U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: City where you feel there is an inferiority complex?
NYC 25 8.74%
LA 23 8.04%
CHICAGO 80 27.97%
HOUSTON 84 29.37%
ATLANTA 61 21.33%
PHILLIE 44 15.38%
DETROIT 40 13.99%
DALLAS-FORTWORTH 41 14.34%
BAY AREA (San francisco, Oakland, San Jose), CA 16 5.59%
MILWAUKEE 40 13.99%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 286. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2009, 11:09 AM

2,015 posts, read 5,007,666 times

Advertisements

Well after 94 votes then I'll have to consider Houston the winner, no version 3.0, prob no medals or awards of that sort either.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2009, 11:55 AM

6,867 posts, read 12,816,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerDuke08 View Post
Well after 94 votes then I'll have to consider Houston the winner, no version 3.0, prob no medals or awards of that sort either.
Maybe a medal or award would help our self esteem

Old 01-11-2009, 03:30 PM

2,015 posts, read 5,007,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by westhou View Post
Maybe a medal or award would help our self esteem
LOL! The award is called "live content" I tell you I can find a bunch living in paradise that are miserable, like-wise I've seen those living in very poorly managed cities w/ high crime and poverty rates that couldn't be more happy. Besides the poll does make sense as NYC is the 1st city, LA 2nd but on a comparable standard. Third Chicago and Fourth Houston thus Houston and Chicago are like the little brothers to the two. Personally I wouldn't live in any of 'em as I'm more of a country boy but to each her own paradise.

Old 12-01-2009, 06:07 PM

9,967 posts, read 14,626,304 times
I love that 12 people voted for New York..Ha, that's rich..

Old 12-01-2009, 06:25 PM

3 posts, read 2,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deezus View Post
I love that 12 people voted for New York..Ha, that's rich..

All 12 were from Chicago. Just a guess.

Old 12-01-2009, 06:31 PM

2,026 posts, read 3,677,270 times
As for Chicago, I wouldn't say that the city has an inferiority complex but just seems to be attacked more than any other city on C-D. For what reason, God only knows. I had never heard anyone outside of these threads say a negative thing about Chicago. I've heard a lot of people who seem to consider it on par with New York (as far as urban life and quality of life) or would even prefer it over New York. Hell, it even seems most New Yorkers and Northerners for that matter love Chicago. Why it gets so much beef on C-D is beyond me.

Last edited by wpmeads; 12-01-2009 at 06:45 PM..

Old 12-01-2009, 06:35 PM

8,900 posts, read 13,249,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stanford oil View Post

Nah, I have a feeling it's those on this board who don't like me, lol. I've never met anyone from Chicago who dislikes NY. I think it's a C-D thing. And I don't know anyone in Ny who has beef with Chicago. A lot of views on C-D don't represent how most people feel.

Old 12-01-2009, 06:40 PM

2,161 posts, read 3,990,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachael84 View Post
Nah, I have a feeling it's those on this board who don't like me, lol. I've never met anyone from Chicago who dislikes NY. I think it's a C-D thing. And I don't know anyone in Ny who has beef with Chicago. A lot of views on C-D don't represent how most people feel.
You're very right.

Old 12-01-2009, 06:50 PM

9,967 posts, read 14,626,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wpmeads View Post
As for Chicago, I would say that the city has an inferiority complex but just seems to be attacked more than any other city on C-D. For what reason, God only knows. I had never heard anyone outside of these threads say a negative thing about Chicago. I've heard a lot of people who seem to consider it on par with New York (as far as urban life and quality of life) or would even prefer it over New York. Hell, it even seems most New Yorkers and Northerners for that matter love Chicago. Why it gets so much beef on C-D is beyond me.

Yes, most people I know (in real-life, not CD) love both New York and Chicago..In fact the response I know from most people who travel to Chicago is that they really dig the city..The cities I hear most people rip on in my part of the country are the big Sunbelt cities..LA, Dallas, Houston, Phoenix, etc..

But as far as inferiority complexes, I feel that people in some of the Rust-Belt cities seem to have the biggest ones, places like Cleveland, Detroit, Buffalo, etc(maybe not Pittsburgh)...Being sandwiched between Chicago and the big cities of the Northeast. and saddled with bad economies, population loss..I knew a guy from Cleveland and used to talk about how he loved the town, but that it just sort of had a "loser charm to it" and how glad he was to get out of there. Not ripping on these cities, some of them I actually like..but that's just my perceptive.

People in the Sunbelt cities might have some inferiority when compared against the Big 3 cities..but in reality there's a lot of boosterism in those places; they've boomed recently and a lot people who live there are proud of that fact. If you talk to the transplants, people who left those towns, it's a whole another story though.

Old 12-01-2009, 06:50 PM

4,028 posts, read 6,400,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stanford oil View Post
No, but you can go back to your bridge.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or