U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: City where you feel there is an inferiority complex?
NYC 25 8.74%
LA 23 8.04%
CHICAGO 80 27.97%
HOUSTON 84 29.37%
ATLANTA 61 21.33%
PHILLIE 44 15.38%
DETROIT 40 13.99%
DALLAS-FORTWORTH 41 14.34%
BAY AREA (San francisco, Oakland, San Jose), CA 16 5.59%
MILWAUKEE 40 13.99%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 286. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-05-2009, 11:51 AM

8,190 posts, read 12,335,461 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by aceplace View Post
No, it is just the 4th largest municipal government, and that is meaningless.
No, that really does mean something. Of course most people judge the size of a place by metro area population (which is more accurate IMO), but that doesn't mean that municipal population is meaningless.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2009, 12:01 PM

2,231 posts, read 5,425,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akhenaton06 View Post
No, that really does mean something. Of course most people judge the size of a place by metro area population (which is more accurate IMO), but that doesn't mean that municipal population is meaningless.
Well then, what do you think it does mean?

Do you think the TV network stations get to charge more for advertisements because municipal Houston has annexed its suburbs?

Old 12-05-2009, 12:11 PM

5,230 posts, read 11,678,430 times
I don't frequent the other cities' forums, but I can tell you the Dallas forum definitely qualifies. I wouldn't say the same about Fort Worth though.

Old 12-05-2009, 01:06 PM

1,012 posts, read 2,246,793 times
Quote:
No, it is just the 4th largest municipal government, and that is meaningless.
No sir, its is not. Houston, being the nation's fourth largest single city (excluding the suburbs) by city proper population, is a mere fact and not opinion. I'm not even from Houston nor Texas, and am admitting the truth for what it is. And besides, most cities at one time annexed their surrounding territory as the grew. As has Houston. Some cities, like San Antonio, are still doing it to this day. Houston, as the nation's 4th largest single city by population, is FACT and not opinion; and your opinion will not change the truth.

Old 12-05-2009, 01:53 PM

1 posts, read 1,095 times
I had to get an account just to vote against the midwest cities. I threw Houston in there too.
Chicago is the what some people would call "the loudest guy in the room" Remember that from the movie the Bronx Tale? ""The loudest guy in the room is usually the weakest" (or feels most insecure)
Dallas is another loudmouth city. I will go back and vote for them too. Chicago claims to have these quote suburbs all over the United States. Scottsdale Arizona. St Louis. Milwaukee. Indianapolis. Funny then why are they not in Chicago?

Old 12-05-2009, 02:07 PM

4,028 posts, read 6,399,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Regal Beagle View Post
I had to get an account just to vote against the midwest cities. I threw Houston in there too.
Chicago is the what some people would call "the loudest guy in the room" Remember that from the movie the Bronx Tale? ""The loudest guy in the room is usually the weakest" (or feels most insecure)
Dallas is another loudmouth city. I will go back and vote for them too. Chicago claims to have these quote suburbs all over the United States. Scottsdale Arizona. St Louis. Milwaukee. Indianapolis. Funny then why are they not in Chicago?
Great, another troll who blindly hates the whole Midwest.

People here just hate the Midwest and especially Chicago.

Old 12-05-2009, 02:14 PM

787 posts, read 1,469,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Regal Beagle View Post

It's that serious? lmao

Old 12-05-2009, 02:58 PM

8,190 posts, read 12,335,461 times
Quote:
Well then, what do you think it does mean?
It means there are less little municipalities out there that would create the potential for less effective regional cooperation, which has huge implications when it comes to land use planning, transit, etc. It means a larger tax base and the potential for more jobs to stay in within the city itself. Central cities that are able to capture a significant share of the region's growth within their borders also tend to have lower income disparities throughout the city itself. It is always desirable for a central city to capture as much of the share of the metro population as possible.

Old 12-05-2009, 04:09 PM

1,574 posts, read 2,532,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dangerfield View Post
You need to update your list again and add San Antonio.
I agree. I live in San Antonio and I can't even say anything bad about the city without people throwing a tantrum. Texans as a whole are overly defensive of their state.

Besides San Antonio, I noticed people from Houston and Phoenix are overly defensive of their cities

Old 12-05-2009, 04:19 PM

15,989 posts, read 30,691,036 times
Where's Austin??? If you criticize Austin; Austinites go crazy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or