Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-04-2009, 10:55 AM

4,036 posts, read 9,241,558 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
im ok with that what i dont like is when they say they are from cairo or paris and vacationed there for 2 weeks --10 years ago.
Who in their right mind would say that? You can't vacation somewhere for two weeks and say you are from there. I vacationed in Europe a few years ago, it was the greatest trip of my life. I'm still paying for it by the way but that's another story LOL. But I would never say I'm from Europe because of one vacation. You gotta watch posers like that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2009, 11:07 AM

1,565 posts, read 4,341,336 times
No it's not okay. If your from the suburbs say your from the (city) area

Old 09-04-2009, 11:20 AM

4,036 posts, read 9,241,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lugger View Post
No because you could miss lead somebody about where you are from or live. Just say it like this: I'm from Bayonne in Jersey by way of New York City

Patterson, Newark, Irvington, Elizabeth, Jersey City, East Orange, Bayonne, etc... These are all urban cities, but some people still consider them the suburbs of New York City, but trust me they are no suburbs. These cities don't look anything like suburbs!!!!

This North Jersey area is right outside of New York City and its almost an extension of the city, however people still cearly say they are from Jersey!!!
Well New Jersey is definitely an exception to the rule. New Jersey has enough of an identity that it doesn't need to really associate with NYC. However most suburban areas have idenities that are dependent on their main city.

In the DC area I was practically crucified when a guy asked me where I was from and I said "here". When he found out I actually lived in the VA suburbs he was like you are not from "here". Suddenly I'm a foreigner who doesn't belong. So locally I tell people which suburb I live in of course my particular suburb is so low key that even the locals don't know where it is. So I just say I'm at the end of the orange line (subway train for those not in the DC area). So I just say I'm from VA and take it from there. DC folks will definitely try to distance themselves from the suburbs especially Virginia but at the end of the day we're cut from the same cloth.

But yeah when I'm outside the Dc area I just say I'm from DC. People in DC have never heard of my suburb do I really have time to explain it to someone who's never even been to DC? So people do want to be exact and for me I take pride in where I live but if no one has ever heard of it does it matter? So yeah if you live in a suburb just say you live in the suburbs of such and such city or just right outside of such and such city and call it a day.

Old 09-04-2009, 04:59 PM

1,301 posts, read 3,578,213 times
I live in a suburb but my mailing address is the name of the city.

Old 09-04-2009, 06:22 PM

5,643 posts, read 9,655,649 times
When you say where you are "from" that implies where were you born and raised. I was born and raised in Manhattan and spent 38 years living in NYC (Queens too) and 58 years in NYS. Why should I say I am "from" Naples, Florida where I have only lived there 2 years, and plan to move away from?

You should really say where are you living NOW.

Old 09-04-2009, 08:53 PM

6,071 posts, read 9,095,810 times
I live in lil suburb of Charleston, WV

If I tell people Im from "Clendenin" they ask where the heck is that

so I tell people I'm from charleston! the sad part is some people have never heard of that either.

I say it depends on what city. If its the size of Charleston aka "Charly West" it's ok
but if from LA, then no

Old 09-04-2009, 09:39 PM

1,082 posts, read 4,717,000 times
My vote is NOT. Because suburban living is qualitatively different in most ways than true urban living. That's like saying living in a small town is the same as living in the wilds of northern Canada: is isn't. Or like living on a lake is the same as living next to the ocean.

They are just different. People who want to say they live in a city want to sound sophisticated and all but suburbs basically are just one big chain restaurant along a freeway with a strip mall.

Old 09-04-2009, 10:02 PM

4,593 posts, read 9,192,619 times
I only say ''I'm from Chicago'' when talking to people not from the area. Other than that I usually say I'm from the ''Chicago area'' or ''Chicago burbs'' or just plain Harvey, IL. I think its alright when you're talking to outsiders. Some metros, the suburbanites love the city, while other metros the suburbs doesn't have a good relationship with the central city and feel independent. Detroit metro is a good example of suburbanites not wanting to associate with the city. I have a cousin that live in Southfield, MI and when ask where he lives , he usually say Southfield.

Last edited by Chicagoland60426; 09-04-2009 at 10:20 PM..

Old 09-05-2009, 03:55 PM

16,690 posts, read 29,506,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lmejh View Post
I have never said, "Oh, I'm from East Millcreek." There's no point. We all consider ourselves in Salt Lake County (suburbs included) as in Salt Lake City, except when we're talking to locals. Then saying what suburb we are from is okay because we know what we're talking about.
Perfectly stated and explained.

Old 09-05-2009, 05:08 PM

2,242 posts, read 6,238,787 times
Well, I lived in Chicago most of my life.
Now that I'm in a suburb people ask and I say MAywood and they think I'm some lame suburbanite.
So I say I'm from Chicago residing in MAywood

Even though most people would be afraid to drive through MAywood
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.