U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: If you had to move to the South where would you move?
Charlotte 20 14.39%
Virginia Beach 13 9.35%
Atlanta 10 7.19%
Jacksonville 3 2.16%
Tampa 4 2.88%
Orlando 1 0.72%
Miami 17 12.23%
Nashville 15 10.79%
Memphis 3 2.16%
New Orleans 4 2.88%
Dallas 10 7.19%
Houston 16 11.51%
San Antonio 4 2.88%
Austin 19 13.67%
Voters: 139. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2009, 11:19 AM

7,732 posts, read 12,167,594 times

Advertisements

I hear you happ, and appreciate what you are trying to say.

To certain people with the mindset like I am speaking to, the South is this monolithic, tragic and predictable place that could never meet thier "perceived" wants or needs. They would rather be smug, insular and yes PROVINCIAL than to know any better. It's much more fun to bash places than to actually learn about them.

Old 01-08-2009, 11:23 AM

12,284 posts, read 31,798,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnatl View Post

To certain people with the mindset like I am speaking to, the South is this monolithic, tragic and predictable place that could never meet thier "perceived" wants or needs. They would rather be smug, insular and yes PROVINCIAL than to know any better. It's much more fun to bash places than to actually learn about them.
This northerner agrees 100% (see my post above yours).

Old 01-08-2009, 11:27 AM

5,031 posts, read 11,319,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnatl View Post

True & I don't think everybody has been to Atlanta. But when Atlanta is designated as the "hub" of the South it is actually more like a "northern" city than "southern" for some reason Now I'm getting confused. When I have been in Atlanta I can see all the "southern" charm but in a way that is more akin to progressive lifestyle & a great metro\ good clubs\ racial integration, etc.

Old 01-08-2009, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tahiti View Post
This northerner agrees 100% (see my post above yours).
Thanks, tahiti.

What is so funny about a lot of these threads where we are "collectively" talked down to is the little fact that there are millions of us down here that are originally from the North. I, for one anyway, live here by choice - nobody forced me. On top of that, many of us are "gasp" liberal leaning types. As in, my little hick Georgia County voted 87% for Obama. That usually really messes with their heads!

I get the feeling that it is assumed by many Northerners that they are always talking personally to Goober in these threads.

Old 01-08-2009, 11:38 AM

8,900 posts, read 13,261,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tahiti View Post
You're getting negative responses because your answers, whether you want to believe it or not, are condesending. There's a thing called "tact" that is woefully lacking in a lot of these answers. If southerners are "taking it the wrong way", maybe look to yourself as to WHY. But then again, I find that people don't care to learn, they want to judge and beat their chest. "Putting you down make me look better".

Don't care to learn? I regularly go to the south. I have justified opinions. It's not like I've never stepped foot in the south and don't know what it's like. I go to Florida every 3 months for a week at a time. I wouldn't want to live there, nor anywhere else, in the south.

Old 01-08-2009, 11:46 AM

Well, when all you see between New York and Florida are little hick crossroads off of the interstate exits where "they looked at us weird because of our accents," then you really have not been to the South.

Occasional trips to Florida will in no way give you a true picture of the South.

Old 01-08-2009, 11:57 AM

8,147 posts, read 9,597,410 times
I did move and was in Va beach/Norfolk for 20 years. Close enough to NY to visit and far enough away that relatives didn't show up unannounced.

Old 01-08-2009, 11:58 AM

15,989 posts, read 30,717,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VA Yankee View Post
I did move and was in Va beach/Norfolk for 20 years. Close enough to NY to visit and far enough away that relatives didn't show up unannounced.
This is the only reason that would make me leave TX

Old 01-08-2009, 12:01 PM

12,083 posts, read 34,199,053 times
I picked Nashville. Not because it is so close to the North, not because it has anything that reminds me of a northern city. I picked it because frankly I just plain like it better than the other choices. I've been to most of the cities listed except a couple in Florida. Lived close to Dallas for a few years, and have close friends in several of the other ones.

As someone who was born in the North and lived the vast majority of my life in the north, I think most of the people who live in Chicago and NYC have no idea of what a Northern City really is. They think their cities are the typical northern city and no matter where they go they will find something at least close to it in any northern state or city. WRONG! I'm 45 years old, have never set foot in a subway, train, cab, bus, or any mass transit vehicle. Why? Because there isn't any available where I have ever lived. Sushi at 3 AM - nope. Shoot I can't get sushi at noon anyplace even close to where I have lived and live now. Ethnic food of any type is an iffy proposition unless you consider a typical Americanized Chinese or Mexican place ethnic. I also believe that if you moved from an urban setting in the North to one in the South you would fit in alright. Same also holds true for a rural setting as well though. I live right in town and have a house on the "best" street in town. I still see at least 1 tractor a day drive by in the winter, and usually 3 or 4 everyday during the Summer. There are more farmers and their hired hands than there are suit and tie businessmen in town. People are people no matter where you go. Rural folks relate to rural folks no matter where they are from, same as city folk relate to other city folk. While living in the South the town I lived in was looked down on by neighboring Dallas and suburbs because it was a "poor cow town." Same as the town I live in now gets looked down on by larger cities because we are a "bunch of Farmers."

The whole North/South BS needs to be put to rest IMO. No, all of us Northerners don't need to look south for jobs thank you very much, we are not going to freeze to death for lack of heating oil either. Just as all you Southerners don't date your cousins and whistle at your sisters when they drive by in her Daisy Dukes on the John Deere. We all live for the most part where we want to. I prefer the Northern climate and landscape, one of my best friends prefers the Southern climate and landscape. Doesn't mean I'm right and he is wrong or he is right and I am wrong. We are in places that are right for each of us.

Old 01-08-2009, 12:21 PM

28,905 posts, read 46,792,267 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachael84 View Post
Don't care to learn? I regularly go to the south. I have justified opinions. It's not like I've never stepped foot in the south and don't know what it's like. I go to Florida every 3 months for a week at a time. I wouldn't want to live there, nor anywhere else, in the south.
That's the most ludicrous answer I've ever read. You fly down and stay somewhere on a beach, and that makes you an authority on an entire region? And if it's South Florida, then you're looking at the biggest accumulation of grifters, fly-by-night salesmen, and racketeers around. Heck, even if you drove down on the interstate, you wouldn't see much beyond Waffle Houses.

Heck, I had a client in Buffalo, New York, myself. Went there twice a year. Dreaded going. Doesn't mean I'd rule out the entire cotton-picking northeast as a place to live.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.