Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city is experiencing the biggest demographic shift??
Chicago 8 9.76%
Atlanta 26 31.71%
Washington, D.C. 14 17.07%
New York City 9 10.98%
Boston 1 1.22%
Houston 13 15.85%
St. Louis 2 2.44%
Los Angeles 22 26.83%
Detroit 4 4.88%
San Francisco 8 9.76%
Philadelphia 1 1.22%
Baltimore 1 1.22%
Cleveland 0 0%
Seattle 2 2.44%
Other 11 13.41%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 82. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2009, 07:25 PM

93,185 posts, read 123,783,345 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlantaGuy404 View Post
Atlanta- White population is increasing rapidly while the black one is declining as lower-income blacks are forced to move to the suburbs as city life becomes increasing popular especially with higher gas prices

D.C- See Atlanta but also throw in a growing Latino population as well as the white one

Los Angeles County- Latinos are taking over South Central and are literally ridding the areas of blacks.

Harlem, NYC- Has seen white population triple in the past years

Palm Beach County- Huge decrease in white population as blacks and latino population grows

Overall I'd expect most cities to see a huge increase in Hispanics.
Pretty soon, the US will look like many metro areas in Europe, where the poor people of color live in the suburbs and the city is where the upper middle class and up live. France is a great example of what I'm saying.

Other areas that can be included in your post are the Historically Black area of NE Portland Oregon being changed due to more Whites moving in and Blacks moving to suburbs like Gresham, Beaverton and across the river to Vancouver, Washington. Parts of NYC like Bed-Stuy in Brooklyn and the South Bronx are even changing a bit. Even in Syracuse where I'm from there is something called the West Side Initiative in conjunction with Syracuse University, that is supposed to bring artists and such to this area that is one of the poorest neighborhoods in the US and it's demographics are 41% Black, 30% White, 26% Hispanic and 2% Native American.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2009, 07:28 PM

64 posts, read 91,638 times
You are correct about how in Europe the wealthy live in the city while the further out you go the poorer the people get. My mother was from Rome and she used to take pride about living right in the heart of the city.

Old 01-05-2009, 07:33 PM

Quote:
You are correct about how in Europe the wealthy live in the city while the further out you go the poorer the people get. My mother was from Rome and she used to take pride about living right in the heart of the city.
I can see how the US is headed down that road in the major and mid-major cities. It's actually been happening for a while, but people are just really starting to notice. For instance, you will be surprised at how many suburban apartment complexes take Section 8 for instance. I know they do in some complexes in my area and this has been going on for about 10-12 years or so. Usually, they are clustered together or are separated from the "main" parts of many suburban communities, almost forming a "ghetto" in the 'burbs.

Old 01-05-2009, 07:38 PM

8,256 posts, read 17,336,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by King0fthehill View Post
LA is headed down the all-Hispanic route.

It's DEFINITELY surpassed 50% now. Hell, I'd say it's hovering around 60%.
Terrible, ain't it? Something needs to be done against illegal immigration immediately.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
and Whites are moving into NYC too. Many Black people are moving back to the South as well. If they do stay in the North it is either the suburbs or to smaller cities in that state or region. For instance, you see more and more Black people in cities in Upstate NY like Binghamton, Plattsburgh, Oswego, Cortland, Ithaca, Auburn, Watertown, etc. Many of these small cities have state colleges and universities that are growing a bit too. In the case of Watertown, Fort Drum Army Base brings a lot of Black people to the area and that county(Jefferson County) is one of the fastest growing counties in NY state. Many are going to Orange County, the fastest growing county in NY state.

Hispanic communities are growing in Upstate NY too in cities and even towns big and small. We have small cities like Dunkirk and Amsterdam with pretty large Hispanic(mainly Puerto Rican) communities. Same with some communities in Orange and Ulster Counties too.

In some large cities like LA, Hispanics are replacing Blacks too. Inglewood and Lynwood are two examples of this. Same with parts of South Central too. Many of these blacks are moving either to the South, to other Western cities like Las Vegas or to surrounding counties like Orange County, Riverside County or San Bernadino County.
My grandparents live in Utica, NY and say tons of Bosnians are moving into the Cornhill neighborhood. It's a very dangerous neighborhood, but as Bosnians move in, they take care of their homes very well and are very hardworking. Not sure where the blacks are moving to. And this is according to my grandparents, but I have noticed it a little when visiting.

Old 01-05-2009, 07:46 PM

6,613 posts, read 16,573,741 times
Default It's been happening for decades

Quote:
Most American cities had large upper income neighborhoods in the heart of the city in the late 18th and early 20th century. The upper income moved where they please. The more money you have the greater your choice of neighborhoods. In many cities, the term "gentrification" is a misnomer. It is more accurately stated as REgentrification. As "slums" were cleared in the 20th century and the upper income moved out to the burbs, the dislocated lower income folks moved into the former upper and middle income neighborhoods. Over time, change is constant in cities, and it's a cyclical thing.

