U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Worst (undeserved) reputation?
Cleveland 6 4.17%
Detroit 8 5.56%
Buffalo 4 2.78%
JERSEY in general 33 22.92%
Pittsburgh 23 15.97%
New Orleans 7 4.86%
DC 9 6.25%
LA 22 15.28%
Baltimore 4 2.78%
West Virginia in general 28 19.44%
Voters: 144. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-25-2008, 04:04 PM

4,382 posts, read 15,330,791 times

Advertisements

Steriotypes always have some truth to them. All of the places above have bad problems, but they're blown out of proportion most of the time. Even though they all live up to their steriotypes some of the time, none of them deserve their reps. WV has some trashy people, for example, but there are many classy people that live there too that are really nice. And Plus WV is gorgeous. Id say the least deservant one is WV
Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2008, 04:12 PM

28,905 posts, read 46,773,617 times
I'd have to say Birmingham, Alabama, even though it's not on the list. When I was offered a chance to interview after a couple of phone interviews, I really didn't want to come down. However, I thought, "Hey, it's a free weekend some place I've never been, what could it hurt?" My wife, however, practically had to be forced onto the plane at gunpoint.

So, we fly into the place. The first thing we noticed was that it was pretty, green, and hilly. We toured around and saw some jaw-dropping neighborhoods. We ate dinner in a restaurant that was named one of the Top Five in America by Gourmet. I played on a spectacular golf course while my wife was feted by some very nice people.

We decided to give the city a shot, came home and started packing. Our friends were flabbergasted, and asked, "Birmingham, ALABAMA?" So we moved down here to a house roughly twice the one we left behind in Chicago for a good deal less. We had neighbors show up to our house with casserole dishes when we moved in. We found ourselves in a town with a ton of things to do, festivals, etc. etc. etc.

yet, whenever I go someplace else on biz, it's amazing how many gratuitous swipes you get from people who have never visited the place. As if we have Klan rallies on Friday nights, marry our cousins, and live in tar paper shacks.

Now, if somebody offered me a job elsewhere in the country, my wife would refuse to move. What's more, some friends who came to visit from Chicago on their way to Orlando. They were the worst offenders when it came to cracking on Birmingham. When they stopped in on Saturday, we gave them the tour, and they spent Sunday morning looking through the real estate section of the newspaper. Now they live about a mile from us.

Old 10-25-2008, 04:14 PM

217 posts, read 236,129 times
Los Angeles

Old 10-25-2008, 04:17 PM

Location: Southern California native, last 20 yrs in Milwaukee Wisc.
1,220 posts, read 3,423,863 times
[quote=CHICAGOLAND92;432789]I think cities with large black populations (Cleveland, Detroit, Baltimore, Camden, Gary IN, etc.) get the worst reputation. They're all cities with problems, just like any other city. Just because the city is a majority black, it keeps the city from improving it's image. quote]

Yeah... the bad reputation of mostly-black cities probably has nothing to do with the very high rates of violent crime, illegitimacy, bad schools, trashed neighborhoods, etc., etc. Maybe it is actually whites sneaking in at night doing these things so the blacks get blamed, and their cities get a bad reputation.
Yeah, that's it.

Old 10-25-2008, 04:19 PM

4,382 posts, read 15,330,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
I'd have to say Birmingham, Alabama, even though it's not on the list. When I was offered a chance to interview after a couple of phone interviews, I really didn't want to come down. However, I thought, "Hey, it's a free weekend some place I've never been, what could it hurt?" My wife, however, practically had to be forced onto the plane at gunpoint.

So, we fly into the place. The first thing we noticed was that it was pretty, green, and hilly. We toured around and saw some jaw-dropping neighborhoods. We ate dinner in a restaurant that was named one of the Top Five in America by Gourmet. I played on a spectacular golf course while my wife was feted by some very nice people.

We decided to give the city a shot, came home and started packing. Our friends were flabbergasted, and asked, "Birmingham, ALABAMA?" So we moved down here to a house roughly twice the one we left behind in Chicago for a good deal less. We had neighbors show up to our house with casserole dishes when we moved in. We found ourselves in a town with a ton of things to do, festivals, etc. etc. etc.

yet, whenever I go someplace else on biz, it's amazing how many gratuitous swipes you get from people who have never visited the place. As if we have Klan rallies on Friday nights, marry our cousins, and live in tar paper shacks.

