U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: City where you feel there is an inferiority complex?
NYC 25 8.74%
LA 23 8.04%
CHICAGO 80 27.97%
HOUSTON 84 29.37%
ATLANTA 61 21.33%
PHILLIE 44 15.38%
DETROIT 40 13.99%
DALLAS-FORTWORTH 41 14.34%
BAY AREA (San francisco, Oakland, San Jose), CA 16 5.59%
MILWAUKEE 40 13.99%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 286. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-04-2009, 10:03 AM

1,012 posts, read 2,247,877 times

Advertisements

Phoenix definately suffers from an inferiority complex because of the following symptoms 1) overboosterism that exagerates its population rank as Americas fifth largest city (when it is still officially sixth until the next census. but no one here will admit or even mention its the 13th largest METRO in the country) 2) people here get overdefensive and sensitive when out-of-towners who moved here say how they like their hometown X better than Phoenix or when people speak badly about Phoenix's poor sports teams and HORRID schools 3) the arrogance of the people
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2009, 10:04 AM

1,012 posts, read 2,247,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akhenaton06 View Post
Much of what people are describing seems to fall into the category of overboosterism and not an inferiority complex. I tend to think of cities that truly have an inferiority complex as those that have lots to offer, but tend to underestimate themselves or are reluctant to promote themselves.
If you are correct, I would then say Indianapolis, Milwaukee, Minneapolis, St. Louis, Columbus, Austin and Phily would easily qualify.

Old 12-04-2009, 12:03 PM

4,028 posts, read 6,403,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rubber duck75 View Post
I don't think people in Seattle care that much to constantly complain. It's people from other cities that have this negative image of Seattle as being rainy all the time. Seattle has a rainy season, much like Chicago has a bitter cold and gray season.
Seattle has only has 45% sunny days. Chicago has 52% of its days sunny.
Not that much difference in amount of sun.
I was talking about people not in Seattle who said they want to move there.

Old 12-04-2009, 02:12 PM

2,231 posts, read 5,427,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AK123;6884149I
hate to sound like a braggart, but statements like the above Baton Rouge comparison just tick me off. Need I remind you Houston is the nation's 4th largest city (however the boundaries are drawn and whether people agree or not), has a major, world-class arts/culture scene (I hate to resort to giving specifics on this again, but will if I have to), and is no longer just an oil town (the city's largest employer is actually the Texas Medical Center)... it's 2009 guys, not 1979. How in the world could any of that be compared to Baton Rouge (no offense to Baton Rouge, but...)
Houston's sense of inferiority may be proven by its claim that it is the nation's 4th largest city. It's not. It contains the nation's 4th largest municipal government, and they boost their image (and ego) by referring to that as a "city".

Be that as it may, Houston is also a large metro, approximately the 6th, at this time (Dallas-Fort Worth is the 4th, Philadelphia is the 5th) and that many people can support culture, employment, entertainment that smaller metros just cant provide.

It doesn't need the 4th largest boast, which only reveals its insecurity.

Other than that, there is no substantive asset in Houston that Dallas wishes it had. Dallas has much better transit, a cohesive urban residential core, good zoning and planning, better weather, and a major league hockey team, as well as ML Baseball, football, basketball, soccer, nascar, etc. On the other hand, there are things in Chicago that Dallas aspires to, such as a Chicago-level mass transit system, and an inner city-urban core similar to Chicago's.

Last edited by aceplace; 12-04-2009 at 02:22 PM..

Old 12-04-2009, 02:36 PM

15,989 posts, read 30,709,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aceplace View Post
Houston's sense of inferiority may be proven by its claim that it is the nation's 4th largest city. It's not. It contains the nation's 4th largest municipal government, and they boost their image (and ego) by referring to that as a "city".

Be that as it may, Houston is also a large metro, approximately the 6th, at this time (Dallas-Fort Worth is the 4th, Philadelphia is the 5th) and that many people can support culture, employment, entertainment that smaller metros just cant provide.

It doesn't need the 4th largest boast, which only reveals its insecurity.

Other than that, there is no substantive asset in Houston that Dallas wishes it had. Dallas has much better transit, a cohesive urban residential core, good zoning and planning, better weather, and a major league hockey team, as well as ML Baseball, football, basketball, soccer, nascar, etc. On the other hand, there are things in Chicago that Dallas aspires to, such as a Chicago-level mass transit system, and an inner city-urban core similar to Chicago's.
Like I said before, you can take that up with the census bureau.

This nation and the world is going to refer to us as the 4th Biggest city because; well, we are. Only on here is Houston's claim as the 4th biggest city in America rejected. Average day people don't go by metropolitan areas; lots of people don't even know what a metro area is.

Old 12-04-2009, 02:51 PM

2,231 posts, read 5,427,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jluke65780 View Post
Like I said before, you can take that up with the census bureau.

