U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Cities you feel a inferiority complex existant or superioity+inferiority complex combined.
NYC 2 2.53%
LA 5 6.33%
CHICAGO 18 22.78%
Houston 27 34.18%
Phoenix 3 3.80%
Philly 7 8.86%
San Antonio 1 1.27%
San Diego 1 1.27%
Dallas-FortWorth 2 2.53%
Bay Area (San Francisco, Oakland San Jose), CA 1 1.27%
Detroit 2 2.53%
Jacksonville 1 1.27%
Indianapolis 1 1.27%
Columbus 0 0%
Austin 0 0%
Memphis 1 1.27%
D.C. 0 0%
Charlotte 2 2.53%
Boston 0 0%
Seattle 0 0%
Milwaukee 4 5.06%
Miami 0 0%
Orlando 0 0%
Las Vegas 0 0%
Denver 1 1.27%
Voters: 79. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2009, 05:00 PM

7,129 posts, read 9,899,963 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by radiodude84 View Post
Houston does not have one at all - I've never heard people here talk one way or another, they're very matter-of-fact and laid back.

I've noticed Chicago seems to have one - their whole nickname is the "second city" (isn't L.A. or SF more of the second city than Chicago?????) and they constantly try to pretend to be NYC when they aren't even close! They should be happy as what they are - a good down to earth midwest city!

Also, I've noticed Atlanta tries to be all big and bad and compete with Houston/L.A. all the time in terms of importance/diversity. They should relax it's a good city in its own right, just different.
Chicago is not NYC - every city is different. But I disagree with you, it is the most similar city to New York I can think of. Toronto, Boston, Philadelphia & San Francisco are also similar to the first two but smaller. Which I consider a good thing!

I agree with you that Atlanta is a good city. Hopefully they can avoid the mistakes of the more crowded and dirty cities elsewhere. They get attacked alot but I think they are coming along nicely.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2009, 05:04 PM

6,865 posts, read 12,804,298 times
Where is Atlanta? It's usually on every poll.

Old 01-06-2009, 05:19 PM

7,991 posts, read 16,048,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LINative View Post

Do not get wrong - regional cooperation is one of the charms of New England and I wish the Mid Atlantic was the same way. But not if the price is one city gets to be the "captial", has the museums, the attention and all the sports teams while other cities (in NE Hartford, Springfield, New Haven, Providence, Portsmouth and your own Portland etc.) become minor cultural backwaters.

Rhode Island in particular should be trying to promote Providence - the capital of Rhode Island.

Do you think I am wrong or on to something?
I think you may be on to something, but I'm not sure I FULLY agree. I agree that the places you mention should try to identify with their region (and actually, many of them do) instead of being just a cog in a larger machine. However, their size and proximity only allow for a certain degree of that.

There is no way Portland will be able to compare with (for example) Boston in terms of healthcare. If extra care is needed, then People from Portland will go to Boston. A city of 63,000 can't support that type of specialization. Same with sports. While almost every city you listed has at least a minor league sports franchise (except Portsmouth), they don't have the population to support a Major League franchise (for an example, see: Hartford Whalers).

While Boston overshadows many of those cities in the region, many more stand out in their own right. For example, Providence has a GREAT nightlife, great culture, great dining, etc. It has an excellent music scene, performing arts and some great minor league sports. It certainly has its own identity. Newport RI, Portsmouth NH, and Portland ME are the same way.

The difference is, the people in those other cities know where they stand in every way when compared to Boston. For example- everyone in Providence knows that nightlife, dining, etc are all a notch above in Boston than they are in Providence; yet that doesn't take away from how great of a city Providence is. Portland has trouble with this. Portland has a unique culture and some great attractions (not to mention beautiful scenery). The problem is that many people here give it much more credit than it deserves. While it's great for a city of 60,000... it's not spectacular in the bigger picture and too many in Portland don't realize that. It's evident in how defensive many Mainers and people in Portland get when you don't go gaga over what's going on in Portland (be it the arts, dining, nightlife, etc). They love to say how great it is (and it is pretty good) and compare it with other cities, but if you say something even moderately negative they are quick to get overly-defensive. It's just too self-congratulatory of a Place for what it has. There are times when I feel like some people (again not all... I don't want to paint a bad picture of people in Portland) in Portland Maine pat themselves on the back for using the restroom.

