U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
View Poll Results: City where you feel there is an inferiority complex?
NYC 25 8.74%
LA 23 8.04%
CHICAGO 80 27.97%
HOUSTON 84 29.37%
ATLANTA 61 21.33%
PHILLIE 44 15.38%
DETROIT 40 13.99%
DALLAS-FORTWORTH 41 14.34%
BAY AREA (San francisco, Oakland, San Jose), CA 16 5.59%
MILWAUKEE 40 13.99%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 286. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 01-09-2009, 12:04 PM
 
Location: Houston Texas
2,898 posts, read 2,886,144 times
Reputation: 877

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by toughguy View Post
Judging on how many Houston homers have flooded this thread with their desperate appeals for validation, I think it's safe to conclude that Houston has the biggest inferiority complex.
I think you have to revisit what inferiority complex means, they obviously did not teach you that in 6th grade. Houston peole are like other cities people in the way they correct inaccuracies. There are alot of driveby bashings of here without any substance. The people on here retaliate with the truth. Just because 38 idiots on this site think that pride means inferiority complex vs. other cities residents residents doing the same exact thing and they then call it pride. People need to get out more and see the nation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 01-09-2009, 12:14 PM
 
Location: Underneath the Pecan Tree
15,989 posts, read 30,736,331 times
Reputation: 7282
Lets see the difference between Defensive and Inferior:

Defensive:
  • attempting to justify or defend in speech or writing
intended or appropriate for defending against or deterring aggression or attack
an attitude of defensiveness (especially in the phrase `on the defensive')

Inferior:
of or characteristic of low rank or importance
of low or inferior quality
one of lesser rank or station or quality

So, according to the definition of inferior, NYC is the only city that isn't inferior. Chicago is inferior to LA, Houston is inferior Chicago, Atlanta is inferior to Dallas and Houston,etc
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-09-2009, 12:32 PM
 
11,194 posts, read 22,426,252 times
Reputation: 10947
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjester View Post
i assume that you are also envious.
But i know that people in houston don't really care about what others think of houston, they are too busy at work making money and having fun.
me-ow
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-09-2009, 12:44 PM
 
492 posts, read 1,020,093 times
Reputation: 362
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago60614 View Post
me-ow
Quadrupeds are not allowed to post here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-09-2009, 12:54 PM
 
Location: los angeles
5,031 posts, read 11,323,994 times
Reputation: 1490
I have been to Houston twice [not counting airport layovers] and to all the other cities on the poll [even lived in a few of them]. But many posters haven't had that experience yet & only "know" a city by way of reading threads like this one.

As others have pointed out, the city of Houston has an inferiority complex [per this poll]. I don't think repeating claims of Houston's "sophistication" actually works & shouldn't be used as an argument. Within the state of Texas, Houston & Dallas seem to be equals. Too bad Dallas isn't on the poll but my guess is that it would have less votes for feeling "inferior" than Houston.

People living in Houston should be proud of their city & I have both friends & an aunt\cousins who live in Texas who are very proud of their state. I admire that about Texans. Houston is a "younger city" in terms of growth & business. But in today's world the oil empire is a "temporary" boost that will be replaced with environmental-friendly resources in the near future. Houston is likely aware of not being tied too closely to only one resource & look to the other cities for how to expand it's tax base.

The reason Houston is perceived as having an "inferiority complex" is due to several posters from Houston who post hysterical threads [ie. "Houston is more liberal than Los Angeles"\ "Houston will be the next Hollywood"\ "Houston is a lot like New York City"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-09-2009, 01:01 PM
 
Location: Underneath the Pecan Tree
15,989 posts, read 30,736,331 times
Reputation: 7282
Quote:
Originally Posted by happ View Post
I have been to Houston twice [not counting airport layovers] and to all the other cities on the poll [even lived in a few of them]. But many posters haven't had that experience yet & only "know" a city by way of reading threads like this one.

As others have pointed out, the city of Houston has an inferiority complex [per this poll]. I don't think repeating claims of Houston's "sophistication" actually works & shouldn't be used as an argument. Within the state of Texas, Houston & Dallas seem to be equals. Too bad Dallas isn't on the poll but my guess is that it would have less votes for feeling "inferior" than Houston.

People living in Houston should be proud of their city & I have both friends & an aunt\cousins who live in Texas who are very proud of their state. I admire that about Texans. Houston is a "younger city" in terms of growth & business. But in today's world the oil empire is a "temporary" boost that will be replaced with environmental-friendly resources in the near future. Houston is likely aware of not being tied too closely to only one resource & look to the other cities for how to expand it's tax base.

The reason Houston is perceived as having an "inferiority complex" is due to several posters from Houston who post hysterical threads [ie. "Houston is more liberal than Los Angeles"\ "Houston will be the next Hollywood"\ "Houston is a lot like New York City"
The problem is that there is only about 2 or 3 posters from Houston who act like that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-09-2009, 01:22 PM
 
Location: los angeles
5,031 posts, read 11,323,994 times
Reputation: 1490
Quote:
Originally Posted by jluke65780 View Post
The problem is that there is only about 2 or 3 posters from Houston who act like that.
You are probably right & know how that turns off people.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-09-2009, 01:27 PM
 
Location: Houston Texas
2,898 posts, read 2,886,144 times
Reputation: 877
Quote:
Originally Posted by happ View Post
You are probably right & know how that turns off people.
Yes, the few that do that here are not representative of Houston. Every city on here that gets talked about alot has a few blowhards that don't accurately represent the city as a whole.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-09-2009, 06:39 PM
 
Location: St Simons Island, GA
23,127 posts, read 35,147,619 times
Reputation: 15366
What sucks is that Houston is a really fun city for people that visit IMO. My cousins, that are longtime residents of H-town (and whose opinion I trust) couldn't be dynamited out of there. So, Houstonians, relax. The people that criticize you on this forum are like a speck of lint on your shoulder. Just blow it off.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-09-2009, 08:38 PM
 
Location: Underneath the Pecan Tree
15,989 posts, read 30,736,331 times
Reputation: 7282
Quote:
Originally Posted by LovinDecatur View Post
What sucks is that Houston is a really fun city for people that visit IMO. My cousins, that are longtime residents of H-town (and whose opinion I trust) couldn't be dynamited out of there. So, Houstonians, relax. The people that criticize you on this forum are like a speck of lint on your shoulder. Just blow it off.
When I make rude remarks, I'm usually half joking, but sort of being serious too. I don't take what people say about Houston seriously because most of them have never visited and don't know much about Houston.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top