This nation and the world is going to refer to us as the 4th Biggest city because; well, we are. Only on here is Houston's claim as the 4th biggest city in America rejected. Average day people don't go by metropolitan areas; lots of people don't even know what a metro area is.
If you think it's significant, then why don't you describe Houston as the "4th largest municipal government"? Why use the word "city" when "Municipality" is what you really mean? The only reason I can think of is to confuse the public as to Houston's actual importance.

The size of the central municipality is irrelevant. Your claim is designed to misrepresent the relative importance of Houston relative to other US metros. Actually, the boast is intended to artificially inflate Houston's stature over Dallas-Ft Worth, a larger metro.

Nobody ranks urban areas on the basis of a municipal population.

If Houston municipality expanded its municipal boundaries within its metro area, or contracted them, would make no difference to Houston. Nor would it affect Houston's stature in North America or the world.

It is just an example of deception. But not respected on the world stage. Nobody believes that Houston is a bigger city than London... even though it is a much larger municipal government than the "City of London".

As I mentioned, the claim that Houston is the 4th largest "city" is an example of the Houston metro's inferiority complex. And ego reinforcement over being eclipsed as a metro by Dallas-FW. Especially since the actual ranking of Houston is already pretty respectable. Just as in the 1970's, when Houston described its airport as the "Houston Interplanetary Airport".

Last edited by aceplace; 12-04-2009 at 03:11 PM..

Old 12-04-2009, 04:17 PM

15 posts, read 52,443 times
As an almost lifelong Houston area resident (God help me) I have to agree that Houston has a H-U-G-E inferiority complex with DFW.

With the NFL being the unofficial religion of the US and its VITAL importance to a city's image the most visible aspect is that you can go anywhere in the area and hardly see ANY Houston Texans merchandise but Dallas Cowboy merchandise and fans are EVERYWHERE. That is a big blow to the city's self esteem right there. When other people think of Texas the 1st thing they think of is Dallas b/c of the tv show and the Cowboys. Houston lags behind Dallas in probably every way except big business.

The simple fact is Houston never has been and never will be cool, or even as cool as Dallas and that really BURNS Houston people bad.

Sure ,there are lots of really nice parts of town and a few cool things that are unique to Houston but all in all DFW is superior to Houston in things that matter to people such as landscape, outdoor activities, shopping, nightlife, pro sports, media, tourist attractions, and even TV exposure.

DFW has the more desirable demographics so they get all the newest and latest things.

Houston is a blue collar city that's fine to live in but nobody ever wants to come to on vacation (there's absolutely no reason to.) Dallas is seen as the unofficial capital of Texas whereas Houston is the forgotten and redheaded stepchild to all the other Texas cities except for El Paso.

Houston will probably never emerge from Dallas' shadow and become cool on its own. There's nothing going on here and the local government is not very forward thinking.

Off the top of my head the only thing that could possibly give Houston a national exposure boost in the near future would be the new $500 million dollar "Disney quality" theme park and resort currently in the beginning stages of development north of the city. If done right it could put Houston on a map. Not "the" map but a map nontheless. Ha ha.

Houston is fine to live and work in but that's it. That's why there is such a huge airport because everyone wants to get out of here!

Old 12-04-2009, 04:33 PM

1,365 posts, read 2,303,347 times
^^^^^^^^

Take cover now, you're about to get it from every which way

Old 12-04-2009, 04:55 PM

15,989 posts, read 30,709,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aceplace View Post
If you think it's significant, then why don't you describe Houston as the "4th largest municipal government"? Why use the word "city" when "Municipality" is what you really mean? The only reason I can think of is to confuse the public as to Houston's actual importance.

The size of the central municipality is irrelevant. Your claim is designed to misrepresent the relative importance of Houston relative to other US metros. Actually, the boast is intended to artificially inflate Houston's stature over Dallas-Ft Worth, a larger metro.

Nobody ranks urban areas on the basis of a municipal population.

If Houston municipality expanded its municipal boundaries within its metro area, or contracted them, would make no difference to Houston. Nor would it affect Houston's stature in North America or the world.

It is just an example of deception. But not respected on the world stage. Nobody believes that Houston is a bigger city than London... even though it is a much larger municipal government than the "City of London".

As I mentioned, the claim that Houston is the 4th largest "city" is an example of the Houston metro's inferiority complex. And ego reinforcement over being eclipsed as a metro by Dallas-FW. Especially since the actual ranking of Houston is already pretty respectable. Just as in the 1970's, when Houston described its airport as the "Houston Interplanetary Airport".
Last time I checked; Houston didn't claim to be the 4th biggest city in America. It seems your using this as way to try and prove that Houston is inferior, but it's a bad definition because Houston's intentions were never to be this big; it annexing was for a different purpose.

Houstonians could give a damn about being the 4th biggest; and the only ones who love to bring it up is outsiders. Do you honestly think we walk around feeling better about ourselves because we live in the 4th biggest city??? Not sure why that would gives us a need to feel superior over everyone below us.

Old 12-04-2009, 05:03 PM

7,836 posts, read 19,591,229 times
Milwaukee should be a lot higher on this list.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or