U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-10-2009, 08:48 AM

2,898 posts, read 2,877,242 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by s63 View Post
Yes. There's no way I could live in a small, backwater town like Rochester. Just seems like such a dreadful and depressing way to live.
What is your problem with Rochester? One of the best qualities of life you can find in America and some of the nicest people in America. Beautiful lake views (took pictures out at Hamlin Beach park and friends of mine from California thought it was California coast).

My theory is that a person who is secure with who they are and can find true meaning in his or her life can be happy anywhere, like myself
Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2009, 12:20 PM

57 posts, read 175,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by s63 View Post
Yes. There's no way I could live in a small, backwater town like Rochester. Just seems like such a dreadful and depressing way to live.
Ha! Yes Rochester metro, and all of it's 1 million people, is so tiny.

Old 01-10-2009, 04:06 PM

1,130 posts, read 1,359,005 times
s63 may have seen Rochester in the negative. Was he or she wearing blinders. Rochester is huge compared to where I live and even here is not "dreadful or depressing". It's beautiful. One early October visitor commented "you live in a postcard.
Maybe s63 couldn't really be happy anywhere. Too bad!

Old 01-10-2009, 05:10 PM

1,303 posts, read 1,724,471 times
I think this is a good thread. With people bashing other citys and all these vs threads I think at the end of the day its about what makes you happy Just because NYC was miserbale to you doesnt mean its just a miserable city period and thats what most of these comments are like on this forum.l It doesnt Matter where you live if it worls for you dont worry about what other people think

Old 10-26-2011, 12:20 AM

44 posts, read 31,181 times
I think it depends on the person. For me, environment is huge. I can't stand it in orange county, ca, but when we went to Minnesota over the summer to visit my in laws, my heart cried, realizing it was finally home! Unfortunately, my husband is a Californian, all the way. I was born and raised in ca, but my heart belongs in Minnesota. Ca isn't home and never will be. I just gotta suck it up, and hope my husband will miss his family enough to want to go home.

Old 10-26-2011, 04:55 AM

4,346 posts, read 7,420,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atlantaATL View Post
I think this is a good thread. With people bashing other citys and all these vs threads I think at the end of the day its about what makes you happy Just because NYC was miserbale to you doesnt mean its just a miserable city period and thats what most of these comments are like on this forum.l It doesnt Matter where you live if it worls for you dont worry about what other people think
Very true. It seems that there's a prevailing attitude that we are expected to be miserable if we live in one place and instantly happy if we live in another, based simply on climate or scenery. Nonsense. I grew up in the Great Lakes region, which is always being maligned as a "miserable" place to be. We lived in a semi-upscale area of the Phoenix metro a few years ago due to dh's temporary job transfer, an area where I guess we were supposed to be happy based on climate, palm trees, and swimming pools. So would I rather be in Michigan (which is truly a beautiful state, in spite of what people who don't live here believe) where I have extended family, four seasons, and a fulfilling career helping people, or in metro Phoenix, where I had a swimming pool, palm trees, desert scenery, but aloof neighbors, higher crime rates, and was unable to find rewarding work?

Michigan is home and we won't be leaving again. Whomever it is that makes up those "misery" indexes for various publications should realize that there is more to a place than outward aesthetics and a warm climate, but they continue to try to decide for everyone else where we should and should not be happy based on what they believe to be important. How presumptuous.

Old 10-26-2011, 10:41 AM

1,020 posts, read 3,068,317 times
As others have said you can be happy anywhere if you choose to be. Even under harsh circumstances. However I still would like to think that its possible to travel and see the beauty of our country like it was a big thing in the past. I think that should be important for our youth as well. Our parks are beautiful.

I have lived in the city, suburbs, and in the country. I like all three for different reasons and can't decide which one I like the most. I have lived in Ohio and Florida and I can't decide which one I like the most either. I do know that I have lived in Florida half of my life and traveled all over the state, but I still do not feel like its my home. It has its plusses like anywhere else but I want to travel to some other regions and get a feel for other states soon. I'm ready to settle down somewhere that feels like home to me. From there I will travel every year to National Parks with my wife and children as long as we can.

Old 10-26-2011, 01:30 PM

816 posts, read 1,586,632 times
Yes, I need a major city with lots of culture, b/c that is what I am involved in. They also need to have high tech/media/politics. I've done a few major cities and was fine in them. I've done several smaller metros and was going out of my mind. I am not a religious person, I like living, I like culture, life is too short. I can't imagine living in some small family values type religious town, lack of cultural diversity, I hate that stuff. I'd rather live in a 200 sq foot studio making ends meet waiting tables in a major city than a mansion in middle of nowhere with a good job where I come home and turn on the news and don't do anything. I am a social person, I need to be around similar social, well traveled, more cosmopolitan ambitious people who want a bit more out of life than the "simple life".
I have plenty of family who enjoys that simple life, have kids, have cars, typical american suburbia hunky dory stuff. That is fine for them, it's not for me and never will be. I'm in my 30s and would still go crazy there, the same way I did when I was 18.
There are several cases, industry specific traits, size traits (better to find clients/network) and
You'd be surprised how many niche industries are pretty non existent in smaller metros.
The couple times I lived in a small place, I ended up getting clients and such and having to network in the major cities anyway. It is much better to be able to go down to a coffee shop downtown and talk business than over the phone on a whim.

Last edited by Garfieldian; 10-26-2011 at 01:52 PM..

Old 10-26-2011, 02:00 PM

9,745 posts, read 14,179,292 times
I don't think anyone has mentioned weather. To many people it may just be a minor nuisance to live in a place that gets their idea of bad weather for half the year, but it nearly drove me insane. For six months out of the year in TN I was completely, 100% miserable, and for the second half of winter all I could think about was how hot weather was just around the corner. Most of Spring was too hot, most of Fall was too hot, it was simply a wretched way to live, for me at least. Climate wasn't the only reason I moved, of course, but it was definitely the biggest reason. And so far it's been one of the best decisions I ever made.

Old 10-26-2011, 02:05 PM

15,847 posts, read 30,349,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aek11 View Post
Do you think that it matters where you live? Does the quality of your life change whether you live in place A or place B?

Or will a person who is happy in A also be happy in B, while an unhappy person will be still unhappy in both?
I have been very fortunate to have lived in many different places in my life. I can tell you that I was infinitely happier in some places than others. I hated Colorado, I loved Texas.

I could never be happy living somewhere that is cold a lot (Minnesota, Wisconsin, Dakotas, New England). Whereas I would be very happy to live in Florida or Texas.

Currently, I live in Missouri and I am very happy here. Mostly because I live in the country and don't have to deal with people much.

20yrsinBranson
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or