Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you have problem with Californians moving into your area?
YES 22 25.29%
NO 65 74.71%
Voters: 87. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2009, 10:00 AM

769 posts, read 2,232,519 times

Advertisements

Do you have a problem with Californians moving into your city/town/state? I just want to see a show of hands. Yes or no?

I don't have a problem but I've heard a lot of this Californication stuff. Even though I've read much about it I'm still confused. Do they seriously pay higher than the asking price for a house? Are they that much of a nuisance? Do they really arrive in droves to certain areas? What sends them there to migrate en masse? How does a place like Portland, OR or Boise, ID become the new hotspot for Californians?

Urban Dictionary: californication
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2009, 10:03 AM

2,488 posts, read 2,933,806 times
When I lived out west, they drove up the price so much in many upon many small mountain towns that the Natives no longer could live there.

Then they replace the Ma and Pa stores with boutique shops, pottery stores, and coffee shops and act like the town is now "unique".

One should not vote in this poll, unless they are natives of interior mountain west towns, or Northwest towns.

People in the midwest, the south, and the East coast would have no idea what it means to have their nice town turned into a Sundance film festival town. I loved the south park episode when the Californians came to South Park for the annual film festival, and were transforming their "hick" town into California, and Mr. Hankie had to come save them from their town being destroyed. It really is like that in many small interior west mountain towns. If you don't believe natives get priced out, than you are very very niave.

Last edited by Bo; 01-05-2009 at 10:34 AM.. Reason: Combined two posts into one, since the second contained an important restriction for the poll.

Old 01-05-2009, 10:07 AM

437 posts, read 929,928 times
As long as "they" dont act like like princes and princesses i think it would b ok

Old 01-05-2009, 10:17 AM

463 posts, read 1,565,247 times
I would not mind them, however, Californians are not moving to Pennsylvania anyway.

Old 01-05-2009, 10:23 AM

9,169 posts, read 13,247,950 times
None at all.

There are alot worse things than Californians in the world today!

Old 01-05-2009, 10:26 AM

21,620 posts, read 31,202,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LINative View Post
None at all.

There are alot worse things than Californians in the world today!
Agreed. We've had quite a few Californians move to my area of CT, most seem to be from the Bay area though. They're friendly and intelligent. Hardly a problem.

Now if they were coming here demanding welfare on Sec 8, that would be a problem.

Old 01-05-2009, 10:31 AM

1,643 posts, read 4,434,866 times
No, I love Californians!

Old 01-05-2009, 10:35 AM

2,488 posts, read 2,933,806 times
arrrggggg. Like I said. Can somebody from a interior west mountain town please comment? Somebody that has been priced out of their home.

This has nothing to do with people hating Californians. But as I said above, people from the East, south, and midwest have no idea what it is like to have high priced Californian yuppies move in droves to their nice mountain town and "Californicate" the hell out of it to their desire.

This poll really isn't about a new neighbor from Berkley moving in next door in your suburb of Philly. It should be geared to more of a major displacement of Californians moving to small towns in the mountain west and displacing majority of the natives.

Old 01-05-2009, 10:37 AM

7,055 posts, read 19,307,243 times
I know a lot of California ex-pats here in New Jersey. They're just fine.

Old 01-05-2009, 10:38 AM

12,283 posts, read 35,688,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Awesomo.2000 View Post
arrrggggg. Like I said. Can somebody from a interior west mountain town please comment? Somebody that has been priced out of their home.

This has nothing to do with people hating Californians. But as I said above, people from the East, south, and midwest have no idea what it is like to have high priced Californian yuppies move in droves to their nice mountain town and "Californicate" the hell out of it to their desire.

This poll really isn't about a new neighbor from Berkley moving in next door in your suburb of Philly. It should be geared to more of a major displacement of Californians moving to small towns in the mountain west and displacing majority of the natives.
i can't comment but do have a question. what should be done about it? a moratorium on moving? if you're from CA......? can ppl from other states move in? what's the solution?

can you give a couple of examples of mountain west towns to which has happened? i'm curious.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.