U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city is experiencing the biggest demographic shift??
Chicago 8 9.76%
Atlanta 26 31.71%
Washington, D.C. 14 17.07%
New York City 9 10.98%
Boston 1 1.22%
Houston 13 15.85%
St. Louis 2 2.44%
Los Angeles 22 26.83%
Detroit 4 4.88%
San Francisco 8 9.76%
Philadelphia 1 1.22%
Baltimore 1 1.22%
Cleveland 0 0%
Seattle 2 2.44%
Other 11 13.41%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 82. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2009, 10:08 PM

3,664 posts, read 8,836,042 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by I Am Anonymous View Post
Why does everyone keep ragging on L.A. and it's Mexican population? If there Illegal than how can they be a citizen and thus be counted in Los Angeles population? Also isn't San Diego closer to the border, last time I checked it is, so how all of a sudden did all the Mexican migrate up to L.A. when San Diego is right there. Wouldn't San Diego have a higher population of Mexican than L.A.?
If you're talking about San Diego city proper, than the population is roughly 75% white. There are other cities within San Diego County that have a larger Mexican population, such as Chula Vista and El Cajon.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2011, 11:06 PM

915 posts, read 1,495,292 times
Quote:
877 posts, read 1,252,913 times

LA is headed down the all-Hispanic route.

It's DEFINITELY surpassed 50% now. Hell, I'd say it's hovering around 60%.
Surprisingly, LA is still not 50% Hispanic; it's still hovering around 48%. However, LA county's Hispanic population proportion has increased substantially over the past several years.

Quote:
Which city is experiencing the biggest demographic shift??
I think right GA and NC are probably experiencing the biggest demographic shifts since they had virtually no Hispanics and Asians a decade ago and now have substantial concentrations of both groups.

Old 06-05-2011, 11:28 PM

210 posts, read 183,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bballniket View Post
Surprisingly, LA is still not 50% Hispanic; it's still hovering around 48%. However, LA county's Hispanic population proportion has increased substantially over the past several years.

I think right GA and NC are probably experiencing the biggest demographic shifts since they had virtually no Hispanics and Asians a decade ago and now have substantial concentrations of both groups.
Los Angeles has a very large population of illegal immigrants so that city is already way over 50% Hispanic, its just that they aren't counted in the census.

Old 06-06-2011, 12:42 AM

915 posts, read 1,495,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bballniket

Los Angeles has a very large population of illegal immigrants so that city is already way over 50% Hispanic, its just that they aren't counted in the census.
You're probably correct, but the same could be said of many cities since we don't know how large the undocumented population of any city is.

Old 06-06-2011, 01:19 AM

1,528 posts, read 5,711,063 times
such an arbitrary question.
What do you mean???
A 1% shift in NYC would mean the same as a 5% shift in Houston.
Percentages? Numbers? Ethnicity?

Old 06-06-2011, 10:41 AM

13,217 posts, read 17,945,732 times
Is any other major U.S. city getting younger like Pittsburgh is?

Old 06-06-2011, 11:08 PM

1,080 posts, read 1,983,710 times
Minneapolis is I think.

Old 06-07-2011, 12:03 AM

2,176 posts, read 970,370 times
Lets just be honest here. Just about every major city in the US is having tons of hispanics and illegals moving in.

Old 06-07-2011, 04:24 AM

30 posts, read 361,820 times
I voted "Other". Itís extremely apparent from this forum & from my own life experiences that the majority of the country is being shaken up demographically by the Great Recession.

Since itís the only economically sensible way to get around, I take the bus around the country often (wasting time looking for jobs and visiting my family in the Midwest) and I can't believe the number of people uprooting and moving all over the place. (If you are upper middle class or wealthy and you stick your nose up at riding a bus, you are missing out on some great conversations and insight from interesting people from all over the country. Plane travel is extremely impersonal and pat downs make it extremely uncomfortable not to mention & unthinkable for anyone that actually values their personal freedom.)

I live beautiful upstate NY and most of my family is in IL and Missouri. Almost needless to say my deep blue state of IL where my family has lived for 5 generations is struggling greatly and I was laid off in 2008 due to budget cuts and lack of work. Sadly, yet another deep blue state has let me down. My wife and I (both highly educated, of excellent moral character, and extremely hard working) were both laid off do to both budget cuts and lack of work so we will soon be joining the herds of people leaving the dismal economy of (upstate/ western) New York. I sincerely doubt I will put my faith in yet another blue state. I'm not suicidal after all.

Young people in their 20's & lower/ lower-middle class Americans of all ages who tire of America's idealists promising a "very slow & steady" recovery simply cannot wait for 10-20 years for the nearly lifeless economy of America's blue states to get back on their feet. America's most promising youth & lower classes struggling to climb the economic ladder are being scattered around the country like pick up sticks. Sadly, many of these same people (America's youth, etc) voted into office in November 2008 the same people that would soon be their demise. A very tough life lesson I'm sure they will never forget. Interestingly, most of these marbles rolling around the country are being concentrated in Texas.

Needless to say, my family is strongly considering southern Republican states like Texas primarily due to low taxes and job creation. Not to mention, it seems like Texans still remember its OK to be friendly to other people, something that jaded northeasterners forgot how to do long ago. From other posts I've seen thatís where everyone else is going.

[SIZE=3] [/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]I'm Just saying, t[/SIZE]his may explain your demographic changes in Atlanta & other struggling cities. I've seen on Texas's forum that there are entire communities of Texas that are relocated Californians. Lets just pray the deep subconscious of these relocated blue staters does not corrupt perhaps the last great hope of America - the lone star state.

If only the other states and D.C. could adapt Texas' common sense economic policies maybe fewer people and families would be torn apart and we could stay in region of the USA where our families are and that we are accustomed to.
[SIZE=3] [/SIZE]

Old 06-07-2011, 06:10 AM

56,510 posts, read 80,803,243 times
Just wondering, where in Upstate NY are you and what kind of work can you do? By the way, look into Iowa, Nebraska or Kansas.

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 06-07-2011 at 06:37 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or