U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: If you had to move to the South where would you move?
Charlotte 20 14.39%
Virginia Beach 13 9.35%
Atlanta 10 7.19%
Jacksonville 3 2.16%
Tampa 4 2.88%
Orlando 1 0.72%
Miami 17 12.23%
Nashville 15 10.79%
Memphis 3 2.16%
New Orleans 4 2.88%
Dallas 10 7.19%
Houston 16 11.51%
San Antonio 4 2.88%
Austin 19 13.67%
Voters: 139. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2009, 10:25 PM

4,552 posts, read 13,454,505 times

Advertisements

I chose Nashville on that list, but I think I would rather live in Huntsville,Alabama.

Old 01-08-2009, 11:43 PM

5,772 posts, read 13,726,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tahiti View Post
rachael, you simply don't get it. how can I say this...it's not WHAT you say, it's HOW you say it, and your unwillingness to even entertain the notion that maybe, just maybe, someone is telling the truth. Listen, I get you love NYC, I do too (it's my favorite city)! But every post of yours has this simmering "superiority" beneath the surface. And I am a Northerner who grew up ~3 miles from Manhattan telling you this, not some so-called "jealous Southerner".

"I never saw anything close to the ethnic foods I listed. I think you're exaggerating."

"Those who were born and raised in NY probably feel similar to the way I do."

"I would want to be able to be within close driving distance to the best gyros you'll ever taste (the neighborhood I live in has the highest number of greeks outside of Greece), have my choice of 5 different European supermarkets within 2 miles, have 5 different ethnic foods within one block, get extremely cheap/good sushi (not to mention 6 sushi restaurants within about 7 blocks) at any time of the day, and not to mention the tastiest bagels and pizza. Sorry, can't get all those within one neighborhood anywhere down south."

I thought you were moving out into LI? There's a neighborhood in Nassau County that fits this criteria?

"We're going to get a lot of negative responses from our posts, you know that, right? Southerners are going to take what we said in totally the wrong way. It's just something they can't fully understand unless they're from a major city in the north. The north and south are different ways of life."

If I were to say what you're trying to get across, I'd word it something like this...

"Personally, I prefer the North for the variety of different cuisines I can easily get. In my trips to the South I haven't been able to find what I can up here, and I've been to Atlanta, Florida, xxx, xxx. Also, I like the NYC culture: the blah blah blah blah. But if I had to pick a city, I'd probably pick Virginia Beach, because it more closely resembles what I like."

And then, if someone came back and said "In my neighborhood in Atlanta I can get all that", I wouldn't say "I think you're exaggerating", I'd say "Really!! Where is it so next time I visit I can check it out".

Seriously, I don't mean to be nasty, you seem like a nice person, but can you see the difference?
Bostonian here. Have to agree with Tahiti on the whole idea that the way you phrase it is key. I've posted on a number of threads comparing this or that Sun Belt city, in either the South or the West, with this or that old, densely built Northeastern or Midwestern city, and have tried to phrase those posts in the way Tahiti suggests. Along the lines of, "I would prefer NYC/Philly/Boston/Chicago to Vegas/Phoenix/Raleigh. I like the old-style cities where eveything is packed into a dense central area so you can get to everything you go to the city for by walking or taking a quick subway ride . . ." Nothing wrong with stating a preference in that way. What I try to avoid doing is saying--or implying--that there is anything inferior about places that don't happen to fit my preferences.

There is all the difference between stating a preference in matter-of-fact terms, and putting down the places one does not happen to prefer in the manner of some of these posts on here (such as, to paraphrase, I'd take VA Beach because it's the closest city on the list to CIVILISATION). Rachael, I know that one was not your post, but what I'm really doing here is agreeing with Tahiti's observations on some of your posts as a starting point for making a general observation on the kinds of posts you see on this forum time and again when Northerners start taking potshots at the South. I'll give the OP credit for adding a post criticizing the condescension showing up on this thread, but geez, even the title of this thread implies something inferior about an entire region: If you HAD to move to the South. Amazing how there is one prejudice that can still be openly expressed with impunity, and it usually seems to be those who view themselves as progressive and tolerant who express that prejudice, and who don't even get what is offensive about their attitude.

Okay, off the soapbox. I used to go to Jacksonville as a kid--my grandparents lived there. A kid's view of a city would not compare to what I understand now about what makes a city for me. The best I can tell, J'ville's nicer neighborhoods are attractive, and overall it's probably a pleasant city, but maybe it's kind of mundane. I'd have to go back and spend some time there as an adult to be sure, though.

