U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Cities you feel a inferiority complex existant or superioity+inferiority complex combined.
NYC 2 2.53%
LA 5 6.33%
CHICAGO 18 22.78%
Houston 27 34.18%
Phoenix 3 3.80%
Philly 7 8.86%
San Antonio 1 1.27%
San Diego 1 1.27%
Dallas-FortWorth 2 2.53%
Bay Area (San Francisco, Oakland San Jose), CA 1 1.27%
Detroit 2 2.53%
Jacksonville 1 1.27%
Indianapolis 1 1.27%
Columbus 0 0%
Austin 0 0%
Memphis 1 1.27%
D.C. 0 0%
Charlotte 2 2.53%
Boston 0 0%
Seattle 0 0%
Milwaukee 4 5.06%
Miami 0 0%
Orlando 0 0%
Las Vegas 0 0%
Denver 1 1.27%
Voters: 79. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2009, 03:31 PM

2,015 posts, read 5,011,272 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK123 View Post
If you define it that way, there is no way Houston should be winning this poll. Obviously the people voting for it are not familiar with Houston.
Well you quoted my first definition of "superiority" complex but the poll is rather questioning the second definition rather of "inferiority" complex. I do apologize for forgetting to put Atlanta in there, it might of balanced things off a bit but we'll see how this poll goes and then I'll put up a better one if needed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2009, 03:55 PM

1,226 posts, read 2,717,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by houstoner View Post
I think it makes sense. Both cities seem to feel overlooked and overshadowed (Chicago by NYC and L.A., Houston by other Texas cities and to some extent maybe Atlanta) and seem to always be shouting out, "Hey! Over here! Look at me!"
I think Houston may indeed consider it's self overshadowed by the other 3 major US cities in their prospective geographical areas (ie: NYC NE, Chicago N, LA W, Houston S.), but by other Texas cities???....lol. That's a first to me.

Old 01-06-2009, 03:58 PM

15,989 posts, read 30,728,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TX_AGGIE13 View Post
I think Houston may indeed consider it's self overshadowed by the other 3 major US cities in their prospective geographical areas (ie: NYC NE, Chicago N, LA W, Houston S.), but by other Texas cities???....lol. That's a first to me.
Dallas overshadows Houston.

Old 01-06-2009, 04:00 PM

8,931 posts, read 11,830,478 times
How about everybody just shuts the hell up?

Old 01-06-2009, 04:11 PM

15,989 posts, read 30,728,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nairobi View Post
How about everybody just shuts the hell up?
no one talking.....

Old 01-06-2009, 04:13 PM

1,226 posts, read 2,717,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jluke65780 View Post
Dallas overshadows Houston.
Lol...that's a good one! Dallas is only a collaboration of it's self and Ft. Worth.....not even it's own place. If you are saying that the Dallas, Fort Worth, and Arlington combination "Metro" overshadows the Houston Metro you have somewhat of an argument, but even San Antonio overshadows Dallas....

Old 01-06-2009, 04:14 PM

There's one thing I need someone to make clear for me, though. Is everybody here basing their opinions on what people say on this forum, or what they get from day-to-day life?

Old 01-06-2009, 04:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jluke65780 View Post
no one talking.....
...cause the face ain't gonna listen

Old 01-06-2009, 04:24 PM

Location: from houstoner to bostoner to new yorker to new jerseyite ;)
4,085 posts, read 11,464,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nairobi View Post
There's one thing I need someone to make clear for me, though. Is everybody here basing their opinions on what people say on this forum, or what they get from day-to-day life?
It's kind of mixed, I think.

I think, both online and in real life, Dallas overshadows Houston in people's perception, but not in reality. There isn't much of anything Dallas has that Houston doesn't. It's just that Houston has such a bad image nationally and isn't very tourist-friendly so when people think of Texas, they think of Dallas and other cities first. I'd argue that Austin is starting to overshadow it, too, in some ways. San Antonio never has. Now, I don't think Houstonians feel Atlanta overshadows Houston for the same reasons as Dallas, but again in the general public's mind, it seems to.

I'd like to add that I think this is changing, though. Houston is shedding its image problem and looking better and better all the time.

Old 01-06-2009, 04:52 PM

7,150 posts, read 9,934,593 times
[quote=lrfox;6865362]No. In fact, because it's not a transient place and most people in ME and Portland ME are originally from the area (or at least from New England), saying "Portland" simply means Portland, Maine to them. I've never encountered anyone who asked, "do you mean Portland, Maine or Oregon?" or even seen someone who assumed I (or whomever was speaking) was speaking about any place other than Portland, Maine. If Portland Oregon DOES come up, it's referred to as "Portland Oregon." So, to Mainers, there are two Portlands... "Portland" [meaning Portland, ME] and "Portland, Oregon." The only reason "Oregon" is added to the end of the West Coast Portland is due lack of familiarity and distance from the East Coast one... not because of an inferiority or superiority complex in that regard. However, If you go as far as Southern New England (MA, RI, and CT) it's a bit different... people tend to have to qualify it as either Portland, ME or Portland, OR. Portland Maine's significance is felt much less outside of Maine (and Eastern NH) and Southern New England is more transient so there can be confusion if you simply use, "Portland."

The inferiority complex that exists in Portland Me has more to do with Portland vs. Boston and the rest of New England than anything else. In fact, I don't think people in Portland ME give a second thought about Oregon. They know it's there, they know the one in ME is much smaller, but it's so far away and irrelevant to Maine that it's rarely an issue or topic of discussion or debate.[/quote]

Large cities often provide cultural and economic benefits to smaller towns and cities around them that might not be available otherwise. On the other hand they sometimes drain the smaller cities of the same things!

Boston has a greater impact than most because it is the capital of New England. It thus has a much larger metro area (6 states) than it could otherwise. It is completely understandable for economic reasons that Massachusetts promotes this. It is debatable if the other 5 states benefit to the same extent.

Do not get wrong - regional cooperation is one of the charms of New England and I wish the Mid Atlantic was the same way. But not if the price is one city gets to be the "captial", has the museums, the attention and all the sports teams while other cities (in NE Hartford, Springfield, New Haven, Providence, Portsmouth and your own Portland etc.) become minor cultural backwaters.

Rhode Island in particular should be trying to promote Providence - the capital of Rhode Island.

Do you think I am wrong or on to something?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or