U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Worst (undeserved) reputation?
Cleveland 6 4.17%
Detroit 8 5.56%
Buffalo 4 2.78%
JERSEY in general 33 22.92%
Pittsburgh 23 15.97%
New Orleans 7 4.86%
DC 9 6.25%
LA 22 15.28%
Baltimore 4 2.78%
West Virginia in general 28 19.44%
Voters: 144. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2007, 12:54 PM

469 posts, read 2,555,849 times

Advertisements

Nother vote for WV. I was astonished by its lush green beauty, like a deep breath of fresh air after leaving the gridlock of DC and Northern VA. Only place that approaches WV for natural beauty is upstate NY.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2007, 01:21 PM

97 posts, read 388,688 times
I lived in Pittsburgh in the the earliy 80's. That poor town was going through some growing pains then, but it looks like it has come around and is a decent city. I always thought there was plenty to do there. Opera, theater, museums and the Art Festival and Regatta just to name a few. Then of course you have your hockey, football and baseball. I always liked riding and showing horses and there is a plenty of that going on north of Pitts. There's plenty of parks and places to unwind. If you can't find anything to do in Pittsburgh, then you really need to turn off the TV and put down the remote.

I don't understand why WVa. is in the poll. It's a beautiful state.

Old 03-07-2007, 02:13 PM

6,047 posts, read 21,644,174 times
I also voted for New Jersey. I agree w/ dullnboring; the views off of I-95/NJ Turnpike are disgusting, and when people drive through, that is their impression of NJ. But we have beautiful parklands and beaches...we have every amenity an area can offer due to proximity to NYC and Philly...we have excellent schools...quality of life here is very good (albeit expensive).

Old 03-08-2007, 09:34 PM

1,408 posts, read 4,453,359 times
Very true about the pace there in WVa. It is refreshingly different.

There's a nifty little strawberry festival that goes on every year in Buckhannon.

Clarksburg is a surprisingly charming town; love the way it crowns the hills that surround it.

Charleston is one of the prettiest state capitals I've ever seen.

Wheeling has some really cool features and attractions, and some great people hail from there (friends of mine!)

And I've never even been to White Sulfur Springs yet...

Last edited by LancasterNative; 03-08-2007 at 09:35 PM.. Reason: specified subject

Old 03-08-2007, 11:01 PM

3,712 posts, read 5,825,029 times
I have got to vote for West Virginia. Does anybody remember the old John Denver song 'Take Me Home Country Road'? It is a very beautiful state, lots of mountains and lush forests. I know alot of people sneer at it now, but it's a state that has managed to avoid some of the problems that are causing serious deterioration in the quality of life in other areas of the country. I wouldn't be surprised if people give WVa a second look in the next few years.

Old 03-09-2007, 12:21 AM

1,318 posts, read 5,391,807 times
Miami!

Old 03-09-2007, 07:28 AM

3,020 posts, read 23,612,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LancasterNative View Post
Very true about the pace there in WVa. It is refreshingly different.

There's a nifty little strawberry festival that goes on every year in Buckhannon.

Clarksburg is a surprisingly charming town; love the way it crowns the hills that surround it.

Charleston is one of the prettiest state capitals I've ever seen.

Wheeling has some really cool features and attractions, and some great people hail from there (friends of mine!)

And I've never even been to White Sulfur Springs yet...
Yup, I am sort of glad to see WV finally getting a bit of respect. I think the reason some people sneer at WV is

(A) They have never been here

(B) They will never get the chance to go there

(C) It does not fit their idea of culture

(D) It can be tough to make a lot of easy money

(E) All of the above

You can find some things in WV that you may never find anywhere else. Like marbles. They play a lot of marbles, including if you want to make some of the green folding stuff, the Mecca for marbles. They have the pro type tournaments. A good take is the marble festival / museum. I missed it last year, got it on the menu to go this coming year. Down in Sisterville, WV.

http://www.marblemuseum.org/glassartists/eddieseese.html (broken link)

What WV needs tho, to build a number of cross freeways to the existing system. I never understand where all that money Sen. Bryd lugs home goes. A big state and difficult to get into some regions, maybe that is the way they want it. Keeps out all the folks in categories A - E.

NJ has some of the same image problems but maybe has too many freeways, least ones that get you lost to where you are going. Or maybe I just went to Bayonne and Someville way too many times.

Old 03-10-2007, 10:05 AM

1,418 posts, read 6,382,237 times
I have visited Pittsburgh and found it to be a very beautiful city with a lot to do. Its bad rep is really undeserved IMO.

Old 10-25-2008, 03:55 PM

1 posts, read 1,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dullnboring View Post
I voted for "Jersey in general". I feel like the state earned it's reputation from those New Yorkers and other folks heading out of town whose first sights of the state were the horrifically ugly marshes, refineries (?), abandoned buildings, factories and dilapidated warehouses that line the New Jersey Turnpike. It's an ugly and dreary stretch no doubt for a couple of miles but it seems as if that heavily-traveled area has colored the perception of the entire state as a heavily-polluted, ugly, industrial trash heap which I think is unfair. Physically, the state has some gorgeous beaches (although the water is iffy, as is the case in much of the Mid/North Atlantic) with traditional beach towns with quaint boardwalks and old Victorians, as well as it's share of tacky Americana. There's the beauty of the Delaware Water Gap, hundreds of older traditional small towns and close-knit cities with walkable downtowns, unique architecture and a sense of community not found in many of the more popular locales today. In terms of education and personal income, the state ranks at or near the top. The economy is good with a wide array of industries located in the state, the level of diversity is something few states can match, and the it's location in the country, close to New York, Philadelphia and all that entails, is terrific. The food is fantastic with some of the best pizza and diners around. And of course there's the people, true characters, with this certain indescribable personality, with this terrific combination of wit, honestly, loyalty and conviction that rubs some people the wrong way but which I find endearing.

There are certainly bad things about New Jersey (the high property taxes and decrepit state of some of it's largest cities being two issues), but as a whole, I think it's bad reputation is largely undeserved.

Viva New Jersey!

Thank you so much for your thread. I am new to Philadelphia (as of Aug 08) from Arizona and I have always, always, heard negative statments about New Jersey and I couldn't understand why . After reading what you posted it brought a little light to a subject that had been in the dark for me. I believe that with most cities/states, there are things that aren't desirable but one tries to make the best out of any living situation. I haven't explored New Jersey yet, but I am really intrigued and I will definitely make it a priority to get over there and check it out.

Thanks again for you insightful blog....

Old 10-25-2008, 03:59 PM

2,775 posts, read 10,719,530 times
I have to say New Orleans. Out of every place on the poll, in my honest opinion, New Orleans is the coolest. The exotic culture, interesting history, eerie history, fabulous architecture, and the fantastic food. Most people think now that Katrina hit it, it's a crime-ridden, abandoned dump. Actually, much of the city stil stands in great condition.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or