U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Worst (undeserved) reputation?
Cleveland 6 4.17%
Detroit 8 5.56%
Buffalo 4 2.78%
JERSEY in general 33 22.92%
Pittsburgh 23 15.97%
New Orleans 7 4.86%
DC 9 6.25%
LA 22 15.28%
Baltimore 4 2.78%
West Virginia in general 28 19.44%
Voters: 144. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2007, 08:27 PM

548 posts, read 1,809,332 times

Advertisements

I know there are much worst cities than the ones on this list, but which of these cities get the most crap on a national scale?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2007, 08:56 PM

30,184 posts, read 67,327,076 times
I voted for Pittsburgh. I was the original poster of a very controversial thread on the Pittsburgh sub-forum entitled "For the Love of God, Have Some Optimism!" Basically, after poring over thread after thread in which native Pittsburghers did nothing but spew out vitriol about their city, I just wanted people in the Steel City to look at the bright side of things. I've been to the city on several occasions, and each time I'm never ceased to be amazed by the wonderfully-diverse neighborhoods, beautiful skyline, numerous attractions, cultural amenities, and a gorgeous rolling mountain backdrop.

Looking at the census portrays a mixed picture of the city. While the locals complain about the "lack of culture", approximately a full THIRD of the city's residents possess at least a four-year degree, indicating that the city truly is a haven for eggheads amongst the farmlands of Western PA. While the locals complain about the "low-paying jobs", I'm actually surprised to see that the cost-of-living in Pittsburgh appears to be even lower than it is in Scranton of all places, and we're pretty much the cheapest city within a two-hour radius of NYC! I'm noted for being a "naive youth" and for having "rose-colored glasses", but if you find that you don't even have one nice thing to say about your city, then why don't you move to a greener pasture? What's holding you back? I tell the same thing to the nay-sayers in Scranton.

Old 03-06-2007, 09:00 PM

1,408 posts, read 4,453,980 times
West Virginia is a beautiful, peaceful and free-living place. I can totally tell why people there love it. It's a shame there aren't more jobs available there, but I'm fortunate enough to be right next-door in Ohio—not too far for a visit now and then!

Old 03-06-2007, 09:23 PM

2,408 posts, read 13,359,561 times
I voted for "Jersey in general". I feel like the state earned it's reputation from those New Yorkers and other folks heading out of town whose first sights of the state were the horrifically ugly marshes, refineries (?), abandoned buildings, factories and dilapidated warehouses that line the New Jersey Turnpike. It's an ugly and dreary stretch no doubt for a couple of miles but it seems as if that heavily-traveled area has colored the perception of the entire state as a heavily-polluted, ugly, industrial trash heap which I think is unfair. Physically, the state has some gorgeous beaches (although the water is iffy, as is the case in much of the Mid/North Atlantic) with traditional beach towns with quaint boardwalks and old Victorians, as well as it's share of tacky Americana. There's the beauty of the Delaware Water Gap, hundreds of older traditional small towns and close-knit cities with walkable downtowns, unique architecture and a sense of community not found in many of the more popular locales today. In terms of education and personal income, the state ranks at or near the top. The economy is good with a wide array of industries located in the state, the level of diversity is something few states can match, and the it's location in the country, close to New York, Philadelphia and all that entails, is terrific. The food is fantastic with some of the best pizza and diners around. And of course there's the people, true characters, with this certain indescribable personality, with this terrific combination of wit, honestly, loyalty and conviction that rubs some people the wrong way but which I find endearing.

There are certainly bad things about New Jersey (the high property taxes and decrepit state of some of it's largest cities being two issues), but as a whole, I think it's bad reputation is largely undeserved.

Viva New Jersey!

Old 03-06-2007, 11:13 PM

2,370 posts, read 7,760,109 times
I second DNB's vote for Jersey as a bad rap that is overdone. True, the Garden State is not eden along every square mile from High Point to Cape May. I lived in Morris County for a few years, and when I tell all my friends here on the left coast that it was a great place to live, I get looks of confusion or bewilderment. There's a lot more to NJ beyond the meadowlands and bayonne. I liked the variety of towns in NJ which make most suburbs here in California seem sterile and without personality by comparison.

