Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2009, 06:45 PM

8,978 posts, read 17,288,229 times

Advertisements

If you are talking to someone who knows the area; just say your suburb.

If you are talking to someone who knows nothing about your city; just say you are from the 'burbs or the main city.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2009, 06:45 PM

11 posts, read 26,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TX_AGGIE13 View Post
I think it's fine as long as your in the "Metro".....if not it's missleading.

Yes I agree with you. If your not apart of the city metro and you live out side of it you know in the county that metros in then you shouldn't say your from there.

Old 01-06-2009, 06:50 PM

492 posts, read 961,998 times
I would judge that on the source of news and entertainment. NYC being central to more than just Manhattan, I'd accept someone from White Plains saying they were from NYC.

Someone from Alpharetta, GA saying they were from Atlanta would be just as cool. Like, who the hell knows where Alpharetta is anyway?

Now, if someone from Kansas said they were from Atlanta just 'cause they watch CNN, well... I'd understand.

Old 01-06-2009, 06:54 PM

5,816 posts, read 15,914,110 times
Agreed with Westhou that it's not that big a deal. That is so much the case that I'm not all that aware of my usual answer to the "Where are you from" question. I'm pretty sure that sometimes I'll say I'm from Boston as a convenient way to identify the general area. I'm pretty sure that most of the time I say "near Boston." Anyone familiar with the area who wants to know more detail will ask.

Okay, it's true that in some areas people who live in the city proper take some kind of pride in that, and get picky if you are from the 'burbs and say you live in the city. That's their problem. You're not posing if you're just naming the city as a convenient way to identify the area.

Old 01-06-2009, 07:01 PM

117 posts, read 394,533 times
I usaully just say that I am from a suburb of minneapolis

Old 01-06-2009, 07:02 PM

20,515 posts, read 33,540,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC 38 View Post
If you are talking to someone who knows the area; just say your suburb.

If you are talking to someone who knows nothing about your city; just say you are from the 'burbs or the main city.
Good way of putting it. Most of time though in a conversation, you will talk to someone that is not familiar with your area. It's ok in my eyes. I live in Landover, Maryland but when out of town, I say I live in DC. It's easier and I don't care to explain to them where Landover is at and what is there. Not to mention that the people I'm talking about do not care about Landover and what is there.

I know in Chicago they make an emphasis that you are out in the suburbs as soon as you leave the city. I mean they have signs for you to go to the West Suburbs, Southwestern suburbs, etc. etc.

Old 01-06-2009, 07:26 PM

23,466 posts, read 44,083,751 times
atlantaguy, there is absolutely nothing wrong IMO with saying that you are from Atlanta to outsiders when you live in Alpharetta. It's all in the metro.

Old 01-06-2009, 07:33 PM

32,616 posts, read 77,608,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burgerflipper View Post
(What's the point of this thread?)
Roam around on the NEPA sub-forum sometime and notice just what happens if I tell someone "I'm from Scranton" when I live in a suburb about ten minutes to the south called Pittston Township. All hell breaks loose. Apparently you get to wear some sort of "badge of honor" if you live within the limits of the Electric City, and those who live in the suburbs "have no clue about how rough it is to live in the city." Then again they want to leech off of those of us in the affluent areas for their First Fridays, First Night celebrations, Steamtown Marathon, and so many other annual events that draw in tens of thousands of people to the downtown, mostly from the SUBURBS! They want to have their cake and eat it too. "You're not welcome to say you're from OUR town, but we'll take your high paychecks!"

Old 01-06-2009, 07:47 PM

12,283 posts, read 35,688,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachael84 View Post
Because it's a different state. Nassau County on Long Island is a lot more like Queens than NJ is like the Bronx or Brooklyn. NJ is its own state. People who came to visit me on LI thought it was NYC.
then those people need a crash course in geography. parts of NJ (hello - hudson county anyone?) are much more like queens or brooklyn than levittown, for instance. come on.

Old 01-06-2009, 07:48 PM

8,900 posts, read 15,937,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tahiti View Post
then those people need a crash course in geography. parts of NJ (hello - hudson county anyone?) are much more like queens or brooklyn than levittown, for instance. come on.
There are going to be a lot of people who disagree.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.