I'm not really familiar with what most Southern cities are like at present, but the one I think would be the city I would investigate first is not on the list in the poll. That would be Richmond. I understand that Richmond has some sprawling suburban areas, but it also has a nice old central area, with classic architecture, and a bunch of stuff going on in one tightly packed area, so that city amenities are easy to get to once you're in town, and you get some of that urban vibrancy that comes from having varied activities in close proximity. History, cultural institutions, nice river running through the city. A little bit like the Boston of the South maybe. Nice four-season climate, summers a bit long and muggy maybe, but pleasant overall, mountains and the coast close by. Yeah, if circumstances had me on the move, I would definitely give Richmond a closer look.

Old 01-09-2009, 12:16 AM

2,237 posts, read 6,565,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ogre View Post
If you HAD to move to the South. Amazing how there is one prejudice that can still be openly expressed with impunity, and it usually seems to be those who view themselves as progressive and tolerant who express that prejudice, and who don't even get what is offensive about their attitude.
I suppose I could have worded it as such: If you WERE to move to the South.
However, then I'd get so many from the North saying they wouldn't. The question of the OP was never meant to be condescending, and indeed, it is quite reasonable to take it without a shred of such. The word "had" simply denotes that one is forced to move from their chosen city/state and must relocate in the South (something which inherently shows no condescension). The word "had" also serves the purpose in the assumption that people have already chosen the city they wish to live in.
My conclusion, therefore, on your post and the posts of others who have suggested that this thread posed an immediate bias is this: that you are being overly sensitive and are taking offense when none is intended or syntactically implied.

Old 01-09-2009, 12:19 AM

4,678 posts, read 8,513,005 times
As someone that already lives in the South, I guess my vote really doesn't count anyways but I'll add that Nashville is one of the best places I've ever been and if the job market was better would probably be here forever.

It's really a great city and a great place to raise a family.

Old 01-09-2009, 12:28 AM

2,015 posts, read 5,005,214 times
Tough choice, I'd pick Austin from that list, good vibe, green and a thriving city that isn't overwhelming. However I probably wouldn't live in a major city down South, they aren't really much different from any major city elsewhere. Some of the fastest growing regions from that of 1990-2005 or so were in the Southeast/Southwest and Rockies while the Northeast and Midwest saw a slowdown in growth. In comparison Charlote is a great place to start a career with affordable living and a comparable wage, but even a place like Charlotte in the past 10 years had a hard time keeping up infrastructure to meet the demands of growth. A couple smaller towns that are worthy of mentioning are Charlottesville, VA Asheville, NC Greenville, NC Fayetteville, AR Chattanooga, TN and Knoxville, TN.

Old 01-09-2009, 12:50 AM

717 posts, read 2,495,983 times
I voted for Orlando because that is what my family did 8 years ago. However, it is not the same choice I would make today.

I was born in Chicago and spent 30 years in Illinois. The next 12 were spent in Harrisburg, PA. Obviously, I am not as young as many of you are and I can easily see many of the same perceptions seeping thru the posts as I had when I was in my 20's & 30's.

I had 4 children and we moved to the south (Orlando) to be able to do all of the fun things we didn't have up north--or had already done. As I grew up in Illinois my family came to Florida over spring break every year because I had 2 aunts down here. When you are from up north and it is Mar/April--and still cold with the same grey skies you've been looking at for 6 mos already--Florida looks absolutely like heaven on earth. We bought annual Disney passes--and then I went to work for the mouse. My husband was able to transfer with his company--so we didn't have to take the pay cut. The kids were thrilled to be running around in shorts and flip flops all year. The beaches were 1 hr to the east and 1 1/2hrs to the west. We had a mountain of things to do here for quite a while--and we really enjoyed doing them.

Florida is by no means the "true south" anymore--if indeed it ever was. But now that I have the kids thru high school (all honor students and going to college in Florida with Bright Futures Scholarships-college is 75-100% paid); it is time for me to look for my "new utopia"--and my utopia will be somewhere in the south. I ABSOLUTELY LOVE TRUE SOUTHERN PEOPLE!!! and I cannot emphasize that enough.

I am fortunate enough to have a friendly, outgoing personality from my mid-western roots,but it still does not compare to the warmth and graciousness of southern hospitality.

I have had the opportunity to spend a great deal of time in many of the cities listed--and many not listed that I love as well. I went back to school and spent 10 months living in Miami in 2007....LADIES...NEVER EVER LET ANYONE TELL YOU THAT YOUR CHANCES OF FINDING A MAN ARE NEXT TO NOTHING AFTER 40! Not true in this city at all--and I wasn't even looking! Having had 4 kids and not the body of a 20 something anymore--I was enjoying the aattention.

