U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2009, 04:42 PM

129 posts, read 441,707 times

Advertisements

Do you think that it matters where you live? Does the quality of your life change whether you live in place A or place B?

Or will a person who is happy in A also be happy in B, while an unhappy person will be still unhappy in both?

Do you think there are certain places that "match" us each, and therefore creates an environment where we feel at home in and happy in....or do you think people will be still the same people no matter where they go?

I'm unsure where I stand on this issue. Many people think "Oh I hate this place" or "i love that place". Cities, places, where we go, where we live...are so personal to us. How many people thought "when I move here, everything will be so much better?" only to learn that people are the same wherever we go...there are kind people, mean people, rich, poor, good-looking, not good-looking, deep, superficial, whatever.... all kinds of people wherever we go. At the same time, different locations provide much more of different things. And just as we as people have different preferences, cities have preferences too....some have more peace and quiet, some have more fun and a great night-life, some have a culture of people who are more friendly, some have people who tend to be more direct and to-the-point.

So what do you all think about this and what are your personal experiences? Has your life changed since you've moved somewhere else and how so? Or has it been the same? Do you think people will be the same wherever they go? Or do you think that location can be a variable to the quality of our lives?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2009, 04:48 PM

57 posts, read 175,103 times
Yes. There's no way I could live in a densely populated, heavily urbanized place like NYC. Just seems like such a stressful, miserable way to live.

Old 01-05-2009, 08:14 PM

1,573 posts, read 5,648,606 times
Good post. I think it matters generally where you lived, like the poster who lives in Rochester but couldn't live in Manhattan. But is someone automatically going to be happier in NYC than Chicago??? I don't think so. I think a person's happiness in a particular cities has EVERYTHING to do with the work they do, the friends the make there, and the "experiences" they have. I don't think I would necessarily like to live in Oklahoma City. But if I was single and moved there, met the woman of my dreams, found a terrific job, and made some great friends...I would probably LOVE it.

The other thing this post gets at is the idea (prevalent in this forum) that a certain yet-to-be-determiend city is perfect for them. If you have been unhappy in Los Angeles, Phoenix, Austin, Albuquerque, and Portland...it doesn't really follow that Boise is going to be your perfect city (unless you meet that person of your dreams, find the perfect job, etc). A lot of happiness has to do with attitude and outlook on life. That is something that a particular "city" cannot change.

Old 01-05-2009, 08:16 PM

2,248 posts, read 6,204,339 times
Not necessarily, no. I think, in general, it is what you make it. Some people will be inherently happy or unhappy wherever they are, but most of us will not.

Old 01-06-2009, 05:35 PM

6,046 posts, read 10,044,591 times
It matters where you live. If you like where you live, then no matter what goes wrong, you at least have something going for you. If you hate where you live and everything goes wrong, then you're miserable.

Old 01-06-2009, 05:56 PM

20,517 posts, read 26,363,899 times
I would hate to live in a city. I love the wide open spaces, nature, and the privacy of living rural. I would be miserable in a concrete jungle. There's just too much stress and crowds in cities.

Old 01-06-2009, 05:58 PM

Location: from houstoner to bostoner to new yorker to new jerseyite ;)
4,085 posts, read 11,449,721 times
It matters a little. Some places are better than others, but no one place is for everyone. What I've discovered it boils down to is where you're at in life and what you value. For example, I've decided I value the convenience of not having to drive everywhere over sprawl, so I'm looking to blow this pop stand for a smaller, more walkable town pretty soon. It's served me well, though, and I will still love it, from afar.

Quote:
Originally Posted by city_data91 View Post
It matters where you live. If you like where you live, then no matter what goes wrong, you at least have something going for you. If you hate where you live and everything goes wrong, then you're miserable.
Ain't that the truth.

Old 01-06-2009, 06:17 PM

8,900 posts, read 13,230,919 times
Kind of. Ask my mom who had to move to south Florida from NY. It's a totally different culture and it's obviously a night and day difference in weather. Some people would be happy no matter where they live, but some of us really have roots in an area that have been there for generations. Sometimes it's very hard to move from an area your entire family is from.

Also, when you're used to a big city, some wouldn't want to live in a rural area. Just not something we'd be used to.

Old 01-06-2009, 06:45 PM

5,371 posts, read 9,856,251 times
I think each of us could live in several different places and find contentment, though discontented people would not find peace. Wherever you go, there you are...peace does come from within and not from without...you do take "you" with you wherever you go. No place will "cure" a troubled spirit, but a happy, socially minded friendly person can find contentment pretty much wherever they go.

But some places just feel more like home.

For me, San Francisco was a wonderful home and filled my needs for a number of years--it was an exciting place to be young in...but with passing years, I began to yearn for a smaller, quieter place, with less driving and less hectic lifestyle..where I could sit around my kitchen and share writing and laughter with other creative spirits without long freeway commutes...

So maybe different places suit us during different phases of our lives?

Some of us wouldn't be happy without the endless break of waves on the shore while others love the red rocks of Sedona and would hate the humidity of ocean-side. Others need the lush green of forest and woods to soothe themselves.

Guess that's what's great about our world--there's place enough to suit each of our needs...

Last edited by LittleDolphin; 01-06-2009 at 06:55 PM..

Old 01-06-2009, 06:47 PM

1,130 posts, read 1,358,684 times
It depends on your preferences. I moved from the Boston area which was too crowded and too much traffic congestion for me and, after visiting upstate NY, decided I would like to live there so moved to Syracuse, NY area then, a few years later to the smaller city of Binghamton, NY and finally to a few miles outside Utica, NY. I have travelled throughout the US and haven't found a great difference in the people of various areas. Yes, there are good and bad sections in all areas and everything in between, but in general people are the same all over and each place is what you make of it. I had no beef with people, I was looking more for a life style and after several years decided on a rural area surrounded by farms, horses, wide open spaces etc. and love the privacy and attitude of the people and yes, I don't mind the winters. I don't think I would like living in a hot climate - don't take the heat well.
If you can make friends you can make them anywhere.
The big difference for me was country living as oppossed to urban living.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or