U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: If you had to move to the South where would you move?
Charlotte 20 14.39%
Virginia Beach 13 9.35%
Atlanta 10 7.19%
Jacksonville 3 2.16%
Tampa 4 2.88%
Orlando 1 0.72%
Miami 17 12.23%
Nashville 15 10.79%
Memphis 3 2.16%
New Orleans 4 2.88%
Dallas 10 7.19%
Houston 16 11.51%
San Antonio 4 2.88%
Austin 19 13.67%
Voters: 139. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2009, 06:50 PM

28,905 posts, read 46,773,617 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ainulinale View Post
Just curious. Should immigrants have to assimilate 100% to American culture?
They certainly have to assimilate enough. For example, if a Saudi man moves to the United States and hopes to work in an office that is 50% women, then he'll have to certainly abandon Saudi notions on how to interact with women in the workplace.

Old 01-10-2009, 06:54 PM

Quote:
People take offense to different things. Perhaps taking such offense to the raw truth is the problem of the one taking it and not telling it.
Raw truth. A lovely phrase. It's meant to be self dignifying on your part, but it's really nothing more than giving yourself license to say whatever crosses your mind regardless of how it will affect others--in short an utterly self-centered view of the universe. Because your need to say exactly what you think overrides everything else, including feelings.

Let's put it to the test. Let's say you see people you know, and meet their children, who are not gifted with innate beauty. Do you tell them they have ugly children? Or do you soften matters by simply telling them that the kids can't help how they're born? Or do you simply say, "Oh, what lovely kids you have?"

Old 01-10-2009, 06:59 PM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

16,827 posts, read 33,239,916 times
Some members in this thread seem to need a reminder of this section of the City-Data Terms of Service:

Quote:
Be civil, no personal attacks, flaming, or insults. We may attack ideas (politely) but we do not attack the speaker of the idea. Be careful with your words, there is a point where being direct crosses a line into blunt, in-your-face hostility. Please, report bad posts instead of engaging in flame wars on the boards. Insulting another member or a moderator will not be tolerated anywhere on this website. This includes Direct Messages and Reputation Comments.
Please take a minute and reread those few sentences as if you've never read them before. We'll wait...

Now... If you see personal attacks, use the report post button and report them. Do not reply to them. Do not quote them. Do not refer to them in the third-person. The first thing that comes to your mind when you see rude personal attacks should be clicking and letting a moderator deal with them.

Old 01-10-2009, 07:03 PM

2,237 posts, read 6,569,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasReb View Post
That doesn't surprise me at all.
Well considering I'm a Physics major with an IQ that is 4 standard deviations above the average, perhaps it should.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasReb View Post
But quid pro quo on what threads are intended for whom. Had it been made clear the thread was intended for non-Southerners only, I would have been perfectly content to stay the hell out of it. I understand. However, next time, make it direct and clear. You don't want Southerners to reply. No problem with that. If not though, don't be surprised if we defend ourselves.

If I cannot "take it"? LMAO. Where do you come by THIS inane conclusion?
And the original post is...drum roll please...

"Assuming that you're from any other part of the country, which city would you chose to move and why?"

Though I thank the Southerners who gave civil responses, TexasReb, you have not. Like I said, if you can't take Northern bluntness without consuming my thread off topic posts, then I ask that you don't come here anymore.

Last edited by ainulinale; 01-10-2009 at 07:11 PM..

Old 01-10-2009, 07:05 PM

2,237 posts, read 6,569,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
Raw truth. A lovely phrase. It's meant to be self dignifying on your part, but it's really nothing more than giving yourself license to say whatever crosses your mind regardless of how it will affect others--in short an utterly self-centered view of the universe. Because your need to say exactly what you think overrides everything else, including feelings.

Let's put it to the test. Let's say you see people you know, and meet their children, who are not gifted with innate beauty. Do you tell them they have ugly children? Or do you soften matters by simply telling them that the kids can't help how they're born? Or do you simply say, "Oh, what lovely kids you have?"
Here's blatant: I find it unbelievable that I'm being personally attacked for supporting bluntness.
You want b*tch about the North, create your own thread to do it in.

Old 01-10-2009, 07:06 PM

8,900 posts, read 13,255,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pirate_lafitte View Post
How insulting! What is wrong with having everything in walking distance? I sure would like it. I can speak from personal experience that it helps to have things in walking distance. I don't have a car and from my own experience, alot of southern metros don't have adequate transit systems and walking around is a nightmare. Cars and cars galore.

I don't even see spurgeon's post anywhere, I don't know why. What an insult from someone who doesn't even know me. If I'm that dependent, then I'd need my mom's hand when I go to teach in the crime infested south Bronx, all the while commuting through Harlem and the south Bronx when it's dark out. How many blonde haired, blue eyed 24 year olds can say they are brave enough to do that?

I just feel the need to stand up for myself when I'm getting all these nonsense attacks from people who don't even know who I am.

I'm sorry to get off-topic, but that was something I had to say.

Old 01-10-2009, 07:09 PM

Quote:
Here's blatant: I find it unbelievable that I'm being personally attacked for supporting bluntness.
You want b*tch about the North, create your own thread to do it in.
You're not being attacked. I'm just pointing out that bluntness isn't really the admirable quality you think it is. And, given that this thread is about the South, and the corollary issue of the importance of politeness in the South, it's totally germane. For somebody who seems eager to tell everybody his IQ is a couple of notches above that of a rhesus monkey, surely you can follow the logic of it. What's more, for somebody who values bluntness, you sure have a thin skin.

Old 01-10-2009, 07:11 PM

48,276 posts, read 45,557,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachael84 View Post
I don't even see spurgeon's post anywhere, I don't know why. What an insult from someone who doesn't even know me. If I'm that dependent, then I'd need my mom's hand when I go to teach in the crime infested south Bronx, all the while commuting through Harlem and the south Bronx when it's dark out. How many blonde haired, blue eyed 24 year olds can say they are brave enough to do that?

I just feel the need to stand up for myself when I'm getting all these nonsense attacks from people who don't even know who I am.

I'm sorry to get off-topic, but that was something I had to say.
But I didn't attack you.

You can find spurgeon's post by redirecting to my original post.

Old 01-10-2009, 07:14 PM

10,167 posts, read 17,129,200 times
Quote:
Well considering I'm a Physics major with an IQ that is 4 standard deviations above the average, perhaps it should.
A physics major? A real live one? With an IQ FOUR standard deviations above the average? Not just three, but FOUR? Lord a mercy! If I had known THAT, I would have NEVER presumed to dispute your word on anything at all. My my. And to think I thought I was just dealing with human being who actually puts his pants on one leg at a time...

Quote:
And the original post is...drum roll please...

"Assuming that you're from any other part of the country, which city would you chose to move and why?"
*yawns* So tell me which part says "Southerners need not apply?" Maybe I missed something. But then again, I don't have an IQ which (drum roll, please) is a -- by gawd -- four standard deviations above the average.

Old 01-10-2009, 07:15 PM

8,900 posts, read 13,255,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pirate_lafitte View Post
But I didn't attack you.

You can find spurgeon's post by redirecting to my original post.

Nah, that wasn't towards you. In your post I saw spurgeon's post quoted inside yours. I thought it would show up when I quoted you, sorry.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.