Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you have problem with Californians moving into your area?
YES 22 25.29%
NO 65 74.71%
Voters: 87. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2009, 10:43 AM

3,343 posts, read 10,935,659 times

Advertisements

I don't think many are moving to the rust belt, but i could be wrong.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2009, 10:45 AM

5,812 posts, read 18,829,880 times
Probably depends on the person. If the Californian is annoying, then yeah, the natives may be a little annoyed.

Old 01-05-2009, 10:47 AM

Location: from houstoner to bostoner to new yorker to new jerseyite ;)
4,084 posts, read 12,683,084 times
Isn't California made up of 90% former Midwesterners? They're probably just moving back home.

Old 01-05-2009, 10:51 AM

50,369 posts, read 63,964,084 times
I don't want any of those people with the creepy tans, washboard abs, and stretched faces moving next to me. As if I didn't feel bad enough about aging.

Old 01-05-2009, 11:06 AM

9,169 posts, read 13,247,950 times
Default McRanchers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Awesomo.2000 View Post
arrrggggg. Like I said. Can somebody from a interior west mountain town please comment? Somebody that has been priced out of their home.

This has nothing to do with people hating Californians. But as I said above, people from the East, south, and midwest have no idea what it is like to have high priced Californian yuppies move in droves to their nice mountain town and "Californicate" the hell out of it to their desire.

This poll really isn't about a new neighbor from Berkley moving in next door in your suburb of Philly. It should be geared to more of a major displacement of Californians moving to small towns in the mountain west and displacing majority of the natives.
You have a good point. Its true that Californians do not bother me and I assume most other NYers. Hell we get people from countries that I never heard of before. We also could use a few good Californians up near Buffalo!

But I remember reading somewhere that people in Montana (or Utah?)were upset about the Hollywood types buying up good ranchland and becoming McRanchers.

Maybe that it is what you are talking about?

Old 01-05-2009, 11:23 AM

769 posts, read 2,232,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Awesomo.2000 View Post
arrrggggg. Like I said. Can somebody from a interior west mountain town please comment? Somebody that has been priced out of their home.

This has nothing to do with people hating Californians. But as I said above, people from the East, south, and midwest have no idea what it is like to have high priced Californian yuppies move in droves to their nice mountain town and "Californicate" the hell out of it to their desire.

This poll really isn't about a new neighbor from Berkley moving in next door in your suburb of Philly. It should be geared to more of a major displacement of Californians moving to small towns in the mountain west and displacing majority of the natives.
You make a good point. Most of the posters in this thread aren't out west. I'd like to read what people from places like Oregon, Idaho, Washington, and Montana have to say about this.

Old 01-05-2009, 11:27 AM

10,229 posts, read 16,299,621 times
Yes, Californians have almost taken over Oregon (in certain spots!). However ~ and I have pissed off some people with this comment ~ Californians have done nothing that greedy Oregonians did now allow to happen. That goes for both realtors AND sellers. Money talks.

Old 01-05-2009, 11:32 AM

12,283 posts, read 35,688,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluesbabe View Post
Yes, Californians have almost taken over Oregon (in certain spots!). However ~ and I have pissed off some people with this comment ~ Californians have done nothing that greedy Oregonians did now allow to happen. That goes for both realtors AND sellers. Money talks.
yeah, that's kind of where I was driving at when I asked "what could be done about it" - you've got developers, sellers and realtors laughing all the way to the bank, ya know? but then again, how do you "not allow" it to happen?

Old 01-05-2009, 12:02 PM

8,900 posts, read 15,937,156 times
Why is there a problem about Californians moving to an area? I don't know how Californians are different from most places. Maybe i'm wrong. A lot of people from the higher priced states are moving to cheaper ones.

Old 01-05-2009, 12:07 PM

473 posts, read 714,785 times
i can honestly say i have never met some one from california that was considering moving to maine! :O
actually- i dont think i have ever even seen or heard of anyone from california visiting maine!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.