U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
View Poll Results: If you had to move to the South where would you move?
Charlotte 20 14.39%
Virginia Beach 13 9.35%
Atlanta 10 7.19%
Jacksonville 3 2.16%
Tampa 4 2.88%
Orlando 1 0.72%
Miami 17 12.23%
Nashville 15 10.79%
Memphis 3 2.16%
New Orleans 4 2.88%
Dallas 10 7.19%
Houston 16 11.51%
San Antonio 4 2.88%
Austin 19 13.67%
Voters: 139. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread
 
Old 01-10-2009, 12:53 PM
 
Location: Houston Texas
2,898 posts, read 2,881,097 times
Reputation: 877

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachael84 View Post
That's why I get so many negative comments from people from the south here. I'm open about how I feel about everything; I don't hold anything back. most NYers are brutally honest. Lots of people take us in the wrong way, but it's just the way we're raised. It's not that we're mean. I'm sure many people in the north feel the same way I do about living outside of their area and not wanting to go to the south for a few reasons, but I just have the nerve to explain every reason why. And in general I would rather have someone be brutally honest to my face than being nice and being fake about it.

That's why it's tough to make it out here. Many NYers are so honest and people take it in the wrong way. Try to make it in acting and you'll get tons of honest feedback. You'll hear it the way it is. People take it in the wrong way and move away; thinking that they couldn't make it in NY. It's the NY attitude that keeps you going because you know people are just being honest and it doesn't get you down.

We only get offended when people make comments and haven't even been to most of the places here. If someone has actually lived here and found that it wasn't right, fine , but at least they gave it a try. As far as that "NY attitude" I don't think it is really that straight forward and "in your face" I used to live there and NYC people used to think that I was brutally truthful by THEIR standards

 
Old 01-10-2009, 01:04 PM
 
Location: Concrete jungle where dreams are made of.
8,900 posts, read 13,252,967 times
Reputation: 1819
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetclimber View Post
We only get offended when people make comments and haven't even been to most of the places here. If someone has actually lived here and found that it wasn't right, fine , but at least they gave it a try. As far as that "NY attitude" I don't think it is really that straight forward and "in your face" I used to live there and NYC people used to think that I was brutally truthful by THEIR standards

Probably because nearly 80% of people who live in NYC are transplants, that's why.
 
Old 01-10-2009, 01:15 PM
 
Location: Charlotte, NC
40 posts, read 49,906 times
Reputation: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by JViello View Post
Probably for the same reasons you want to leave...just saying.
No, JV I doubt it. The ONLY reason I want to leave is that I grew up here and I would like change and a new adventure. But thanks for answering a question that you weren't asked.
 
Old 01-10-2009, 01:22 PM
 
Location: Charlotte, NC
40 posts, read 49,906 times
Reputation: 35
THIS IS NOT EVEN THE POINT OF THIS POST YOU GUYS!!!! ALL IT IS ASKING IS WHAT CITY YOU WOULD LIVE IN IF YOU MOVED TO THE SOUTH, NOT IF YOU LIKE THE SOUTH OR NOT. GUESS WHAT...WE DON'T CARE IF YOU LIKE THE SOUTH...IF YOU DON'T, STAY THE HELL UP THERE!!! IF YOU DO, MOVE DOWN HERE!!! BUT SHUT THE HELL UP ABOUT YOUR STUPID OPINIONS OF IT!!!! NOBODY CARES!!!!!!
 
Old 01-10-2009, 01:22 PM
 
Location: Atlanta
7,732 posts, read 12,160,992 times
Reputation: 2774
Denver, Denver, Denver.
 
Old 01-10-2009, 01:24 PM
 
Location: Charlotte, NC
40 posts, read 49,906 times
Reputation: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnatl View Post
Denver, Denver, Denver.
yeah yeah yeah...
 
Old 01-10-2009, 01:25 PM
 
Location: Atlanta
7,732 posts, read 12,160,992 times
Reputation: 2774
Sorry, Lindsey. Couldn't resist.
 
Old 01-10-2009, 02:08 PM
 
10,167 posts, read 17,127,079 times
Reputation: 5742
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachael84 View Post
That's why I get so many negative comments from people from the south here. I'm open about how I feel about everything; I don't hold anything back. most NYers are brutally honest. Lots of people take us in the wrong way, but it's just the way we're raised. It's not that we're mean. I'm sure many people in the north feel the same way I do about living outside of their area and not wanting to go to the south for a few reasons, but I just have the nerve to explain every reason why. And in general I would rather have someone be brutally honest to my face than being nice and being fake about it.
I appreciate what you say, Rachael, but at the same time you have to realize that what might be considered "admirable frankness" Up North, can be considered tacky rudeness down here. And for good reason.

You can call it "fake"...but to us in the South? We just call it Good Manners!

But the larger point is, humor and mannerisms are perhaps the most difficult to translate across regional lines. And the "value" placed upon either -- positive or negative -- just depends on which part of the country one is from. This is not always a "bad" thing. In fact, it reflect the TRUE diversity of our United States.
 
Old 01-10-2009, 02:15 PM
 
28,905 posts, read 46,767,657 times
Reputation: 46039
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasReb View Post
I appreciate what you say, Rachael, but at the same time you have to realize that what might be considered "admirable frankness" Up North, can be considered tacky rudeness down here. And for good reason.

You can call it "fake"...but to us in the South? We just call it Good Manners!

But the larger point is, humor and mannerisms are perhaps the most difficult to translate across regional lines. And the "value" placed upon either -- positive or negative -- just depends on which part of the country one is from. This is not always a "bad" thing. In fact, it reflect the TRUE diversity of our United States.
You know, I'm always suspicious of people who pride themselves on frankness. Because really what they're saying is, "You know, there is no intervening gear between my brain and my mouth. I'm going to say it without really considering the effect my words will have on others, or if it's even true or not. Because the only thing that matters is the weight of my pronouncements."
 
Old 01-10-2009, 02:30 PM
 
Location: Pittsburgh
2,237 posts, read 6,569,198 times
Reputation: 843
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
You know, I'm always suspicious of people who pride themselves on frankness. Because really what they're saying is, "You know, there is no intervening gear between my brain and my mouth. I'm going to say it without really considering the effect my words will have on others, or if it's even true or not. Because the only thing that matters is the weight of my pronouncements."
Sounds more like valuing the truth and clarity to me. You don't have to wonder if someone's tongue is split, you can take their words at face value.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top