U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: City where you feel there is an inferiority complex?
NYC 25 8.74%
LA 23 8.04%
CHICAGO 80 27.97%
HOUSTON 84 29.37%
ATLANTA 61 21.33%
PHILLIE 44 15.38%
DETROIT 40 13.99%
DALLAS-FORTWORTH 41 14.34%
BAY AREA (San francisco, Oakland, San Jose), CA 16 5.59%
MILWAUKEE 40 13.99%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 286. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-07-2009, 09:26 AM

425 posts, read 505,303 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jluke65780 View Post
I think people on here don't understand the definition of inferior because if they did; Houston nor Chicago would be winning this poll.
What they don't understand is that "inferior" and "inferiority complex" are not the same thing. Not even close.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2009, 09:56 AM

15,989 posts, read 30,674,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gold15 View Post
What they don't understand is that "inferior" and "inferiority complex" are not the same thing. Not even close.
Not even close???? They are pretty much the same thing.

Old 12-07-2009, 10:12 AM

425 posts, read 505,303 times
Quote:
Not even close???? They are pretty much the same thing.
The first is a factual condition - inferiority. Even then, you would have to establish a basis for the inferiority to intelligently discuss it (i.e., inferior in what way? lower population? fewer economic developments? smaller land area? lack of cultural venues?)

The latter is simply a feeling (and in the case of this thread, the actions/reactions posters exude based on those feelings.)

They are not the same thing - not even close. But I completely understand if you can't grasp that.

Old 12-07-2009, 10:46 AM

1,712 posts, read 2,757,111 times
Quote:
The first is a factual condition - inferiority. Even then, you would have to establish a basis for the inferiority to intelligently discuss it (i.e., inferior in what way? lower population? fewer economic developments? smaller land area? lack of cultural venues?)

The latter is simply a feeling (and in the case of this thread, the actions/reactions posters exude based on those feelings.)

They are not the same thing - not even close. But I completely understand if you can't grasp that.

If you saw the way people go out of their way to start bash fests of certain cities you would understand why people in those cities react how they do. The ones that do the bashing think they are entitled to start trouble and wonder why they get called out. Especially when most of the bashing is just saying the stupidest things that are not true. These cites like Chicago and Houston do not feel inferior, their residents defend by correcting lies

Old 12-07-2009, 10:53 AM

Quote:

Actually, both can rely on feelings. One can feel inferior to another due to one possibly exceeding at certain things. Inferiority Complex is pretty much the same thing.

I understand the definition of both, but inferior can also be a feeling as well.

Old 12-07-2009, 10:59 AM

33 posts, read 25,037 times
Quote:
I think people on here don't understand the definition of inferior because if they did; Houston nor Chicago would be winning this poll. .

There is a difference between "feeling inferior" and having an "inferiority complex." If all the people in all the cities on this list ever had a true inferiority complex, and the complex was acting as their "master" rather than their "servant"....then these cities would never have grown and succeded and functioned the way they have. If they have a real complex currently, then they'll eventually collpase. I do not see that happening.

Every one of these cities has some "feelings of inferiority" even New York, LA, and Chicago. Just as every human on Earth posesses some degree of inferiority, so do these cities which contain the human element. The question here is whether we notice an "inferiority complex" in any, and if so, which one has the most.

There are some cities that display the classic signals of an inferiority complex on these boards and in their culture, but is that an accurate picture? Not always. I will use Chicago as the example since they are often talked about. Chicagoans on these boards often will display a few common symptoms of the complex: the over sensitivity to unfavorable comparisons, rebellion at being corrected, are overly defensive about the slightest criticisms. The theory goes that New York, L.A. and even San Francisco tend to overshadow Chicago on the American stage, in this subconscious "contest" that Chicagoans have going on within their minds. Even though Chicagoans will sometimes deny any competition, and many of them truly believe that they do not really care what others think, their actions will contradict this. This is where the complex theories surface. Chicagoans make it clear to others that they are not going to be compared unfavorably without a fight, and will go to great lengths to distort reality. Chicagoans have been known to displace the emotions associated with any perceived shortcomings of their city by passing their inferiority issues on to other places (ie "Phoenix is a glorified suburb of Chicago" "St. Louis is a ****hole") and will sometimes project their anger at their own city govenment whom they continue to vote into office. Other cities act the very same way, and pass their inferiority issues on down to the next perceived "tier" and so the cycle goes.

