U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-07-2009, 06:14 PM

8 posts, read 13,186 times

Advertisements

Do you know of any small cities with a neighborhood like the north end of Boise, Idaho? Any help or ideas would be greatly appreciated.

I've lived all over the US but this neighborhood is exactly what I'm looking for. If you know the north end well (or someplace that sounds like it) and all it has to offer, would love your input! Broke up with a boyfriend and wanted to start over. Have been traveling and working for past 8 months but haven't found it yet.

I'm looking for a similar cost of living (rented an older 2 br + den house with huge yard for $600 mo), a co-op or other natural foods store, eclectic and historic homes varying in price range, farmer's market but possible to have your own garden, safe for a female to walk at night coming home from friend's homes or from watching local bands or college football game, art scene, walkable and bikeable most times of year (yes, you can ride a cruiser bicycle in Boise 365 days a yr with only a few tough days), 4 seasons, job availability in the medical, dental or nutritional fields, people that appreciate diversity, close to various outdoor activities, mixed as far as politics but liberal leaning, festivals or music close by and also walk to a vibrant downtown, a very close-knit community but also welcoming... Most likely it would need to have a university as I am addicted to college football. I know I have a lot of wants but would also like a place that is not too "hilly" because who wants to ride your bike up a big hill after drinking a couple of beers?

I live in Asheville, NC now and it is an awesome place although definitely not bikeable, very dangerous to try, rare to find a sidewalk, have never seen a bike lane... Have a feeling that putting my bike in my car and driving somewhere to ride my bike is the only option. The south is interesting but wondering what else may be out there.

I've read the forums on city data for several years. But just joined today. Over the past 4 months I have read thousands of posts. I can not find the answer to my question. I also posted on the Boise Forum but have not received a response. Please give me some hope as I'm wondering if there is a comparable place that exists. Thank you.

Last edited by Bo; 01-07-2009 at 06:21 PM.. Reason: updated thread title to make it easier to find with search.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2009, 06:27 PM

108 posts, read 429,532 times
I feel like Portland, OR fits most of what you're looking for. Don't know much about rents but we're probably higher than you're looking for. Otherwise, the close-in Portland neighborhoods sound like a good fit. Or what about Eugene, OR? I don't know the Boise neighborhood you mentioned, just going on your "wants" list.

Old 01-07-2009, 08:02 PM

56,617 posts, read 80,910,543 times
Sounds like the Westcott/University neighborhood in my city. Also, Ithaca NY would definately fit that description for you. Here's information on both areas:

Westcott/University:
Westcott Community Center

Greater University HillÂ* — Syracuse, New York

Westcott, Syracuse - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Westcott Street Cultural Fair

University Neighborhood, Syracuse, New York - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

University Hill, Syracuse - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Marshall Street - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Welcome to The Westcott

Westcott Florist, Inc. - Syracuse, NY - Flower Delivery and Gifts

Westcott

Westcott East Neighborhood Association

UNPA - Resources (http://www.unpa.net/resources/index.htm - broken link)

SEUNA - Home

syracuse real food cooperative, inc.

Syracuse University

Ithaca:
Complete guide to Ithaca, NY hotels, attractions, dining, shopping and recreation with maps and driving directions. The official web site of Ithaca, New York and Tompkins County Convention and Visitors Bureau in the Finger Lakes.

Ithaca

Cornell University

Ithaca College, Ithaca, NY

Ecovillage at Ithaca

Ithaca Hours - Local Currency - Ithaca, New York

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/11/14/gr.../14havens.html

Ithaca Farmer's Market (http://www.ithacamarket.com/home.php - broken link)

The Nines in Ithaca, NY

Ithaca's Smart Monkey Cafe - Home

The Chapter House Brew Pub - Ithaca, New York

The State Theatre of Ithaca, NY

USATODAY.com - Ithaca, N.Y., is No. 1 'emerging' city

Escapemaker.com - Ithaca, NY

Castaways of Ithaca, Tompkins County's Home for Live Music

Best Towns 2008: Ithaca, NY | Outside Online (http://outside.away.com/outside/destinations/200808/best-towns-ithaca-new-york.html - broken link)

greenstar.coop - Home

Triphammer : the Place (http://www.triphammercoop.org/place.php - broken link)

Ithaca, New York - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

http://www.city-data.com/picfilesc/picc16322.php

TCAT Bus : Ride : All Areas | Tompkins Consolidated Area Transit, New York

and some more information:
City of Syracuse

Syracuse, New York - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Syracuse, New York - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Syracuse New Times - The Central New York Alternative, Local Bands & Events Calendar - LATEST ARTICLES

Denied:1up! Software ()

Ithaca Downtown Partnership: Downtown Ithaca

14850 Online: Welcome to Downtown Ithaca

Metro Lounge and Sushi Bar - 505 Westcott Street, Syracuse, NY - 315-428-0810 - Home of Free Gas Friday

Syracuse Convention & Visitors Bureau

Cayuga Medical Center at Ithaca

Crouse Hospital - Syracuse, New York, USA

University Hospital: Home

Downtown Syracuse

Armory Square :: Official Website for Historic Downtown Syracuse, NY

Clinton Square, Armory Square and Downtown Syracuse NY

hope this helps......

Old 01-07-2009, 08:24 PM
Status: "Nobody's right if everybody's wrong" (set 27 days ago)

9,838 posts, read 21,142,259 times
I've never been to North Boise. Are you looking for a neighborhood with lots of local coffee shops, health food stores, and art galleries in a safe city with lots of bike lanes/ trails?

You might want to consider the Highlands area of Louisville, KY. The 'Ville has lots of medical jobs, 4 seasons with only a few days of ice or snow making biking difficult, and very affordable.

Old 01-07-2009, 09:13 PM

1,196 posts, read 4,340,949 times
I think you should stay in the northwest. Look at Eugene, Portland, or even Seattle. There are plenty of neighborhoods with what you would like.

Old 01-07-2009, 09:52 PM

3,115 posts, read 6,497,713 times
I think Austin fits everything perfectly except for it might be more expensive than what you're looking for. It's a great college town. Denton or Lubbock might fit also.

Old 01-07-2009, 10:07 PM

8,031 posts, read 7,635,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Westerner92 View Post
I think Austin fits everything perfectly except for it might be more expensive than what you're looking for. It's a great college town.
"4 seasons, job availability in the medical, dental or nutritional fields, people that appreciate diversity"

Austin certainly does not have the first, or much in the second, and is iffy on the last.

Old 01-08-2009, 02:09 AM

5,812 posts, read 16,656,077 times
Columbia, Missouri was voted as one of America's best towns by Forbes last year I think. It's a college town (Mizzou). You could try looking there. I don't know about jobs, though.

Old 01-08-2009, 06:56 AM

8 posts, read 13,186 times
Thank you all so much for your suggestions. After months of reading posts, I also have each of these cities on a list as possibilities. I've never been to any of these cities and it is really nice to hear that some of them may be what I'm searching for.

Thank you so much for the extensive info on Ithaca/Syracuse and photos for Kentucky. You've all given me hope!

Old 01-08-2009, 11:01 AM

5,859 posts, read 14,049,839 times
Never been there, but from what I've read and heard about it, Missoula, MT might fit the bill! Would be alot closer to where you live now, too. Good luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or