U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: City where you feel there is an inferiority complex?
NYC 25 8.74%
LA 23 8.04%
CHICAGO 80 27.97%
HOUSTON 84 29.37%
ATLANTA 61 21.33%
PHILLIE 44 15.38%
DETROIT 40 13.99%
DALLAS-FORTWORTH 41 14.34%
BAY AREA (San francisco, Oakland, San Jose), CA 16 5.59%
MILWAUKEE 40 13.99%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 286. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-03-2009, 04:25 PM

8,190 posts, read 12,335,461 times

Advertisements

Much of what people are describing seems to fall into the category of overboosterism and not an inferiority complex. I tend to think of cities that truly have an inferiority complex as those that have lots to offer, but tend to underestimate themselves or are reluctant to promote themselves.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2009, 07:18 PM

15,989 posts, read 30,691,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JTJ1977 View Post
Let me break it down by region. (whichever cities are in the parentheses have the inferiority complexes) But note: some cities outside of the parentheses will have inferiority complexes with those within...lol.

--Chicago (Milwaukee, Saint Louis, Indianapolis, Detroit, Minneapolis)
--Minneapolis (Omaha, Des Moines, Kansas City)
--Omaha (Minneapolis, Des Moines)
--Dallas-Ft. Worth (Houston)
--Houston (Atlanta, DFW, New Orleans)
--Atlanta (Houston, Charlotte, Memphis, Birmingham, Raleigh-Durham-Chapel Hill, NC)

--Miami (Jacksonville, Orlando, Tampa)
--Orlando (Jacksonville)
--Nashville (Memphis)
--Memphis (Nashville)
--New Orleans (Mobile, Ala., Mississippi Gulf Coast Region)
--NYC (Chicago, Philly, Boston (LOL), DC)
--Philly (Baltimore, Pittsburgh)
--DC (Baltimore...need I say more?)
--L.A. (SF, Phoenix, San Diego, Las Vegas, Seattle, Portland, Oregon)
--SF Bay Area (L.A., Sacramento)
--Phoenix (Tucson, Albuquerque (?))
--Las Vegas (Phoenix, Reno)
--Denver (Albuquerque, Phoenix)
--Seattle (Portland)

These are just a few on my list. Rip me if you want; but I am simply making my observations (as most of you probably do) reading newspapers, watching television media stories, watching sports fans go at it, and this site...lol.

Another question: Which cities do you guys think have inferiority complexes when it comes to sports teams?
You lost me here.....

Old 12-03-2009, 08:19 PM

150 posts, read 97,875 times
Atlanta. No question about that one.

Old 12-03-2009, 08:23 PM

7,909 posts, read 12,173,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BXNYC View Post
Atlanta. No question about that one.

Care to explain?

Old 12-03-2009, 10:08 PM

4 posts, read 6,326 times
Inferiority complex has three major components A) overeacts to criticism B) are aggressive in their defensiveness and C) often projects (subconsciously) inferior feelings onto others.
The city that fits the bill on all three is Chicago and sometimes Philly. It's been documented that Chicago is seen as sort of the "middle child" of the nation and is often snubbed at poked fun of by big brothers New York, LA and to an extent San Francisco. Chicago is also somewhat loathed by cities whom Chicagoans consistently look down at (the baby brother complex). This causes a subconscious complex that is hard for Chicago to overcome. Despite all that, Chicago is a great city (although un by criminals)

Old 12-03-2009, 10:48 PM

79 posts, read 70,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jluke65780 View Post
Being defensive equals inferiority???

NYC is inferior to the south because everyone is packing up leaving and moving on to states like GA, FL, and NC. It's obviously jealousy and that's why New Yorkers bash the south so much. The majority of America could careless about NYC.
LOL, ridiculous,

Big Apple, Southern cities tops in growth - USATODAY.com

As you see, New York City adds more people in raw numbers than those third-rate cities that we are apparently jealous of.

New York can never be the "fastest growing" because our population is already massive. 500 people move to these podunke'ville towns and their percentages jump 20%! And the obsession with population is quite meaningless and I honestly wish New York City's population numbers would cool off as I am weary of overpopulation which could lead to the city turning into a third-world city like Mumbai with uncontrollable population figures. And ironically, each year as these people "flock' to these low budget Big Mac/Drive Thru friendly places Alabama or wherever, the city improves - crime rate drops, and the city grows wealthier (in terms of personal wealth and GDP), increased city services ....and yes, more envy.

And yes it's true, (according to polls) most people wish they lived New York City but they can't afford it.

New York City tops the list of cities that people would most like to live in or near- Harris Interactive Research 2009 (http://www.harrisinteractive.com/harris_poll/pubs/Harris_Poll_2009_10_05.pdf - broken link)

Enjoy Houston! LOL!

Last edited by CGTSS; 12-03-2009 at 11:00 PM..

Old 12-04-2009, 12:05 AM

1,712 posts, read 2,758,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CGTSS View Post
LOL, ridiculous,

As you see, New York City adds more people in raw numbers than those third-rate cities that we are apparently jealous of.

New York can never be the "fastest growing" because our population is already massive. 500 people move to these podunke'ville towns and their percentages jump 20%! And the obsession with population is quite meaningless and I honestly wish New York City's population numbers would cool off as I am weary of overpopulation which could lead to the city turning into a third-world city like Mumbai with uncontrollable population figures. And ironically, each year as these people "flock' to these low budget Big Mac/Drive Thru friendly places Alabama or wherever, the city improves - crime rate drops, and the city grows wealthier (in terms of personal wealth and GDP), increased city services ....and yes, more envy.

And yes it's true, (according to polls) most people wish they lived New York City but they can't afford it.

New York City tops the list of cities that people would most like to live in or near- Harris Interactive Research 2009 (http://www.harrisinteractive.com/harris_poll/pubs/Harris_Poll_2009_10_05.pdf - broken link)

Enjoy Houston! LOL!
Trust me, the vast majority of us do, no matter how angry it makes some people

They only say that to make some NY'ers feel better about themselves. Many many people have no desire to live in NY and this angers some people up there, thus the inferiority complex

Old 12-04-2009, 12:45 AM

4,028 posts, read 6,399,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CGTSS View Post
LOL, ridiculous,

Enjoy Houston! LOL!
It could mean that 30% wanted New York 29% wanted Houston 29% wanted Chicago and 12% wanted Los Angeles. It's a simple majority. And I've brought this up before: people say they'd want to live in Seattle, but most people complain about the gray skies and rain. I don't trust these polls.

Old 12-04-2009, 12:46 AM

79 posts, read 70,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thePR View Post
It could mean that 30% wanted New York 29% wanted Houston 29% wanted Chicago and 12% wanted Los Angeles. It's a simple majority. And I've brought this up before: people say they'd want to live in Seattle, but most people complain about the gray skies and rain. I don't trust these polls.
Yes, I worded that wrong. Of course not everybody (or a majority) of people would want to live in New York City (or any one particular city for that matter)....but it's a clear favorite dream city.

Old 12-04-2009, 08:39 AM

4 posts, read 6,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thePR View Post
people say they'd want to live in Seattle, but most people complain about the gray skies and rain. I don't trust these polls.

I don't think people in Seattle care that much to constantly complain. It's people from other cities that have this negative image of Seattle as being rainy all the time. Seattle has a rainy season, much like Chicago has a bitter cold and gray season.
Seattle has only has 45% sunny days. Chicago has 52% of its days sunny.
Not that much difference in amount of sun.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or