U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: City where you feel there is an inferiority complex?
NYC 25 8.74%
LA 23 8.04%
CHICAGO 80 27.97%
HOUSTON 84 29.37%
ATLANTA 61 21.33%
PHILLIE 44 15.38%
DETROIT 40 13.99%
DALLAS-FORTWORTH 41 14.34%
BAY AREA (San francisco, Oakland, San Jose), CA 16 5.59%
MILWAUKEE 40 13.99%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 286. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2009, 01:10 PM

2,531 posts, read 5,465,585 times

Advertisements

I've noticed how many sunbelt posters are always chalking up someone's dismissive attitude of their cities as being "jealous" of them. That has to be one of the most juvenile arguments and defenses out there. And this is coming from a supposed sunbelt rube. Some people like dense urban cities, some like more suburban-style cities. I couldn't care less where someone chooses to lay their head, but I do see plenty of bashing on both sides of the spectrum. For every Northeasterner/West Coaster on here bashing the sunbelt cities for being "bland, cultureless and auto-oriented," there are just as many Sun Belters who consider those cities to be "liberal cesspools with bad weather". So everyone sucks in this regard and no one is an angel.

As for this poll, I voted for Houston and Chicago. While I do admit that Houston is often unfairly bashed on this site, the homerism/boosterism and defensiveness from some of the Houston posters is borderline obnoxious and I think does more harm than good for their cause of explaining why Houston is so awesome and important to them.

A lot of people think Chicago is nicknamed the "second city" because for many years, it was the second-largest city after NYC. Like the nickname, "The Windy City," this is not the original meaning of the definition (it was nicknamed it after its rebirth after the 1871 fire), but in many people's minds, Chicago is the "Second City" because this mistaken notion. However, I think Chicago is almost at the point where it is appreciated for being Chicago and not constantly having to be compared to New York.

I would have voted Atlanta, but there is an old saying that "if Atlanta could suck as hard as it could blow, the Chattahoochee River would flow backwards". Atlanta has its fair share of obnoxious homerism, but they do have a sense of superiority from being the regional center of the Southeast/"Capital of the South". We can and will get defensive about our city, but at the end of the day, it really isn't all that important to us. Hey, maybe less people will move here, and there will be less traffic. A man can only dream.

I don't know why Dallas is on this poll, because that is another city with a populace that possesses an unadulturated sense of superiority.

*steps off soapbox*

Last edited by grindin; 12-02-2009 at 01:38 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2009, 01:32 PM

2,601 posts, read 4,074,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alyssa luvs mojitos View Post
I will try and break this down using my, basically useless now, psychology major.
An inferiority complex is basically when someone is either totally withdrawn OR they are the other extreme which is aggressive, overly critical, overly sensitive to criticism, and constantly seeking attention. They usually overreact to criticsim. Their hyper-criticism of others is a way to project their inferiority. This is a form of what's called compensation. Everyone is born with some degree of inferiority complex.
A superiority complex is when someone views themselves as awesome but never gets over their infantile ego enough to see their own limitations. They merely act like a spoiled brat and do not display the traits of inferiority. Sometimes an inferiority complex leads to a perceived superiority complex when someone compensates so often that it seems like they have a superiority complex.

imo the cities I see this the most from are Chicago & Houston. Both are sort of afterthoughts sometimes (Houston moreso) behind New York and L.A. which are usually getting the attention in today's society. I live just outside Chicago (Oak Park) and I see this bizarre & unnecessary complex more and more. People are projecting more lately because its been a bad year for Chicago with the loss of the Olympics, the city government issues, the sports teams stinking it up.

Then there are the smaller "major" cities on the list. When I think major city I do not think of places like Milwaukee. Sorry to whoever included that city. Some people will say places like Philly, Detroit, and Atlanta have an inferiority complex. Interesting, but it would be hard to find any city that longs for attention and is more sensitive to critcism than Chicago. Here it's just called "pride". However the "pride" turns into a battle with nearby cities that can never truly compete with Chicago, like St. Louis Milwaukee & Detroit. They do not feel threatened at all by these cities. These are the places that Chicagoans project their inferiority towards. In my opinion, Chicagoans should be directing their superiority toward New York and L.A. Let's do battle with the big boys rather than mess with the nearby cities who have people traveling most often to our city.
Yeah, the cities that you deem to have inferiority complexes can hardly stand it!! On a daily basis, there is gnashing of teeth, wailing and weeping - why can't our city be as big as Chicago, NYC, LA, etc??? If only it were, life would be perfect!!

I'm just wondering - where are the "places" that you go in these big cities to proclaim your superiority? I've been in Chicago a LOT, and I've never run across this place where everyone projects their superiority over cities such as Milwaukee, St. Louis or Detroit. Where, pray tell, is this "battle" taking place?

