U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
View Poll Results: City where you feel there is an inferiority complex?
NYC 25 8.74%
LA 23 8.04%
CHICAGO 80 27.97%
HOUSTON 84 29.37%
ATLANTA 61 21.33%
PHILLIE 44 15.38%
DETROIT 40 13.99%
DALLAS-FORTWORTH 41 14.34%
BAY AREA (San francisco, Oakland, San Jose), CA 16 5.59%
MILWAUKEE 40 13.99%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 286. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 12-01-2009, 07:37 PM
 
1,712 posts, read 2,758,564 times
Reputation: 810

Advertisements

Inferiority complex can also be certain cities who have residents that feel the need to bash other cities that they have never been to to make themselves feel better. This is how NY has a inferiority complex. The city is not inferior but some people that live there feel inferior. That is the reason I voted NYC

None of the other cities on that list have any posters who go out of their way to ignorantly bash other city to make themselves feel important
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 12-01-2009, 09:13 PM
 
11,177 posts, read 22,388,331 times
Reputation: 10924
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachael84 View Post
Nah, I have a feeling it's those on this board who don't like me, lol. I've never met anyone from Chicago who dislikes NY. I think it's a C-D thing. And I don't know anyone in Ny who has beef with Chicago. A lot of views on C-D don't represent how most people feel.

I agree. I have multiple friends in NYC that I love visiting, and have been to the city a ton of times (going back next month). Likewise my friends from NYC love coming to Chicago. I've never heard any friction or hostility between the cities. I love going to NYC and they love coming here to see me and hang out. I've always heard the differences between the two areas - but they're WAY too different to have complexes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-01-2009, 09:28 PM
 
Location: Manhattan
1,168 posts, read 2,536,228 times
Reputation: 1354
On city data, it seems that members from Houston, Atlanta, and Chicago seem to have the biggest inferiority complexes. Chicago members seem to have an inferiority complex when it comes to comparisons to the much larger, denser, and more diverse city of New York. Houston and Atlanta members seem to have an inferiority complex with cities that are often considered to be more cultural, more urban, and more global such as New York, LA, Chicago, Boston, Miami, DC, San Francisco, Philadelphia, and Seattle.

In reality (outside of city data forums, that is), I don't think the majority of the people in either Chicago, Houston, and Atlanta or most other cities really have an inferiority complex when it comes to other cities. I feel as though most people don't think about or care about other cities enough to have a complex. The are definitely some people who have an inferiority complex about where they live, but there are probably a similar amount of them in every city.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-02-2009, 12:58 AM
 
1,712 posts, read 2,758,564 times
Reputation: 810
Quote:
Originally Posted by jayp1188 View Post
On city data, it seems that members from Houston, Atlanta, and Chicago seem to have the biggest inferiority complexes. Chicago members seem to have an inferiority complex when it comes to comparisons to the much larger, denser, and more diverse city of New York. Houston and Atlanta members seem to have an inferiority complex with cities that are often considered to be more cultural, more urban, and more global such as New York, LA, Chicago, Boston, Miami, DC, San Francisco, Philadelphia, and Seattle.

In reality (outside of city data forums, that is), I don't think the majority of the people in either Chicago, Houston, and Atlanta or most other cities really have an inferiority complex when it comes to other cities. I feel as though most people don't think about or care about other cities enough to have a complex. The are definitely some people who have an inferiority complex about where they live, but there are probably a similar amount of them in every city.
...And people wonder why Houstonians and Atlantans have to correct misinformation alot of the time on CD

Don't confuse "correcting ignorance" with "inferiority complex"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-02-2009, 01:29 AM
 
Location: Manhattan
1,168 posts, read 2,536,228 times
Reputation: 1354
Quote:
Originally Posted by machiavelli1 View Post
...And people wonder why Houstonians and Atlantans have to correct misinformation a lot of the time on CD

Don't confuse "correcting ignorance" with "inferiority complex"
I wasn't saying that those cities are more global and more cultural than Houston or Atlanta. I said "cities that are often considered to be" instead of "cities that are" because many people on city data hold that point of view. I personally think Houston and Atlanta can hold their own pretty well against those other cities, but because the overwhelming negativity to Houston and Atlanta on city data, Houstonians and Atlantans on city data seem to have an inferiority complex, which is proven by many on here who get defensive anytime someone doesn't consider Houston or Atlanta to be their favorite city. It is definitely an inferiority complex on city data. Outside of city data forums, most people don't have any ill will towards Houston and Atlanta, and Houstonaians and Atlantans don't have any sort of inferiority complex.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-02-2009, 02:21 AM
 