Old 01-05-2009, 08:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessemh431 View Post
Terrible, ain't it? Something needs to be done against illegal immigration immediately.

My grandparents live in Utica, NY and say tons of Bosnians are moving into the Cornhill neighborhood. It's a very dangerous neighborhood, but as Bosnians move in, they take care of their homes very well and are very hardworking. Not sure where the blacks are moving to. And this is according to my grandparents, but I have noticed it a little when visiting.
Yup, you are right about Utica. Of course I know the city due to living about an hour from it. Bosnians make up about 10% of the city's population now too. Many Blacks have moved to East Utica, some to North Utica and some to West Utica. I know they tore down Washington Courts housing near the Aud recently too. South Utica still seems to be pretty nice still.

Cornhill actually seemed iffy to me due to the area being very dark looking and almost like a poor rural neighborhood in the middle of the city of Utica. While it mostly Black, it actually still has it's share of Whites and Hispanics there too. It is kind of like Syracuse's Near West side neighborhood. I will say that Utica is not as bad as some might think it is and has cleaned up a bit, in my opinion. It's still very Italian American and still keeps it's ethnic neighborhoods for the most part, intact. Got to hit up Manny's Cheesecake when I'm in town too. Utica also has a relatively decent Lebanese community too. Many live in New Hartford.

Old 01-05-2009, 08:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Around View Post
Most American cities had large upper income neighborhoods in the heart of the city in the late 18th and early 20th century. The upper income moved where they please. The more money you have the greater your choice of neighborhoods. In many cities, the term "gentrification" is a misnomer. It is more accurately stated as REgentrification. As "slums" were cleared in the 20th century and the upper income moved out to the burbs, the dislocated lower income folks moved into the former upper and middle income neighborhoods. Over time, change is constant in cities, and it's a cyclical thing.
good point. It is more of a regentrification of cities and I think it is a trend that is definately making a comeback.

Old 01-05-2009, 09:31 PM

8,256 posts, read 17,336,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Yup, you are right about Utica. Of course I know the city due to living about an hour from it. Bosnians make up about 10% of the city's population now too. Many Blacks have moved to East Utica, some to North Utica and some to West Utica. I know they tore down Washington Courts housing near the Aud recently too. South Utica still seems to be pretty nice still.

Cornhill actually seemed iffy to me due to the area being very dark looking and almost like a poor rural neighborhood in the middle of the city of Utica. While it mostly Black, it actually still has it's share of Whites and Hispanics there too. It is kind of like Syracuse's Near West side neighborhood. I will say that Utica is not as bad as some might think it is and has cleaned up a bit, in my opinion. It's still very Italian American and still keeps it's ethnic neighborhoods for the most part, intact. Got to hit up Manny's Cheesecake when I'm in town too. Utica also has a relatively decent Lebanese community too. Many live in New Hartford.
Yeah, they live in South Utica and my aunt and uncle live in New Hartford.

I agree about Utica not being as bad as it used to be. Another large demographic shift for the metro area would be the amount of young families moving there. Three years ago I saw only old people. Last year, there were tons of 30-somethings with beautiful families all over. The Best Buy on Commercial Drive was packed. The new Marquee Theater nearby was quite busy as well. South Utica is still all old people. West Utica is still mostly Italian, but is getting more rundown in some parts, and Cornhill residents are starting to move there I think. Downtown is still a ghost town sadly, but the Stanley has been revived and bringing lots of new people there for events.

On a side note, not sure if you know where I'm talking about, but do you know where that big block of like 5-6 story brownstones is? It's near the art museum and a gas station. It's brown, but quite dirty. Well, that is one of my favorite buildings ever. I have no clue why, but I love it.

But yeah, for smaller cities, I would have to say the Utica metro is changing drastically, some areas for the worse, some for the better.

Old 01-06-2009, 12:40 AM

4,552 posts, read 15,021,956 times
I've been noticing in Albuquerque over the past year that more and more African American families are popping up. White people are moving in too faster than any other race, all the hispanics I have ever met here are local New Mexican's or from Mexico, not too many hispanics from other states for some reason.

Old 01-06-2009, 01:26 AM

2,016 posts, read 5,581,185 times
2 kinds of demographics one based on race and one based on economics. The first would be L.A. and S.F., everytime I visit CA it seems as there are fewer and fewer middle class white Americans. S.F. is becoming the center of Asian immigration in the United States and L.A. the center of Hispanic immigration in the United States. Economic wise, the term is gentrification, while most cities are seeing this trend, D.C. and Atlanta in particular are seeing a wave of young, affluent population moving to the urban areas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.