U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2017, 07:55 PM
NCN

21,135 posts, read 21,878,713 times

Advertisements

Where you live definitely makes a difference.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2017, 07:12 PM

1,234 posts, read 635,913 times
I say it depends on the individual and what do they want. Not just what you but what's best for your family. The Coast can be a right place for some families but the Coast isn't for everybody. The Midwest, the South and the West same thing. If you have a good paying job, quality of life and your kids are well-educated; I say it doesn't matter where somebody lives. Just because you move into a cool, desirable city doesn't make you cool. Just because you live in an non-glamorous city doesn't mean you uncool or unexposed.

Old 10-29-2017, 10:11 PM

6,795 posts, read 11,765,661 times
Only thing that matters to me is having a good airport with direct flights to most major American and International cities.. no place is perfect and I get sick of seeing the same place day after day after day so I need an easy way to get out whenever I want.

Other than that, where I live doesn't really matter as I spend the vast majority of my free time on the Internet if not traveling.

Old 10-30-2017, 05:59 AM

2,427 posts, read 1,664,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpringSnow View Post
I doubt it. You won't die if you move inland, and I bet you'd be happy too if you had the right career, family and friends.

Don't get me wrong, living near an ocean is nice but it's a cherry on the top kind of thing.

After decades of living on the ocean, these days I prefer high in the mountains myself where you have cool air, greenery, and panoramas.
I don't doubt her at all.

I love living near water. As an adult my first house was on a river, the second near a larger river and now by the Gulf. Being a land locked mid-westerner as a kid, we went on vacations to the Outer Banks of North Carolina and then on to the Smoky Mountains every year. I liked the mountain vistas, but the first time I saw the ocean, I was in love. The quality of light near big water and clear horizons appeals to me.

As an adult I lived by the Hudson River and mountains in NY, a beautiful location. We started snowbirding to FL and the Gulf. It took a few years before I realized I was feeling closed in and slightly claustrophobic when returning to the mountains. As beautiful as a mountain vista is, my daily life took place down in the valley.

I've been happy wherever I lived. My dream would be to live in a house with a ocean view with mountains behind. Being an average person, I'm happy I can to bike to the beach.

Last edited by jean_ji; 10-30-2017 at 07:17 AM..

Old 10-30-2017, 06:33 AM

9,382 posts, read 9,532,267 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ragnarkar View Post
Only thing that matters to me is having a good airport with direct flights to most major American and International cities.. no place is perfect and I get sick of seeing the same place day after day after day so I need an easy way to get out whenever I want.

Other than that, where I live doesn't really matter as I spend the vast majority of my free time on the Internet if not traveling.
That is not true, you spend 90% of your time where you live, it doesn't matter how many exotic destinations are at your fingertips if you are miserable where you live.

Old 10-30-2017, 07:23 AM

6,795 posts, read 11,765,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by btownboss4 View Post
That is not true, you spend 90% of your time where you live, it doesn't matter how many exotic destinations are at your fingertips if you are miserable where you live.
Ok, fine, since 90% of my life outside of work revolves around the internet, living in a place with high speed internet is a prerequisite. So yeah, you're right.

Old 10-31-2017, 01:06 PM

1,593 posts, read 831,682 times
You have to be really remote to not have access to high speed internet.

Old 10-31-2017, 05:35 PM

2,097 posts, read 1,522,521 times
I think it definitely matters.

My wife and I have lived in both densely populated areas, and also in rural area & suburbia, and we much prefer the suburbs/rural areas. We couldn’t deal with the hustle and bustle of a super populated area, and it made us hate where we were.

Also, we are outdoorsy people who like hiking, biking, etc...That’s been part of our lives forever, and if it were “gone” or limited it would change everything we enjoy doing.

Old 11-01-2017, 07:42 AM

10,553 posts, read 13,109,387 times
Of course it matters. I would be miserable living in a rural location in America. And most suburbs are even worse.

Old 11-01-2017, 01:41 PM

8,961 posts, read 4,099,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thoreau424 View Post
I've started to learn to be less location-oriented. I really don't like where I currently live, but now see that there are benefits in trying to be okay (or even happy with) a location, even when it seems so off and so wrong. It can be beneficial to experience that, for a good mental adjustment (I'm starting to think that's why it all happened in the first place).

If you can find a way to be happy anywhere, you're sort of transcended mind over matter. And if you move on/back to a place where you love, you'll likely be doubly happy and appreciative.
I moved back to my hometown five years ago and strongly dislike it. I don't resonate with the culture. I'm never going to be an ultra-conservative, Trump-supporting fundamentalist Baptist. The amount of influence the radical Christian Right has over the government here is astounding for a nation that supposedly has separation of church and state. I call it "Y'all-Queda." My first three years back here were the most miserable years of my life. Over the past two years, I've been trying to have the kind of attitude you have and it has made it a bit more tolerable. There are days when I hate the place so much I want to punch somebody but for the most part, I'm doing my best to live my life until 2020 gets here and I can finally move and have learned to tolerate it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or