U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-26-2017, 11:11 AM

1,770 posts, read 2,137,316 times

Advertisements

Not to me. I've lived in the west for 62 years. I've seen all the mountains I need to. From the Rockies, to the Sierras, the Cascades and back again. I'm at the point where I just don't want to shovel snow anymore
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2017, 03:19 PM

45 posts, read 19,909 times
I absolutely have to live near an ocean.

Old 10-26-2017, 04:20 PM

5,122 posts, read 3,880,627 times
Yes it does. The reason why depends on the person. If you grew up on the coast, you may not like Kansas City. If you're used to humid, tropical weather, you may not enjoy Rochester. If you want to work for a big fashion brand, then Tulsa is probably not the place for you, or if you want to be a marine biologist, then living in Tucson doesn't make much sense. If all of your family and friends live in Florida, then Seattle may be too far for you.

Some cities are more diverse than others and some cities have better schools or infrastructure. Even groceries matter. I know i'd miss Publix. Some people want cities that have more to eat than Applebees and Chilis.

Where you live affects your daily life from your job, health, mood, money, kids, etc. You want to live wherever makes you happy and you can find success in life, so it matters imo.

Old 10-27-2017, 09:57 PM

82 posts, read 53,010 times
This is a great post. I've also been wondering just how much influence a place has on shaping an individual. This is especially concerning to me as a parent because I want my kids in an environment that's conducive to healthy and productive habits that will carry them into their adult lives.

As others have mentioned, I feel that our relationships have a more critical effect on our well being, including those of friends, spouses and parent / child relationships. If those aren't intact then quality of life will suffer regardless of where you are.

But outside of our relationships, I'd think the people you're surrounded by and places you have access to would contribute greatly to your quality of life.

Where we are in Florida, the frustrating roads, uncomfortable heat / humidity and man-eating mosquitoes definitely factor into our decisions to go out or stay in. And public transportation, where it's available, is not efficient, so job opportunities depend on you having a car (and I've already mentioned the roads).

So while things aren't terrible here, I've really been feeling for the past few years that I'd be better somewhere else. I feel like my ideal home is somewhere that it's safe and comfortable to hop on a bike and ride all over the place, or camp / play outside without being eaten alive by mosquitoes. Where streets are better designed so people aren't frustrated and risking their necks to pull onto a road. But maybe these things are everywhere? I've enjoyed reading others' replies and would like to see more.

Old 10-28-2017, 04:12 AM

377 posts, read 202,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by danii View Post
I absolutely have to live near an ocean.
I doubt it. You won't die if you move inland, and I bet you'd be happy too if you had the right career, family and friends.

Don't get me wrong, living near an ocean is nice but it's a cherry on the top kind of thing.

After decades of living on the ocean, these days I prefer high in the mountains myself where you have cool air, greenery, and panoramas.

Old 10-28-2017, 04:16 AM

377 posts, read 202,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Restless in Florida View Post
T
So while things aren't terrible here, I've really been feeling for the past few years that I'd be better somewhere else. I feel like my ideal home is somewhere that it's safe and comfortable to hop on a bike and ride all over the place, or camp / play outside without being eaten alive by mosquitoes. Where streets are better designed so people aren't frustrated and risking their necks to pull onto a road. But maybe these things are everywhere? I've enjoyed reading others' replies and would like to see more.
The level of civility drivers in Florida display towards pedestrians is truly horrendous and basically more inline with foreign countries in the developing world than anywhere else in the USA or the developed world.

When I go back and forth between LA and Miami, I'm continuously shocked by how polite California drivers are and rule abiding compared to Miami counterparts. So it does exist, California and most of the northeast are like this.

Old 10-28-2017, 09:53 AM

25 posts, read 19,775 times
In Detroit yes it does

Old 10-28-2017, 04:27 PM

390 posts, read 231,559 times
For the average person, once out of their 20's, day-to-day life will not be much different in location A vs location B except for the difference brought by cost of living and affordability. Most already have a full life with full time jobs, and homes and families to care for.

Old 10-28-2017, 07:18 PM

4,480 posts, read 2,663,831 times
I need a place that's walkable as a basic necessity, including a moderate walk to work. There are some good small towns left (in a very limited way) including some with college or tourism focuses, but I also like big cities. Density is important both because I like it and because it supports the ability to walk to most needs. About 8-10 urban cores in the US would be good enough.

Old 10-28-2017, 07:43 PM

2,866 posts, read 1,255,414 times
It does have some impact I think.

A person will be happier living in his/her preferred area or the types of locations that match his/her preferences.

I strongly prefer to live in cloudy, snowy, rainy places which have cool summers and 4 definite seasons. I don't like places that have hot summers, lack seasonality, or get a lot of sun. Syracuse, Rochester, Cleveland...these would be good places for me. Phoenix, Orlando, Los Angeles...those would be bad places for me.

I've lived places that I did not like before and didn't stay long...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or