In 2004 I lived in Raleigh (Cary) for 6 months. I really, really liked it there very much. That was actually my first eye-opening experience to spending a lot of time in the true south. It wasn't long before my southern accent kicked in (if your from Illinois, you know that Chicagoans think anybody more than 30-40 miles south of the city has a southern accent)--and on top of that I lived in Carbondale for a few years where southern accents do prevail--very close to Kentucky & Tennssee.

I hated to leave Raleigh to return to Orlando--and I have known from that point on that I want to find my haven somewhere in the south--the true south. I have no desire to go back to cold, northern winters & grey skies that seemingly never end from November thru April.

I personally also love Atlanta--and Atlanta is on my short list. I am into metaphysical/new age/natural health, etc--so Asheville is teriffic for that--esp.if I were younger. It's just a little too funky for me & expensive--but very beautiful.

I spent all of December traveling thru Georgia, North Carolina & Virginia. I'm not really considering VA Beach--but more likely Williamsburg in the Hampton Roads area. I love American Colonial History--so here I can get my historical fix that I miss from Pennsylvania.

In a few weeks I am making plans to head out to Texas and the towns listed to see what kind of feel I get there. I was in Dallas a few years ago, but my initial impression was that it's in the middle of no where. I am very much looking forward to checking out Austin & San Antonio.

Then, it will be time for me to decide where to pack my bags and head off to. I will be opening a skin care practice and also incorporating my other wellness skills into a business--which will begin a whole new phase of my life. I am really excited about these things and I will be following this thread really closely.

Old 01-09-2009, 05:56 AM

8,900 posts, read 13,236,781 times
I just don't see why I'm attacked so much on this thread. I picked a city in case I "had" to move south, so what's the big deal? All I'm saying is that the south doesn't offer what I want and I would prefer to stay up north. I notice a lot of southerners take offense if you don't want to move down south. I don't take offense if people say they don't want to move to NY. It isn't a big deal to me. Everyone has their own preferences. I'm glad some people see that I'm not attacking anyone or anything.

Old 01-09-2009, 06:01 AM

2,898 posts, read 2,877,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachael84 View Post
Don't care to learn? I regularly go to the south. I have justified opinions. It's not like I've never stepped foot in the south and don't know what it's like. I go to Florida every 3 months for a week at a time. I wouldn't want to live there, nor anywhere else, in the south.
This is why you are being attacked Rachael. You have visited a tiny area of the South, yet you just know that you would hate it based on.....????? Nothing. If you are going to make condescending remarks about a whole area, at least visit a number of places there so you can come up with something more credible. I guarantee you would react the same way if someone said something like "I visited newark a few times and I would never ever consider living anywhere else in the entire Northeast based on that"

Old 01-09-2009, 06:18 AM

2,601 posts, read 4,071,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetclimber View Post
This is why you are being attacked Rachael. You have visited a tiny area of the South, yet you just know that you would hate it based on.....????? Nothing. If you are going to make condescending remarks about a whole area, at least visit a number of places there so you can come up with something more credible. I guarantee you would react the same way if someone said something like "I visited newark a few times and I would never ever consider living anywhere else in the entire Northeast based on that"
"People who live in glass houses should not throw stones." People can have an opinion that we disagree with. Obviously some remarks sound condescending, but most of us are smart enough to recognize the intent, and can tell whether they're based on fact, opinion, or bias. You, yourself, have made condescending remarks that are really based on your opinion or bias, certainly not fact. We're all guilty of that - no one should be attacked.

Old 01-09-2009, 06:47 AM

12,284 posts, read 31,762,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachael84 View Post
I just don't see why I'm attacked so much on this thread. I picked a city in case I "had" to move south, so what's the big deal? All I'm saying is that the south doesn't offer what I want and I would prefer to stay up north. I notice a lot of southerners take offense if you don't want to move down south. I don't take offense if people say they don't want to move to NY. It isn't a big deal to me. Everyone has their own preferences. I'm glad some people see that I'm not attacking anyone or anything.
did you read my post at all? if you did and still don't understand, well, not sure what else I can say. bottom line, it's not WHAT is said or your opinion, it's HOW it's said. That, and the fact that johnatl mentioned he can get the same food in his neighborhood. instead of learning more about it, you promptly dismissed him. *that's* what *i'm* talking about.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.