Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: City where you feel there is an inferiority complex?
NYC 25 8.68%
LA 23 7.99%
CHICAGO 81 28.13%
HOUSTON 84 29.17%
ATLANTA 61 21.18%
PHILLIE 44 15.28%
DETROIT 40 13.89%
DALLAS-FORTWORTH 42 14.58%
BAY AREA (San francisco, Oakland, San Jose), CA 16 5.56%
MILWAUKEE 40 13.89%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 288. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2009, 03:45 PM

5,429 posts, read 14,836,889 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestCobb View Post
As a non Texan, and someone who truly doesn't care about Texas cities one way or the other, I just want to point out to you that I have never heard anyone say they percieve Hoston to be superior to Dallas. Dallas is the Texan city that comes to my mind when I think urban Texas, not Houston. If I knew how to do a poll, I'd pose that question -- when you think of the premier city in Texas, do you think of Dallas or Houston?
Perceptions and reality are two totally different things.

When people think of CA, they often think of L.A. first because of pop culture and Hollywood. However, most innovation comes out of the Bay Area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2009, 03:52 PM

12,997 posts, read 13,638,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nairobi View Post
Not accusing you of saying it, rather asking you: by this post do you mean to say that Dallas is more urban than Houston?
I don't know. To be honest, I've never been to either. I'm just saying as an outsider, when I think Texas and city, I think Dallas, not Houston. When I think American cities, Houston didn't even make my list until I started reading this forum.

Old 01-07-2009, 03:54 PM

1,227 posts, read 3,011,331 times
Hmm...I have nothing against Dallas, but when I was living abroad most people knew about Dallas, and Houston, but the majority spoke of their preception of Houston in a much larger brighter light.

Old 01-07-2009, 03:55 PM

125 posts, read 435,296 times
Unfortunately, nearly every Southern city probably has an inferiority complex to some degree. They should learn to appreciate themselves for what they are and not bother with comparison, have their own unique identity. I speak from experience with some people's attitudes.

Old 01-07-2009, 04:04 PM

15,982 posts, read 35,194,653 times
Quote:
I don't know how to do polls. Besides, if I did, I'm sure someone from Austin or San Antonio would get offended for not being included.

For the record, I have done some on line research about Houston as a result of reading this forum, and it does seem like a nice place. I love to visit American cities, and I'll probably go visit it some day. It's made my list of places to go. However, the idea that there are four cities -- NYC, LA, Chicago and Houston is laughable. It may be big, but Houston ranks below a whole list of American cities in perceived importance -- San Fransisco, Seattle, Philadelphia, Boston, Miami even, Kansas City, St. Louis, New Orleans, Denver. I'm not trying to start a flame war here and get people in Houston dissing the cities on my list -- I'm just saying in the American consciousness at large Houston isn't even "up and coming" yet. Again, as a result of this forum, I know think of Houston as up and coming, but please don't think you're going to get anywhere by pulling down Chicago or LA. That just makes you look foolish. Houstonians should focus on developing what they have for its own sake, and someday in the far future, it may occupy the space of beloved, important American city as the others on the list I just spun out does.

As of now, I'm sure if Americans had to vote on which city they'd rather see nuked (if they had to pick one) most would rather save Denver than Houston just because its got more name recognition and an overall positive image.
Yes I'm sure they'd nuke the city that holds a large amount of America's oil and where Nasa is located. I was really enjoying your post until you went there. This is exactly why Houstonians attack people because of overboard things like this. Than you put us UNDER Denver,KC,STL,and MIA in importance, you obviously haven't study enough about Houston if your saying crazy things like this.

Old 01-07-2009, 04:06 PM

8,928 posts, read 14,330,050 times
Quote:
I don't know. To be honest, I've never been to either. I'm just saying as an outsider, when I think Texas and city, I think Dallas, not Houston. When I think American cities, Houston didn't even make my list until I started reading this forum.
You're from Atlanta, right? (if your screen name means West Cobb Co., GA) Well you have a point in saying that Dallas is more of a "TEXAS" city than Houston.

Houston sits at the bottom of East Texas, which is culturally as a region more Southern than Texan.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/East_Texas

But even in comparison to Fort Worth and San Antonio, Dallas isn't much of a Texan city either.

Old 01-07-2009, 04:09 PM

1,576 posts, read 6,347,595 times
Houston gets my vote. I might have chosen differently if I never heard of this forum. But you post here long enough and you definitely get the sense that Houstoners are extremely defensive about their city (and I think such defensiveness is always the product of an inferiority complex, whether the defender realizes it or not).

Old 01-07-2009, 04:15 PM

8,928 posts, read 14,330,050 times
Quote:
I don't know how to do polls. Besides, if I did, I'm sure someone from Austin or San Antonio would get offended for not being included.

For the record, I have done some on line research about Houston as a result of reading this forum, and it does seem like a nice place. I love to visit American cities, and I'll probably go visit it some day. It's made my list of places to go. However, the idea that there are four cities -- NYC, LA, Chicago and Houston is laughable. It may be big, but Houston ranks below a whole list of American cities in perceived importance -- San Fransisco, Seattle, Philadelphia, Boston, Miami even, Kansas City, St. Louis, New Orleans, Denver. I'm not trying to start a flame war here and get people in Houston dissing the cities on my list -- I'm just saying in the American consciousness at large Houston isn't even "up and coming" yet. Again, as a result of this forum, I know think of Houston as up and coming, but please don't think you're going to get anywhere by pulling down Chicago or LA. That just makes you look foolish. Houstonians should focus on developing what they have for its own sake, and someday in the far future, it may occupy the space of beloved, important American city as the others on the list I just spun out does.

As of now, I'm sure if Americans had to vote on which city they'd rather see nuked (if they had to pick one) most would rather save Denver than Houston just because its got more name recognition and an overall positive image.
Having to disagree with you here.

There is somewhat of an "official" ranking of global cities regarding level of importance, and the only cities that rank higher than Houston are New York, Los Angeles, Chicago, and San Francisco.

Boston, Washington, and Dallas rank the same as Houston.

I'm trying to find the link.

Old 01-07-2009, 04:33 PM

125 posts, read 435,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goozer View Post
Houston gets my vote. I might have chosen differently if I never heard of this forum. But you post here long enough and you definitely get the sense that Houstoners are extremely defensive about their city (and I think such defensiveness is always the product of an inferiority complex, whether the defender realizes it or not).
Not very familiar with Houston, but sometimes the defensiveness could stem from being tired of reading or hearing the same misinformation about their city over and over. More like annoyance rather than defensiveness.

Old 01-07-2009, 04:55 PM

8,256 posts, read 17,336,173 times
Chicagoans always try to make Chicago seem better than LA in any category, even if everyone knows it's not.

Houstson, OTOH, gets bashed so much that Houstonians have to speak up a lot and defend the city that they love. They do not have an inferiority complex, they simply correct ignorant people who hate on Houston for everything.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.