Now, if somebody offered me a job elsewhere in the country, my wife would refuse to move. What's more, some friends who came to visit from Chicago on their way to Orlando. They were the worst offenders when it came to cracking on Birmingham. When they stopped in on Saturday, we gave them the tour, and they spent Sunday morning looking through the real estate section of the newspaper. Now they live about a mile from us.
Haha i love your story. Ive been wanting to visit for a long time! could you give me names of some nice neighborhoods? I like to plan ahead even before ive planned when, when i go on a trip haha. thanks

Old 10-25-2008, 04:39 PM

909 posts, read 2,706,218 times
Detroit, especially if metro counts. I like big places, probably because i grew up in the metro (Farmington Hills). After living in Detroit area, going to places like Louisville, Indianapolis, Kansas City and St. Louis, it seems so small and theres not much to do or places to go. Detroit had an outstanding metro park system and i've been to about every one of them to go fishing, play ball, have parties, play golf, etc. After going to Indianapolis to do stuff for quite some time, it got kind of boring to go to the same place to shop or go to events like a colts game. Louisville is even worse, its just a run down city with an ugly sprawl, the city government is making very stupid decisions like
a very ugly skyscraper:
http://www.kentuckyville.us/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2006/04/bilde.jpg (broken link)

but the sports arena looks very interesting, it depends if they will ever complete it:

When you drive on I-64 or I-65 it looks real nice, but when you get off of the expressway and into the neighborhoods it is very ugly and run down. Especially on the west side, there are constantly people trying to get justice and government to fix up the west side including city services.

Sounds like alot of cities though, only trying to improve their downtown and make it look attractive for visitors other than trying to make it liveable. Its a shame. Thats why people move to suburbs so they can relax and not worry about high taxes or no garbage pickup or any of that. Thats why cities like Detroit and Louisville are losing population and in certain cases cities lose money because they don't have the population to pay taxes, and thats why they rise up so the city can get money, then people leave because they don't want to pay high taxes. Then the city has to raise it even more, and more people leave. Thats what problems cities like Detroit, Pittsburgh, Louisville, Cincinatti, and Cleveland have. Its sad that they only care about what their downtown looks like to visitors, but they don't make it livable! Thats why suburbs are so popular.

Old 10-25-2008, 04:54 PM

28,905 posts, read 46,773,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Billiam View Post
Haha i love your story. Ive been wanting to visit for a long time! could you give me names of some nice neighborhoods? I like to plan ahead even before ive planned when, when i go on a trip haha. thanks
Sure thing...purpose of your visit? And when?

Old 10-25-2008, 05:15 PM

343 posts, read 459,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vision-Quest View Post

Sounds like alot of cities though, only trying to improve their downtown and make it look attractive for visitors other than trying to make it liveable. Its a shame. Thats why people move to suburbs so they can relax and not worry about high taxes or no garbage pickup or any of that. Thats why cities like Detroit and Louisville are losing population and in certain cases cities lose money because they don't have the population to pay taxes, and thats why they rise up so the city can get money, then people leave because they don't want to pay high taxes. Then the city has to raise it even more, and more people leave. Thats what problems cities like Detroit, Pittsburgh, Louisville, Cincinatti, and Cleveland have. Its sad that they only care about what their downtown looks like to visitors, but they don't make it livable! Thats why suburbs are so popular.

Yeah, who would want to live in cities with culture, diversity, and rich history when you can live in a 99.99% Caucasian suburb full of people who are dead inside?

Old 10-25-2008, 05:23 PM

3,682 posts, read 8,852,627 times
If Atlanta was on there I would have voted for it. Everyone seems to call it the "Detroit of the South", when it's only part of Atlanta that's trashy and ghetto. Atlanta also has a lot of nice neighborhoods which have very low crime. The mass transit system is underrated also.

Old 10-25-2008, 10:43 PM

1,071 posts, read 4,021,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FutureCop View Post
I have to say New Orleans. Out of every place on the poll, in my honest opinion, New Orleans is the coolest. The exotic culture, interesting history, eerie history, fabulous architecture, and the fantastic food. Most people think now that Katrina hit it, it's a crime-ridden, abandoned dump. Actually, much of the city stil stands in great condition.
it's always been a crime-ridden dump.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or