U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-07-2009, 12:40 PM

21 posts, read 32,092 times

Advertisements

Hi there. I'm new here. I have found many of the other threads extremely helpful. We are thinking of moving to the US from Ireland with our three small kids. We are from Africa originally, so the cold and rain here has really got us down over the last 8 years. I was hoping some of you could enlighten us about some research we've done. From what we can tell the cities above are ones that might fit the bill (oh if only Denver was WARMER!). We need:

Sunshine
Scenery
Arts and music
Stuff to do with just us, and stuff to do with the kids
Preferably warmth, and lots of it!
In an ideal world, friendly people and a low chance of being assualted
In the same ideal world, a democratic or sudbury school

All the cities above seem to fit at least part of the bill online (maybe if Denver is amazing enough, we could cope with the cold), and we need to narrow it down a little so when we come to visit on holidays later in the year, we can spend a realistic amount of time in each nominated city. We'd probably live in the burbs or nearby towns rather than IN the cities, and we tend to be self-employed, so traffic isn't really a consideration, though the presence of good public transport is a bonus. Cost of living is something that changes all the time, specially over the time it will take to effect an immigration, so that's not really a factor either. What we like about the cities above:

San Jose - 2 sudbury schools, great weather, scenery
Denver - sudbury school, sunshine, seems fun
San Diego - weather, lots to do
San Antonio - weather, seems like lots to do, scenery
Nashville - Music, lots to do, warmth
Asheville - sudbury school, fair weather, scenery
Austin - warmth, music, lots to do
Phoenix - WARMTH, no rain, more warmth, less rain, scenery

I'd appreciate anyone letting me know if these impressions are correct and any other great stuff about these or any other likely places. They don't have to be major cities, but in a fair proximity to one. Try not to tell me too much crap stuff though - everywhere has it's crap side. Cheerio and thanks a mill
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2009, 12:50 PM

351 posts, read 541,794 times
San Antonio is a cool city, the economy is, remarkably, still doing quite well, and it's definitely warm and sunny.

Old 01-07-2009, 12:51 PM

1,303 posts, read 3,600,696 times
Phoenix... warmth? More like HOT. It is warm in the winter and early spring, but other than that it is burning hot. I mean really HOT, like burn yourself from your seatbelt hot.

Old 01-07-2009, 02:24 PM

35 posts, read 110,992 times
Having lived or visited all of the cities that you mention, and given your desires, I think that you would find San Jose, San Diego, and Austin as your best choices. The largest negative on the first two is the cost of home ownership. Austin is a little like a piece of California dropped into the middle of Texas.

Old 01-07-2009, 03:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vdy1985 View Post
Phoenix... warmth? More like HOT. It is warm in the winter and early spring, but other than that it is burning hot. I mean really HOT, like burn yourself from your seatbelt hot.
Oh yes, burning the backs of your thighs on the car seats - not being able to touch the steering wheel - aaaaaaaaaaaah. Isn't it lovely!?!?! (I'm bloody cold at the moment)

Old 01-07-2009, 06:21 PM

5,716 posts, read 14,579,522 times
Just curious: where in Ireland and where in Africa?

Old 01-07-2009, 06:25 PM

193 posts, read 429,697 times
I vote Austin! It seems to suit your needs best.

Old 01-08-2009, 02:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by krudmonk View Post
Just curious: where in Ireland and where in Africa?
Cork, which they tell me is the warmest place for it's latitude, which is really funny, because my fingers are blue. Johannesburg in SA, which has the hot summers and the dry winters.

And thanks rpowell and watchoverme, Austin just seems to be coming up time and time again. Do you think you could tell me some nice things about it?

Old 01-11-2009, 08:32 AM

3,219 posts, read 8,009,792 times
San Antonio would be your best bet oveall.

Old 01-12-2009, 02:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by imaterry78259 View Post
San Antonio would be your best bet oveall.
From what I can tell online, I do have a bit of a soft spot for San Antonio. Can you tell me why you think so?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or