants here are from the Midwest. That being said, I am now working with two native Californians. Even though I am from NYC, I do find them a bit "weird". However, they are the only two people I have ever known from Ca. I cannot judge an entire state on just two natives.

Old 04-30-2009, 03:10 PM

1,305 posts, read 3,092,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TANaples View Post
On the Gulf Coast of Florida most transplants here are from the Midwest. That being said, I am now working with two native Californians. Even though I am from NYC, I do find them a bit "weird". However, they are the only two people I have ever known from Ca. I cannot judge an entire state on just two natives.
Weird. Judgements are made about everywhere else all willy-nilly, but not California.

Old 04-30-2009, 04:00 PM

322 posts, read 982,780 times
Come on...this is an absolute JOKE!!!!! Im from california... im not any different from anyone living in Texas or Massachusetts... You know how immature you sound Creator of the Thread. This is Really Stupid... I can't believe this is even a thread!!! do you really have nothing better to do then to bash on the "Typical Stereotypical Californian" I think there's more important things in life then to be bashing Californians.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.