In my opinion, what we should all be doing is just stop playing the game of "my city blows your city away" and recognize that each place has its downfalls and positives. This may sound a bit fruity, but we have to be the "united" states in order to get the country back on track. Not the divided states of America. Pissing on your neighbors breakfast cereal by calling them a "glorified parking lot" is just destructive and shows weakness. Those who are truly superior to others do not walk around all day saying so. If you were locked in a room with someone like this, you would eventually kill them. Then how superior would they be? haha. Can you imagine if Jim Brown or Michael Jordan had walked around proclaiming that they were the best athletes of all time? People would take them down a notch. That's what you have here.

Last edited by lotus PA; 12-07-2009 at 11:33 AM..

Old 12-07-2009, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lotus PA View Post
There is a difference between "feeling inferior" and having an "inferiority complex." If all the people in all the cities on this list ever had a true inferiority complex, and the complex was acting as their "master" rather than their "servant"....then these cities would never have grown and succeded and functioned the way they have. If they have a real complex currently, then they'll eventually collpase. I do not see that happening.

Every one of these cities has some "feelings of inferiority" even New York, LA, and Chicago. Just as every human on Earth posesses some degree of inferiority, so do these cities which contain the human element. The question here is whether we notice an "inferiority complex" in any, and if so, which one has the most.

There are some cities that display the classic signals of an inferiority complex on these boards, but is that an accurate picture? Not always. I will use Chicago as the example since they are often talked about. Chicagoans on these boards often will display a few common symptoms of the complex: the over sensitivity to unfavorable comparisons, rebellion at being corrected, are overly defensive about the slightest criticisms. The theory goes that New York, L.A. and even San Francisco tend to overshadow Chicago on the American stage, in this subconscious "contest" that Chicagoans have going on within their minds. Even though Chicagoans will sometimes deny any competition, and many of them proabably truly believe that they do not really care what others think, their actions will contradict this. This is where the complex theories surface. Chicagoans make it clear to others that they are not going to be compared unfavorably without a fight, and will go to great lengths to distort reality. Chicagoans have been known to displace the emotions associated with any perceived shortcomings of their city by passing their inferiority issues on to other places (ie "Phoenix is a glorified suburb of Chicago" "St. Louis is a ****hole") and will sometimes project their anger at their own city govenment whom they continue to vote into office. Other cities act the very same way, and pass their inferiority issues on down to the next perceived "tier" and so the cycle goes.

In my opinion, what we should all be doing is just stop playing the game of "my city blows your city away" and recognize that each place has its downfalls and positives. This may sound a bit fruity, but we have to be the "united" states in order to get the country back on track. Not the divided states of America. Pissing on your neighbors breakfast cereal by calling them a "glorified parking lot" is just destructive and shows weakness.
I agree ,but "feeling inferior" and having a "Inferiority Complex" are the same thing. Feeling inferior is part of the definition of inferiority complex.

The inferior definition you and gold are referring to is Houston being inferior to NYC because NYC is obviously on another level and more important than Houston. This definition doesn't rely on feelings, but more towards a fact.

Old 12-07-2009, 11:10 AM

Quote:
I agree ,but "feeling inferior" and having a "Inferiority Complex" are the same thing. Feeling inferior is part of the definition of inferiority complex.

The inferior definition you and gold are referring to is Houston being inferior to NYC because NYC is obviously on another level and more important than Houston.
People can have an inferior feeling without having a complex. That's not just common sense, it's basic psychology. A headache is a part of the definition of TMJ syndrome, but they are not the same thing.

Old 12-07-2009, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lotus PA View Post
People can have an inferior feeling without having a complex. That's not just common sense, it's basic psychology. A headache is a part of the definition of TMJ syndrome, but they are not the same thing.
I understand that, but you two are looking too deep into this thread. Inferiority Complex is a more serious issue than simply feeling inferior and I know this, but I realize this is city-data and over-analyzing everything would be a waste of time. Just let it be.

Old 12-07-2009, 11:29 AM

I agree with Let It Be. I don't think I was looking "deep" into this thread. To me it seems pretty shallow.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or