I guess I feel like many times people in Portland feel, UNDESERVINGLY, that their city is better than others and if you argue that, they get VERY offended. While many other New England cities have their niche and are OK with it, Portland gives the feeling that many of the people there feel that they deserve more credit than they really do.

Old 01-06-2009, 05:28 PM

2,015 posts, read 5,004,409 times
Thank you all for the responses, I have upgraded a newer and better poll, please vote and comment on version 2.0 in the general U.S. forum.

Old 01-06-2009, 05:30 PM

4,953 posts, read 8,535,344 times
Chicago and New York are nothing alike IMO! That's what make Chicago a great place. I don't think anyone will ever confuse the two.

Old 01-06-2009, 05:34 PM

2,601 posts, read 4,069,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by radiodude84 View Post
Houston does not have one at all - I've never heard people here talk one way or another, they're very matter-of-fact and laid back.

I've noticed Chicago seems to have one - their whole nickname is the "second city" (isn't L.A. or SF more of the second city than Chicago?????) and they constantly try to pretend to be NYC when they aren't even close! They should be happy as what they are - a good down to earth midwest city!

Also, I've noticed Atlanta tries to be all big and bad and compete with Houston/L.A. all the time in terms of importance/diversity. They should relax it's a good city in its own right, just different.
Chicago is called the Second City because of the Chicago fire. It has been the Chicago nickname since the city was rebuilt (hence the "second city"). Chicago is also called the "Windy City", but Second City is what most people think of when they think of Chicago.

Have you heard of Second City in Chicago - the improv club in Chicago. Many of the cast from Saturday Night Live got their starts there - John Belushi, Mike Meyers, Bill Murray, Gilda Radner, John Candy, Tina Fey, Steve Carrell and many more (courtesy of Wikipedia). This name is ingrained and will not change, and has nothing to do with the fact that they are now the third largest city instead of the second. Also, Chicago is bigger than San Francisco (you seemed to question that).

Old 01-06-2009, 06:00 PM

2,897 posts, read 4,357,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TX_AGGIE13 View Post
Lol...that's a good one! Dallas is only a collaboration of it's self and Ft. Worth.....not even it's own place. If you are saying that the Dallas, Fort Worth, and Arlington combination "Metro" overshadows the Houston Metro you have somewhat of an argument, but even San Antonio overshadows Dallas....
Right. That's like saying Buffalo overshadows NYC.

San Antonio could be called 'Mushroom City' because it grows in the shadow of Austin (Home of the Aggie whippin 'Horns!).

Old 01-06-2009, 06:20 PM

Thanks for the detailed response Irfox and I must apologize - I was not aware that Portland only has 60,000 people!

But Connecticut and Rhode Island might be in a different boat and while there are major advantages to being between NYC and Beantown, economic, cultural etc there are certainly disadvantages.

Connecticut is a wealthy state that has over 3.5 million people and can certainly better develop Hartford, Bridgeport or New Haven for instance - so that in more cases the bigger cities are not needed. Keep more money in the family so to speak!

Providence and the state of Rhode Island could be planned as more like a city-state like wealthy Singapore! Ok that would take some planning!

Anyway I am way off topic again.

Old 01-06-2009, 06:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC's Finest View Post
Chicago and New York are nothing alike IMO! That's what make Chicago a great place. I don't think anyone will ever confuse the two.
Nothing alike? Nothing at all?

Well I would not want to defend that position in a court of law!

Start by taking a look at a picture of their downtown areas. Might provide a clue or two!

Old 01-07-2009, 10:31 AM

4,953 posts, read 8,535,344 times
LI,

NYC DT area and Midtown are nothing like the Loop IMO. I don't know of anyone who confuses the look and feel of Chicago with New York. I have been to both places many times. Hell, I lived in Brooklyn half my life and I have never seen any similarities other than density. First NYC does not have the EL anking through its DT. Second, Chicago's streets are wider but NY has 5 times as many buildings in Manhattan alone. The architecture is quite different especially in the residential neighborhoods. Chicago's lake is major part of the city's DT setting. Where as NY doesn't use it surrounding waters the same way. Plus Chicago also doesn't have the big tourist areas like Time Square. NY is filthy in places and also has a certain smell. Chicago's DT is one of the cleanest I have seen outside of Europe. Chicago has way more over head street lights than any city other than LA. In fact, Philly gives me more of a NYC vibe (Brooklyn) in some spots.

Court Adjourned!

Last edited by DC's Finest; 01-07-2009 at 11:33 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or