1,712 posts, read 2,758,564 times
Reputation: 810
Quote:
Originally Posted by jayp1188 View Post
I wasn't saying that those cities are more global and more cultural than Houston or Atlanta. I said "cities that are often considered to be" instead of "cities that are" because many people on city data hold that point of view. I personally think Houston and Atlanta can hold their own pretty well against those other cities, but because the overwhelming negativity to Houston and Atlanta on city data, Houstonians and Atlantans on city data seem to have an inferiority complex, which is proven by many on here who get defensive anytime someone doesn't consider Houston or Atlanta to be their favorite city. It is definitely an inferiority complex on city data. Outside of city data forums, most people don't have any ill will towards Houston and Atlanta, and Houstonaians and Atlantans don't have any sort of inferiority complex.

A number of us have gotten bashed by NY'ers for saying nothing more than "I don't care for NYC" so by your definition, NY'ers have an inferiority complex

Nobody from Hou or Atl has a problem with someone not caring for those cities, it is when certain people spew gross lies and misconceptions. Look through the threads with no biases and you will find many examples (from the same 8 or 9 people I might add)

You are confusing "defending against lies" and "inferiority complex".

When some ignorant moron says something like "Houston is a backwards hick town with nothing to do" what do you expect someone from Houston to say? I suppose defending ourselves means inferiority complex
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-02-2009, 09:44 AM
 
Location: Underneath the Pecan Tree
15,989 posts, read 30,694,755 times
Reputation: 7281
Quote:
Originally Posted by jayp1188 View Post
I wasn't saying that those cities are more global and more cultural than Houston or Atlanta. I said "cities that are often considered to be" instead of "cities that are" because many people on city data hold that point of view. I personally think Houston and Atlanta can hold their own pretty well against those other cities, but because the overwhelming negativity to Houston and Atlanta on city data, Houstonians and Atlantans on city data seem to have an inferiority complex, which is proven by many on here who get defensive anytime someone doesn't consider Houston or Atlanta to be their favorite city. It is definitely an inferiority complex on city data. Outside of city data forums, most people don't have any ill will towards Houston and Atlanta, and Houstonaians and Atlantans don't have any sort of inferiority complex.
Being defensive equals inferiority???

NYC is inferior to the south because everyone is packing up leaving and moving on to states like GA, FL, and NC. It's obviously jealousy and that's why New Yorkers bash the south so much. The majority of America could careless about NYC.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-02-2009, 10:05 AM
 
Location: Concrete jungle where dreams are made of.
8,900 posts, read 13,249,175 times
Reputation: 1819
Quote:
Originally Posted by jluke65780 View Post
Being defensive equals inferiority???

NYC is inferior to the south because everyone is packing up leaving and moving on to states like GA, FL, and NC. It's obviously jealousy and that's why New Yorkers bash the south so much. The majority of America could careless about NYC.
With our cost of living up here, nearly all of us can afford to move down there and buy a really big house. Those who move are those who can't afford it here anymore. If it were THAT popular, way more people would be moving. Our population of the metro is still expected to increase.

Also, I don't know why anyone would be jealous of a city increasing in population. In my opinion, that's a bad thing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-02-2009, 10:11 AM
 
Location: Underneath the Pecan Tree
15,989 posts, read 30,694,755 times
Reputation: 7281
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachael84 View Post
With our cost of living up here, nearly all of us can afford to move down there and buy a really big house. Those who move are those who can't afford it here anymore. If it were THAT popular, way more people would be moving. Our population of the metro is still expected to increase.

Also, I don't know why anyone would be jealous of a city increasing in population. In my opinion, that's a bad thing.
Quote:
I personally think Houston and Atlanta can hold their own pretty well against those other cities, but because the overwhelming negativity to Houston and Atlanta on city data, Houstonians and Atlantans on city data seem to have an inferiority complex, which is proven by many on here who get defensive anytime someone doesn't consider Houston or Atlanta to be their favorite city.
Quote:
Being defensive equals inferiority???
I was just proving a point; thanks for helping me out. ^^^^
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-02-2009, 10:19 AM
 
9,967 posts, read 14,626,304 times
Reputation: 9193
I'd say a lot of the behavior of city-data posters is the result of feelings of superiority not inferiority. People believe their city is superior to others to the point that they feel the need to bash other cities, often spending all night pulling out raw statistics, anecedotal evidence, and other random trivia to prove that their opinion that their city is far better than some other city is in fact correct.

"But _____ has far more high-end boutiques and a greater percentage of billonaires than ____, so you don't know what you're talking about."

Oh, but are we just talking about city-data posters on this thread and not the "real world"..how boring.

Last edited by Deezus; 12-02-2009 at 10:27 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top