U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2009, 08:22 AM

2,015 posts, read 5,008,060 times

Advertisements

My Top 10 lists without listing any major cities:

1) Fort Collins, CO
2) Charleston, SC
3) Duluth, MN
4) Missoula, MT
5) Spokane, WA
6) Monterey, CA
7) Eugene, OR
8) Lawrence, KS
9) Fayetteville, AR
10) Madison, WI
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2009, 09:46 PM

129 posts, read 442,102 times
I don't know if I can come up with 10. Let's see if I can......
Favorite 10 cities in US (that I know enough to list)
1) San Francisco
2) San Jose
3) Bellevue, WA
4) NYC
Yeah, I can't think of any more...and I don't even like those 4 cities that much either...

Old 01-09-2009, 12:24 AM

718 posts, read 2,118,335 times
Who ordained you as the end all voice of the 10 best cities? You are talking about others' credibility yet you back up random podunk places like Morehead KY. What on earth could be so great about Morehead? Please enlighten me and maybe I'll take the trip out there.

Now let's back up for a second. Washington DC and New York are automatic top 10. That is not debatable. The rest will depend on who you talk to.

Usually top 10 city lists include places like Chicago, SF, LA, Boston. However, if you want to talk about the little guys, then I recommend you take a trip to places like Lahaina, HI, Cape May, NJ, Larchmont, NY, and Newton, MA. If you havent then you obviously know "nothing about these cities and have no credibility."

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC 38 View Post
The top 10 best cities in America are, in order:

1) Amarillo, TX
2) Waterloo, IA
3) Evansville, IN
4) Fort Wayne, IN
5) Rolla, MO
6) Truckee, CA
7) Morehead, KY
8) Fairbanks, AK
9) Duluth, GA
10) Fargo, ND

Anyone who disagrees obviously knows nothing of these cities and has no credibility.

Old 01-09-2009, 02:51 AM

3,761 posts, read 8,698,484 times
^ I could be wrong but I think it's a joke- he has Evansville, IN on the list

Old 01-09-2009, 09:23 AM

8,345 posts, read 14,111,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DITC View Post
Who ordained you as the end all voice of the 10 best cities? You are talking about others' credibility yet you back up random podunk places like Morehead KY. What on earth could be so great about Morehead? Please enlighten me and maybe I'll take the trip out there.

Now let's back up for a second. Washington DC and New York are automatic top 10. That is not debatable. The rest will depend on who you talk to.
The only thing that is not debatable is the fact that Amarillo, TX and Evansville, IN ARE clearly superior to places like NYC and DC. Come on, who actually WANTS to visit NYC? They don't have the LST war ship and they don't have a brand new Super Wal-Mart. Come on, your suggestion that NYC belongs anywhere near the top 10 exposes your lack of credibility!

Rolla, MO and Fairbanks, AK > NYC and DC

Old 01-09-2009, 02:19 PM

1,107 posts, read 2,686,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC 38 View Post
The only thing that is not debatable is the fact that Amarillo, TX and Evansville, IN ARE clearly superior to places like NYC and DC. Come on, who actually WANTS to visit NYC? They don't have the LST war ship and they don't have a brand new Super Wal-Mart. Come on, your suggestion that NYC belongs anywhere near the top 10 exposes your lack of credibility!

Rolla, MO and Fairbanks, AK > NYC and DC

oh wow im not sure if you are being funny or not but i you are that is really lame. Super Wal Mart lol we dont need that with stores everywhere that basically sell the same thin it would be stupid. I cant believe u think a small town is superior to the capital of the world.

Old 01-09-2009, 02:21 PM

1,226 posts, read 2,716,002 times
Before anyone jumps on me about my criteria just know that htis is simply my opinion, and I have been to all of these cities......

1. Albuquerque - I love the weather, not too crowded, but not too small. The proximity of mountains, and skiing, the whole outdoor atmosphere in New Mexico. A good State University, and friendly people.

2. Washington DC - I used to live here, and loved the public transportation system. Much to do, and I liked the formal business feel of the area. There are many bad areas too, but if you can manage to live in some of the older nicer neighborhoods it's hard to beat. Four seasons a year is a plus too. Great Universities.

3. Boise - Very beautiful place, not too big, but big enough, and growing. Outdoors type of city.

4. San Antonio - I currently live here and love it. It's super hot in the summer, but the water recreational activities make the heat fun. Alot of culture, and tons of things to do, great food. Good economy, and growth. City, with a country feel. I love the Hill Country to the north and the west where I live. Crime, and the drivers are the downfalls.

5. New Orleans - Tons of culture, and entertainment. The swampy areas of South Louisiana were never that appealing to me untill I got a taste of them first hand. I love the older plantation homes. Rain is soothing to me, and this city gets plenty of it. The food is great as well. Downfalls deffinately crime, and frequent disasters.

6. Oklahoma City - Another big enough, but not too big metro. Nice homes in certain areas, and good cost of living. Growth, and economy are great too.

7. Knoxville - I like the terrain in this area, and it seems like a more country version of a big college oriented city like Austin. Plenty of outdoor activity in the area, and the Smoky, and Appalacian Mts. in close proximity.

8. Fayetteville/Springdale - Ozark Mts. in the area, and good growth, and economic staying power. On the smaller size, but still plenty ameneties, and nice people. Good food, and a great University.

9. Portland, OR. - Beautiful terrain. Tons of State oceanside parks in the area. Lots of outdoor activities, and much to do. Plenty big with great amenities. Beautiful split level homes.

10. Reno, Lake Tahoe - Alot of fun things to do, and a beautiful terrain. Once again big enough, but not too big.

Old 01-09-2009, 09:00 PM

2,783 posts, read 6,409,260 times
1. Philly
2. Philly
3. Philly
4. Philly
5. Philly
6. Philly
7. Denver
8. Seattle
9. Bar Harbor
10. Colorado Springs

Old 01-09-2009, 11:08 PM

1,576 posts, read 4,805,352 times
There is so much opinion in this world that it is truly unbelievable.

Because I love Buffalo as my hometown, should I say it should be considered one of the top 10 cities in the country? Not necessarily.

So please people, try and put some ordained thought into your answers and opinions. Some are doing great with that, while others, I see...well you know what I mean.

Old 01-09-2009, 11:11 PM

8,345 posts, read 14,111,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityGuy View Post
Super Wal Mart lol we dont need that with stores everywhere that basically sell the same thin it would be stupid. I cant believe u think a small town is superior to the capital of the world.
This is too easy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or