Old 12-02-2009, 01:35 PM

5,728 posts, read 9,094,871 times
If Milwaukee is on the list then you should add Kansas City. KC definitely suffers from an identity crisis.

Old 12-02-2009, 01:38 PM

269 posts, read 416,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K.O.N.Y View Post
NYC> Any city in Europe. (Northeast wins)
..in your opinion.

Old 12-02-2009, 01:53 PM

4,028 posts, read 6,399,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NowInWI View Post
Yeah, the cities that you deem to have inferiority complexes can hardly stand it!! On a daily basis, there is gnashing of teeth, wailing and weeping - why can't our city be as big as Chicago, NYC, LA, etc??? If only it were, life would be perfect!!

I'm just wondering - where are the "places" that you go in these big cities to proclaim your superiority? I've been in Chicago a LOT, and I've never run across this place where everyone projects their superiority over cities such as Milwaukee, St. Louis or Detroit. Where, pray tell, is this "battle" taking place?
I know! And I keep trying to say that Chicago does not hate those cities but rather we are more pro-Milwaukee for it being so close and don't think about Detroit because it is too far away.

Old 12-02-2009, 01:58 PM

53 posts, read 89,015 times
Quote:
This forum isn't the real world - not even close. There aren't even a handful of people representative of any city present here. The boasting and the bashing are just the feelings of the poster - that's all. Most people have too much going on in their lives to even bother with posting on a forum. You can have five people from a city of hundreds of thousands (or even millions) whose word is taken to represent their cities as a whole. How ridiculous is it that people get worked up about that? I mean really? Are we to believe that NYC> than any city in Europe because someone here says it's so. Really??

This is really good. I wish more people realized this. I have soooo many freinds here in Chicago who put their faith in "what they heard online"

Last edited by alyssa luvs mojitos; 12-02-2009 at 02:21 PM..

Old 12-02-2009, 02:15 PM

13,403 posts, read 21,208,634 times
Houston and Dallas have a inferiority complex with each other. They respond differently. On this site it seems like:

1) When challenged Dallasites prefer to talk about their city in glowing terms to the point where its just arrogance. Maybe thats why people think Dallasites are arrogant gasbags.

2) When challeged, Houstonians prefer to trash talk Dallas.

In real life, they dont seem to care much about each other. Ive met people in both cities that have never been to the other one.

Old 12-02-2009, 02:21 PM

8,900 posts, read 13,249,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wpmeads View Post
Yeah and that's why we've had over half a million people move to the state annually for the past 15 or so years is because of big houses. Just because you don't "get" Texas doesn't mean transplants to Texas don't like it here. So people in the Northeast don't find Texas that appealing? Who cares? We already have over 500,000 people flocking here from all over the country (and the world really) every year. I'd hate to see what happens if that number increases to 1,000,000 a year. I think Austin would implode on itself if that happened.

And NYC will continue to draw in thousands. What's the point? I'd be happy if our population declined. Population booms are nothing to brag about.

Old 12-02-2009, 02:25 PM

2,185 posts, read 4,103,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LAnative10 View Post
1) Maybe thats why people think Dallasites are arrogant gasbags.

Old 12-02-2009, 02:53 PM

53 posts, read 89,015 times
Quote:

I think it's a small group who are "proclaiming" loudly their superiority. LOL at the image I have in my head of someone walking into a Chicago bar with a megaphone and proclaiming "Detroit doth sucketh!"

But the superiority/inferiority does come across in our media and I'm sure then spreads through the simple minds of thousands of local sports fans and also those with low self esteem and other issues. I will give some examples. There is some dude named Rosebloom (sp..I think?) who writes a Chicago sports blog and I think use to write for a local paper. Many times I have seen him spew some derogatory descriptions of other cities, I'm sure that he adopted either from the street or from some online forum. He didnt strike me as the kind of guy who could make the stuff up on his own. He has basically called St Louis Chicago's sewer dump and has labeled Milwaukee as a Chicago's biggest trailer park along with other more colorful put-downs. In other media, when Jag Marriotti (that's what my boyfriend use to call him)was here he was famous for ripping other cities in the midwest and in the same breath trying to bash Chicago as well. I don't know if you go to any sports bars or sporting events in Chicago, but it's huge here obviously. That is where I hear the inferiority complexes come pouring out of Chicagoans the most. It always reverts back to why Chicago is great, and everyplace else sucks. As a Chicagoan I find it embarrassing. Then it seems like it carries over into the cyber world and at parties...maybe its a young persons thing who knows. You've never heard Chicagoans being utterly pompous and rude toward visitors in public? God. That's one of the things I notice the most lately. It sucks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or