Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Cities you feel a inferiority complex existant or superioity+inferiority complex combined.
NYC 2 2.53%
LA 5 6.33%
CHICAGO 18 22.78%
Houston 27 34.18%
Phoenix 3 3.80%
Philly 7 8.86%
San Antonio 1 1.27%
San Diego 1 1.27%
Dallas-FortWorth 2 2.53%
Bay Area (San Francisco, Oakland San Jose), CA 1 1.27%
Detroit 2 2.53%
Jacksonville 1 1.27%
Indianapolis 1 1.27%
Columbus 0 0%
Austin 0 0%
Memphis 1 1.27%
D.C. 0 0%
Charlotte 2 2.53%
Boston 0 0%
Seattle 0 0%
Milwaukee 4 5.06%
Miami 0 0%
Orlando 0 0%
Las Vegas 0 0%
Denver 1 1.27%
Voters: 79. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2009, 11:34 AM

8,928 posts, read 14,339,761 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago60614 View Post
Jeez, this is just going to start wars.

I guess I've noticed it a bit with Houston. The Dallas area is 6.4M while Houston is 5.7M, but I never seem to notice Dallas people pointing out how huge the city has gotten or pushing the city non-stop. Houston is coming up left and right in every topic because they happen to have the 4th highest number of people living within the city limits. I've always thought city limits were fairly arbitrary lines drawn through Urban Areas, which is what we really associate with "LA" or "Dallas" or "Boston".
The only reason you don't hear much from Dallasites is because there aren't too many of them that frequent this forum for whatever reason. There are quite a few Houstonians, though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2009, 12:01 PM

12,868 posts, read 22,026,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by toughguy View Post
Do they get mad when someone refers to Portland without qualifying it with either Portland, OR or Portland, ME (and they are actually talking about Portland, OR).
No. In fact, because it's not a transient place and most people in ME and Portland ME are originally from the area (or at least from New England), saying "Portland" simply means Portland, Maine to them. I've never encountered anyone who asked, "do you mean Portland, Maine or Oregon?" or even seen someone who assumed I (or whomever was speaking) was speaking about any place other than Portland, Maine. If Portland Oregon DOES come up, it's referred to as "Portland Oregon." So, to Mainers, there are two Portlands... "Portland" [meaning Portland, ME] and "Portland, Oregon." The only reason "Oregon" is added to the end of the West Coast Portland is due lack of familiarity and distance from the East Coast one... not because of an inferiority or superiority complex in that regard. However, If you go as far as Southern New England (MA, RI, and CT) it's a bit different... people tend to have to qualify it as either Portland, ME or Portland, OR. Portland Maine's significance is felt much less outside of Maine (and Eastern NH) and Southern New England is more transient so there can be confusion if you simply use, "Portland."

The inferiority complex that exists in Portland Me has more to do with Portland vs. Boston and the rest of New England than anything else. In fact, I don't think people in Portland ME give a second thought about Oregon. They know it's there, they know the one in ME is much smaller, but it's so far away and irrelevant to Maine that it's rarely an issue or topic of discussion or debate.

Last edited by lrfox; 01-06-2009 at 12:09 PM..

Old 01-06-2009, 12:11 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,977,099 times
The whole state of Louisiana, west of Baton Rouge. They think of themselves as a part of the Texas Colonial Empire, and have no other aspiration than to become a Texan.

Old 01-06-2009, 12:13 PM

12,997 posts, read 13,644,862 times
I wouldn't have picked Atlanta if it were on this list (other cities suffer more city envy than it does) but I'm suprised it wasn't included.

Old 01-06-2009, 12:54 PM

13,354 posts, read 39,963,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestCobb View Post
I wouldn't have picked Atlanta if it were on this list (other cities suffer more city envy than it does) but I'm suprised it wasn't included.
I agree. I think our friends in Houston would've voted for Atlanta if it were on the list.

Old 01-06-2009, 01:28 PM

8,928 posts, read 14,339,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMT View Post
I agree. I think our friends in Houston would've voted for Atlanta if it were on the list.
No we would not have. You don't speak for us, thank you.

Old 01-06-2009, 01:32 PM

181 posts, read 849,462 times
Houston does not have one at all - I've never heard people here talk one way or another, they're very matter-of-fact and laid back.

I've noticed Chicago seems to have one - their whole nickname is the "second city" (isn't L.A. or SF more of the second city than Chicago?????) and they constantly try to pretend to be NYC when they aren't even close! They should be happy as what they are - a good down to earth midwest city!

Also, I've noticed Atlanta tries to be all big and bad and compete with Houston/L.A. all the time in terms of importance/diversity. They should relax it's a good city in its own right, just different.

Old 01-06-2009, 01:33 PM

181 posts, read 849,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
The whole state of Louisiana, west of Baton Rouge. They think of themselves as a part of the Texas Colonial Empire, and have no other aspiration than to become a Texan.
lol so true

Old 01-06-2009, 01:35 PM

6,963 posts, read 20,538,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by radiodude84 View Post
Houston does not have one at all - I've never heard people here talk one way or another, they're very matter-of-fact and laid back.

I've noticed Chicago seems to have one - their whole nickname is the "second city" (isn't L.A. or SF more of the second city than Chicago?????) and they constantly try to pretend to be NYC when they aren't even close! They should be happy as what they are - a good down to earth midwest city!

Also, I've noticed Atlanta tries to be all big and bad and compete with Houston/L.A. all the time in terms of importance/diversity. They should relax it's a good city in its own right, just different.
here we go....

Old 01-06-2009, 02:34 PM

5,717 posts, read 16,350,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by radiodude84 View Post
I've noticed Chicago seems to have one - their whole nickname is the "second city" (isn't L.A. or SF more of the second city than Chicago?????) and they constantly try to pretend to be NYC when they aren't even close!
There are actually people that still need this nickname explained to them???
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.