Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: City where you feel there is an inferiority complex?
NYC 25 8.68%
LA 23 7.99%
CHICAGO 81 28.13%
HOUSTON 84 29.17%
ATLANTA 61 21.18%
PHILLIE 44 15.28%
DETROIT 40 13.89%
DALLAS-FORTWORTH 42 14.58%
BAY AREA (San francisco, Oakland, San Jose), CA 16 5.56%
MILWAUKEE 40 13.89%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 288. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2009, 10:21 AM

2,023 posts, read 4,188,234 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deezus View Post
I'd say a lot of the behavior of city-data posters is the result of feelings of superiority not inferiority. People believe their city is superior to others to the point that they feel the need to bash other cities, often spending all night pulling out random statistics, anecedotal evidence, and other random trivia to prove that their opinion that their city is far better then some other city is in fact correct.

"But _____ has far more high-end boutiques and a greater percentage of billonaires than ____, so you don't know what you're talking about."

Oh, but are we just talking about city-data posters on this thread and not the "real world"..how boring.
This.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2009, 10:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachael84 View Post
With our cost of living up here, nearly all of us can afford to move down there and buy a really big house. Those who move are those who can't afford it here anymore. If it were THAT popular, way more people would be moving. Our population of the metro is still expected to increase.

Also, I don't know why anyone would be jealous of a city increasing in population. In my opinion, that's a bad thing.
Yeah and that's why we've had over half a million people move to the state annually for the past 15 or so years is because of big houses. Just because you don't "get" Texas doesn't mean transplants to Texas don't like it here. So people in the Northeast don't find Texas that appealing? Who cares? We already have over 500,000 people flocking here from all over the country (and the world really) every year. I'd hate to see what happens if that number increases to 1,000,000 a year. I think Austin would implode on itself if that happened.

Last edited by wpmeads; 12-02-2009 at 10:49 AM..

Old 12-02-2009, 10:34 AM

12,766 posts, read 18,378,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nauticadon View Post
I think Philly has always had an inferiority complex to NYC. In terms of culture it's probably the only major city in the Northeast that can stand toe to toe with NYC.
definitely not.

Old 12-02-2009, 10:35 AM

12,766 posts, read 18,378,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jluke65780 View Post
Being defensive equals inferiority???

NYC is inferior to the south because everyone is packing up leaving and moving on to states like GA, FL, and NC. It's obviously jealousy and that's why New Yorkers bash the south so much. The majority of America could careless about NYC.
NYC is no way inferior to the south...Moderator cut: see comment

Last edited by Bo; 12-02-2009 at 02:23 PM.. Reason: I explained the issue with the deleted section in my DM.

Old 12-02-2009, 11:17 AM

15,982 posts, read 35,215,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawg8181 View Post
NYC is no way inferior to the south...get over yourself. You bash NYC b/c you plain & simply just can't afford to live here. Go enjoy your bible.
Ouch!

Old 12-02-2009, 11:22 AM

^^^haha! that part in bold was funny. I've got to give jdawg props for that!

Old 12-02-2009, 11:23 AM

2,271 posts, read 5,147,769 times
It's pretty easy to see that all the cities on here have an inferiority complex--at least in this forum.

Cities in the Northeast are always trying to compare their infrastructure, transportation systems and diversity to Europe. (I'm sorry, but YOU LOSE.) The West is so busy trying to prove that they are developing technology as they are in Asia. (I'm sorry, but YOU LOSE, too.) The Midwest and the South are trying to prove that they have just as much going on as everywhere else. (Guess what? People aren't listening! They're going to go with what they know...or think they know--so I guess YOU LOSE too.)

Looks like everybody has something to prove.
Stop comparing and be happy with what you have, at least for the moment. (I know it's hard sometime, I'm trying hard too, but that's what this forum is all about. Moving.)
Everyone whines on this forum, some people just need to get over themselves.

That's all folks. (I WIN.)

Old 12-02-2009, 12:15 PM

53 posts, read 101,418 times
I will try and break this down using my, basically useless now, psychology major.
An inferiority complex is basically when someone is either totally withdrawn OR they are the other extreme which is aggressive, overly critical, overly sensitive to criticism, and constantly seeking attention. They usually overreact to criticsim. Their hyper-criticism of others is a way to project their inferiority. This is a form of what's called compensation. Everyone is born with some degree of inferiority complex.
A superiority complex is when someone views themselves as awesome but never gets over their infantile ego enough to see their own limitations. They merely act like a spoiled brat and do not display the traits of inferiority. Sometimes an inferiority complex leads to a perceived superiority complex when someone compensates so often that it seems like they have a superiority complex.

imo the cities I see this the most from are Chicago & Houston. Both are sort of afterthoughts sometimes (Houston moreso) behind New York and L.A. which are usually getting the attention in today's society. I live just outside Chicago (Oak Park) and I see this bizarre & unnecessary complex more and more. People are projecting more lately because its been a bad year for Chicago with the loss of the Olympics, the city government issues, the sports teams stinking it up.

Then there are the smaller "major" cities on the list. When I think major city I do not think of places like Milwaukee. Sorry to whoever included that city. Some people will say places like Philly, Detroit, and Atlanta have an inferiority complex. Interesting, but it would be hard to find any city that longs for attention and is more sensitive to critcism than Chicago. Here it's just called "pride". However the "pride" turns into a battle with nearby cities that can never truly compete with Chicago, like St. Louis Milwaukee & Detroit. They do not feel threatened at all by these cities. These are the places that Chicagoans project their inferiority towards. In my opinion, Chicagoans should be directing their superiority toward New York and L.A. Let's do battle with the big boys rather than mess with the nearby cities who have people traveling most often to our city.

Old 12-02-2009, 12:39 PM

3,003 posts, read 6,092,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theSUBlime View Post
It's pretty easy to see that all the cities on here have an inferiority complex--at least in this forum.

Cities in the Northeast are always trying to compare their infrastructure, transportation systems and diversity to Europe. (I'm sorry, but YOU LOSE.) The West is so busy trying to prove that they are developing technology as they are in Asia. (I'm sorry, but YOU LOSE, too.) The Midwest and the South are trying to prove that they have just as much going on as everywhere else. (Guess what? People aren't listening! They're going to go with what they know...or think they know--so I guess YOU LOSE too.)

Looks like everybody has something to prove.
Stop comparing and be happy with what you have, at least for the moment. (I know it's hard sometime, I'm trying hard too, but that's what this forum is all about. Moving.)
Everyone whines on this forum, some people just need to get over themselves.

That's all folks. (I WIN.)
NYC> Any city in Europe. (Northeast wins)

Old 12-02-2009, 12:50 PM

2,598 posts, read 4,926,746 times
This forum isn't the real world - not even close. There aren't even a handful of people representative of any city present here. The boasting and the bashing are just the feelings of the poster - that's all. Most people have too much going on in their lives to even bother with posting on a forum. You can have five people from a city of hundreds of thousands (or even millions) whose word is taken to represent their cities as a whole. How ridiculous is it that people get worked up about that? I mean really? Are we to believe that NYC> than any city in Europe because someone here says it's so. Really??
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.