Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2009, 05:10 PM

93,189 posts, read 123,783,345 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachael84 View Post
My sister-in-law lives in Manlius, but says she lives in Syracuse since it's close (even though it's considered a suburb I think).
Yeah, it is an Eastern suburb of Syracuse. It's arguably the most affluent suburb of the area too. Skaneateles, Onondaga Hill, parts of DeWitt and some urban neighbrohoods like Scottholm, Strathmore, Sedgwick and Bradford Hills, among others are up there too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2009, 05:29 PM

1,682 posts, read 3,205,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Milwaukee City View Post
i think if your out of town it's okay or an hour away from your city you could say I'm from Milwaukee, but nobody in Wyoming has ever heard of your small suburb so just say the city your a part of.
Agreed. If I'm in another region, I'll just say that I live in Mississippi because the chances are likely that the person that I'm talking to has no idea where in Mississippi Jackson is located, much less care about the fact that Jackson has suburbs.

Locally, I'll mention the specific town; the suburb-city relationship in the Jackson area is similar to places such as Detroit.

Old 09-02-2009, 04:04 PM

223 posts, read 829,069 times
No because you could miss lead somebody about where you are from or live. Just say it like this: I'm from Bayonne in Jersey by way of New York City

Patterson, Newark, Irvington, Elizabeth, Jersey City, East Orange, Bayonne, etc... These are all urban cities, but some people still consider them the suburbs of New York City, but trust me they are no suburbs. These cities don't look anything like suburbs!!!!

This North Jersey area is right outside of New York City and its almost an extension of the city, however people still cearly say they are from Jersey!!!

Old 09-02-2009, 04:14 PM

8,900 posts, read 15,926,305 times
^^Actually, I hear many people from NJ say they're from NYC. That bugs me.

Old 09-02-2009, 04:31 PM

1,261 posts, read 2,022,641 times
If you wanna be anal about it, no you shouldn't say city when you're from the burbs.

But honestly, if you're close in enough...who cares? Burbs closest in are normally those most integrated towards the city anyways. It's an independent judgement call, but inner ring suburbanites can get away with it.

I say I am from Northern Virginia as often as I say I am from Washington, DC. or metro DC. If you're in close in parts of Fairfax, Prince Georges, Montgomery or Arlington counties then you can easily get away with saying washington, cause honestly those counties are extensions of rich outer shell DC.

In Philly, you can get away with it if you live in the Mainline (up to Vilanova maybe) or close in parts of Delaware, Montgomery or Bucks counties.

It does depend of course. Greater Cleveland is REAALLY spread out. Cuyahoga County which houses cleveland is really big itself. My school Oberlin College is in the middle of cornfields like 35 minutes away from cleveland. I can't really say my school is in cleveland cause I am not even in an inner ring suburb.

I don't really see it as a pride thing, it's just easier to describe to people. With few exceptions (national like Long Island/New Jersey or Orange County, international; Yokohama to Tokyo, Kobe to Osaka) it's just easier to pinpoint.

Old 09-02-2009, 04:31 PM

5,969 posts, read 9,555,533 times
Quote:
I actually never heard that when I lived in North Jersey.

Old 09-02-2009, 04:39 PM

1,261 posts, read 2,022,641 times
I heard it in a lighthearted documentary which was in search of the line between North and South Jersey. A New Yorker said with a chuckle that "he wished Jerseyites to stop calling themselves New Yorkers".

That's an interesting equation cause while Jerseyites I see calling themselves New Jerseyietes first and foremost, the poplulation make up I would think to be very similar to that of the city.

Old 09-02-2009, 10:23 PM

5,816 posts, read 15,908,183 times
Quote:
Well, if NYC can have its football teams play in NJ and still call them the NEW YORK Jets/Giants, then I guess Jerseyans (Jerseyites?) claim reciprocal rights.

Seriously, I don't see the big deal with whatever way you want to identify the place you're from. When I'm away from my home area (Boston metro) and people ask where I'm from, I usually say MA, then narrow it down from there if they're interested in knowing more and they know the area well enough to know where I'm talking about. (Where in MA? Boston area. What town? Name of town, etc.) If someone wants to do it a little differently, and identify the approximate area by naming the nearest city, who cares?

Old 09-03-2009, 11:14 AM

6,613 posts, read 16,573,741 times
Is it alright to say your from a city when you are really live in a suburb?

If you are registering to vote in the city, it is definitely NOT OK.

Old 09-04-2009, 09:59 AM

15,395 posts, read 22,515,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlantaGuy404 View Post
In your opinon is it okay for somebody to say they are from NYC, Miami, Los Angeles, Atlanta etc. when they really are from Long Island, Aventura, Compton or Sandy Springs?

If someone doesn't live in the main city of their metro area but they say they do, do you think that is just so people have an idea where they live or are they "posers"?
I see nothing wrong with it...it is still the core(heart) of the geographic area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.