SWB's notes on Pittsburgh sound pretty good, I would say my impression of visiting that city was pretty good too. I like "walkin around" places to explore on foot, and Pittsburgh was pretty good for that. One thing that's a downside to me are the large number of coal burning power plants that surround the metro area. Not only Pittsburgh but almost every other large city in the upper midwest, especially Ohio river valley and along the industrial belt of the great lakes.

Old 03-06-2007, 11:32 PM

554 posts, read 2,279,586 times
I think cities with large black populations (Cleveland, Detroit, Baltimore, Camden, Gary IN, etc.) get the worst reputation. They're all cities with problems, just like any other city. Just because the city is a majority black, it keeps the city from improving it's image. For example, if a crime happened in any of these cities, the news would probably make first page. If it happened in the suburbs, or a safer city, it wouldn't make front page news.
Another example is PGC, the most affluent county with a black majority. While there is crime in some areas, it's not everywhere. Even though the county is fairly affluent, there's not much there (upscale restaurants, good shopping, etc.) What is the reason for this? The demographics. Sad but true.
With the crime overrepresented, it keeps businessses from moving into these places, and they stay in the state they are. They get much bad talk (mostly from people who've seen the city in the news a couple of times, or have never even been in the city). People talk about how bad the crime is, even though there's crime every where. Most people in these cities just want to live and enjoy life. However, it seems people can't realize that.

Old 03-07-2007, 03:50 AM

673 posts, read 3,752,199 times
I agree with Pittsburgh I was there about 4 years ago and loved it and hopefully I will visit again in the next few years because its such an interesting, unique city. I think Pittsburgh is one of the best medium sized (1 to 3 million person) metropolitan areas in the country. The Oakland and Carson Street areas of Pittsburgh are amazing although the Downtown could have more retail.

I also have to say the architecture is incredible and Oakland really is one of the best urban neighborhoods I have seen but then I am not much of a traveler.

I also think Wheeling, West Virginia is a great small under-rated place and if West Virginia is that alot like Wheeling I would say its very under-rated also.

Old 03-07-2007, 08:10 AM

30,184 posts, read 67,327,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattDen View Post
I agree with Pittsburgh I was there about 4 years ago and loved it and hopefully I will visit again in the next few years because its such an interesting, unique city. I think Pittsburgh is one of the best medium sized (1 to 3 million person) metropolitan areas in the country. The Oakland and Carson Street areas of Pittsburgh are amazing although the Downtown could have more retail.

I also have to say the architecture is incredible and Oakland really is one of the best urban neighborhoods I have seen but then I am not much of a traveler.
I agree that Oakland is a very nice part of the Steel City, although I'm partial to Shadyside. I agree that downtown could certainly use a good retail boost as well!

Old 03-07-2007, 10:01 AM

364 posts, read 396,282 times
I choose Detroit. Now part of that is because of the burbs and that might not count in your question.

As far as the city itself goes, Comerica Park is one of the nicest ballparks. Fox Theatre is a fantastic place to see a comedy show or The Radio City Rockettes come to town every Christmas. And some nice fine dining establishments.

Old 03-07-2007, 10:41 AM

3,020 posts, read 23,616,446 times
Default Of course the right answer is West Virginia

Like the poll is showing, West Virginia gets very unfairly maligned.

I doubt very many people here can say they have seen all of West Virginia or even most of it or even 5% of it. Part of it is the road network requires a huge effort to get into many places. Not a well enough developed freeway system. Lot of delightful little places.

Where else can you be driving on a lil road, come around a bend and there is a cow pasture with a little bench like hill where the farmer made a place for the cow to crawl up on a dirt platform and get in the shade. Cow nose you can pet. Dogs out on small roads and they don't become roadkill. People probably their names and who owns them.

You have to do WV on its terms and at its pace. Can't be in a hurry, has a lot of charm and good things to offer.

I probably haven't even seen .01% of it. For many people it is Paradise.

New Orleans that is a different story. Deserves getting maligned. One of my least desirable places.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or