U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Where will you go if the USA ceases to exist?
Canada 20 21.28%
Mexico 4 4.26%
Somewhere else 32 34.04%
Stick it out 38 40.43%
Voters: 94. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2009, 09:36 AM

7,936 posts, read 13,860,578 times

Advertisements

I think this thread is ridiculous and paranoid, but to answer the question, *if* this country got really bad or "ceased to exist," I would go to Ireland.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2009, 09:38 AM

8,340 posts, read 14,095,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spartanacus View Post
Let's face it, things are getting bad. I've read where some say our nation will fall apart anywhere from 2010 to 2012. If that happens, do you try to get out while the getting out is still okay, and if so, will you go to Canada, Mexico, somewhere else, or stick it out here?
It's funny; members of the tin foil hat club have been saying this stuff for decades; centuries even. THE SKY IS FALLING! THE SKY IS FALLING! WE ARE DOOMED! OH NO!!

Old 01-08-2009, 10:54 AM

11,172 posts, read 22,366,973 times
Umm, IF (it won't in the next few years) the most powerful economy and country on the planet folds up and dies....what exactly do you think if going to happen to the rest of the world???

It's not like they're going to turn their backs and keep going on like they always were....

It would be worldwide chaos, and many countries would fall. Europe is in it just as deep as we are if you watch all the reports and actually follow individual countries. They're projected to have almost a worse time with this than we have, they're just about 4-5 months behind us. The Middle East....who gets a massive chunk of their revenues from oil sales.......oil sales to the US. They'd be in it far deeper than we would. At least we have the resources to hold ourselves together. Africa? They're already a mess and dependant to a large degree on international aid. Asia? China and Japan...the huge exporter countries who export their goods to people in the US? You'd be ripping the rug out from under our entire global economy, and it would take years to build it back up again.

The other issue....

It's not like everyone in the world is going to throw their doors open to 300 million people as we run away from the US.

Those borders will be thrown shut immediately, and you're not going to be jumping a flight...with millions of other people....to another country.

If the USA falls apart, 99% are going to be sitting here falling apart with her.

Old 01-08-2009, 10:56 AM

2,449 posts, read 4,811,713 times
what makes you think canada and mexico, 2 countries which in large part depend on the US, will be around after the occurence of something so extreme as the dissolution of the US? Also, whatever caused the dissolution of the US would likely be taking place globally, anyway.

Old 01-08-2009, 11:27 AM

2,716 posts, read 6,214,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluebeard View Post
what makes you think canada and mexico, 2 countries which in large part depend on the US, will be around after the occurence of something so extreme as the dissolution of the US? Also, whatever caused the dissolution of the US would likely be taking place globally, anyway.
Unlessssss, it's the dollar's demize which triggers crazy inflation and zero foreign investment.

Bottom line, with our trade deficit and our national debt, the US will absolutely positively default on loans to China, Japan, etc. and that will destroy the dollar.

Things will get bad, but not to the point where it would make sense to move to a foreign country. Others will be hurting also.

The dollar is f*cked and we've been unkowingly destroying it since the US financial insitution of 1913.

Old 01-08-2009, 01:51 PM

2,116 posts, read 4,201,193 times
Well, I am already in Canada but if the US goes down Canada (and the rest of the world) is going down with us. Soooo I guess I'll just live out in the woods with a bow and arrow. Although, I did like the sailboat idea someone else said.

Old 01-08-2009, 04:52 PM

7,288 posts, read 13,493,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spartanacus View Post
Let's face it, things are getting bad. I've read where some say our nation will fall apart anywhere from 2010 to 2012. If that happens, do you try to get out while the getting out is still okay, and if so, will you go to Canada, Mexico, somewhere else, or stick it out here?
I am profoundly disappointed in the United States. Under everyones' nose, this country permitted itself to invent up the current economic problem. Poor people living like millionaires results in only two things: 1) Someone gets cheated; 2) The government subsidizes it.

Sadly, whether directly or indirectly, both #1 and #2 came true. And it's a double dose of the same problem. Not only did a lot of people get cheated, we're getting cheated again... and again... and again. Me, you, everyone. And now it's snowballed beyond a quick fix.

The problem is, there aren't really any better places to be right now. The whole world is reeling from the pain, not just the US.

Old 01-08-2009, 05:13 PM

2,449 posts, read 4,811,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burgerflipper View Post
Unlessssss, it's the dollar's demize which triggers crazy inflation and zero foreign investment.

Bottom line, with our trade deficit and our national debt, the US will absolutely positively default on loans to China, Japan, etc. and that will destroy the dollar.

Things will get bad, but not to the point where it would make sense to move to a foreign country. Others will be hurting also.

The dollar is f*cked and we've been unkowingly destroying it since the US financial insitution of 1913.
not, not unless. if the US goes down, it would surely take north america with it. economies and social problems don't fully stop at borders, especially in such extreme circumstances as the dissolution of the richest country in the world. Our neighbors depend on us to a huge extent.i
besides, if the dollar gets dropped as a major world currency, a big if, that doesn't mean the US "dies". and note that the US dollar rose during the economic crisis. it was falling before the crisis took hold. as far as currencies go, the dollar is far from the worst. look at our debt levels compared to a lot of other countries, developed or not developed (Italy, Greece, etc...).
Japan suffered deflation, but exists, more or less, the same as before. Has it changed in 10 years? of course. but what country hasn't?

Old 01-08-2009, 05:17 PM

4,570 posts, read 6,544,137 times
If the United States will go down, it will set off a chain reaction. Germany, Britain, France, Japan, China, etc have pretty big trading ties with the United States.

Old 01-08-2009, 05:39 PM

92 posts, read 196,045 times
If the situation in the US is so dire, how come so many people go to such extremes to move here, get educated here, and apply for work visas here?...Am I missing something??
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or