U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
View Poll Results: If you had to move to the South where would you move?
Charlotte 20 14.39%
Virginia Beach 13 9.35%
Atlanta 10 7.19%
Jacksonville 3 2.16%
Tampa 4 2.88%
Orlando 1 0.72%
Miami 17 12.23%
Nashville 15 10.79%
Memphis 3 2.16%
New Orleans 4 2.88%
Dallas 10 7.19%
Houston 16 11.51%
San Antonio 4 2.88%
Austin 19 13.67%
Voters: 139. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread
 
Old 01-08-2009, 02:40 PM
 
11,900 posts, read 32,951,018 times
Reputation: 8685

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachael84 View Post
lol no bagel i've ever eaten in Atlanta tasted good.

Those who were born and raised in NY probably feel similar to the way I do.

As big of a Braves fan I am, I only visit Atlanta. I wouldn't ever live there. If you're trying to say it's similar to NY, it's not. I never saw anything close to the ethnic foods I listed. I think you're exaggerating.
So you admit you've only visited Atlanta periodically but somehow you know everything there is to know about the place. You've seen every neighborhood, shopped at every ethnic grocery store and eaten at every bagel shop. Good for you.

 
Old 01-08-2009, 02:42 PM
 
Location: Atlanta
7,732 posts, read 12,164,199 times
Reputation: 2774
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachael84 View Post
lol no bagel i've ever eaten in Atlanta tasted good.

Those who were born and raised in NY probably feel similar to the way I do.

As big of a Braves fan I am, I only visit Atlanta. I wouldn't ever live there. If you're trying to say it's similar to NY, it's not. I never saw anything close to the ethnic foods I listed. I think you're exaggerating.
And I highly doubt you've ever seen anything of Atlanta other than looking for bagels at a Waffle House off of the freeway. Otherwise, you wouldn't be making such ridiculous blanket statements and assumptions about a place you obviously know nothing about.

You won't find good bagels at the airport as you change planes on the way to Florida, sorry.
 
Old 01-08-2009, 02:42 PM
 
Location: Charlotte, NC
40 posts, read 49,913 times
Reputation: 35
That's the whole point Rachael, the Southern cities and the people who choose to live in them don't WANT the lifestyle you just described. They CHOOSE not to have that!!! Yes, there are sections of the Southern cities that have that atmosphere but the majority do not because the residents have no desire for a "bagel" at 3 a.m. Just because you have it, does not make your city better, just different. I'm not saying one is better than the other either because I personally want to move to a bigger city with those options, but don't condemn the Southern cities because they are DIFFERENT! That's why they are different....so that different people can have different options!!!
 
Old 01-08-2009, 02:47 PM
 
Location: Concrete jungle where dreams are made of.
8,900 posts, read 13,257,413 times
Reputation: 1819
Quote:
Originally Posted by LindseyG696 View Post
That's the whole point Rachael, the Southern cities and the people who choose to live in them don't WANT the lifestyle you just described. They CHOOSE not to have that!!! Yes, there are sections of the Southern cities that have that atmosphere but the majority do not because the residents have no desire for a "bagel" at 3 a.m. Just because you have it, does not make your city better, just different. I'm not saying one is better than the other either because I personally want to move to a bigger city with those options, but don't condemn the Southern cities because they are DIFFERENT! That's why they are different....so that different people can have different options!!!

I'm not condemning them because they're different. They just attack my opinions of not wanting to move down south. All I did was list the reasons. This is the lifestyle I want and they fail to see that. Just like how they might like their lifestyle where they live.

And no, I've been all over Atlanta and have spent time there. Not on layovers. I go see the Braves and friends down in Atlanta. I know the city.
 
Old 01-08-2009, 02:49 PM
 
Location: metro ATL
8,190 posts, read 12,344,763 times
Reputation: 2698
Quote:
Originally Posted by coldwine View Post
I do. I absolutely do. So did everyone else I know. You know what else I needed? Grocery stores at 2am. My gym to be open at 3am, with a pool.
I can get that in Charlotte easy.

Quote:
Five star restaurants with tables past 12am.
Not sure about that one because I'm not really a five-star restaurant kind of guy.

Quote:
Last but not least, even if you don't work that much and need those conveniences as I did, there have been a lot of nights where I just didn't want to sleep. I wanted to go from the bar to the club to Starbucks to recoup with friends, to hit a restaurant and then find another club. I'm sorry you don't have that, because it's really something wonderful
I'm really not sure why I'd want to do all of that when I just worked 100 hours in a week. But hey, to each his or her own.
 
Old 01-08-2009, 02:53 PM
 
Location: ITP
2,133 posts, read 5,623,183 times
Reputation: 1347
Come on, guys. Rachel hasn't said anything wrong or offensive. She prefers NYC and it's as simple as that. It's a unique city and has an urban environment unparalleled by any other here in the US. She would be absolutely unhappy living here in Atlanta since she loves NYC that much. Sure we have a lot of great ethnic restaurants and some great bagel shops as well , but the urban fabric of Atlanta is vastly different. Hell, she said she likes visiting here and she also roots for the Braves--give the lady some props instead of attacking her.
 
Old 01-08-2009, 02:59 PM
 
Location: Charlotte, NC
40 posts, read 49,913 times
Reputation: 35
I think she is doing her own share of the attacking....but I wasn't intending to attack her myself. I just don't think she should be trashing the South on a thread that's simply asking which Southern city you would move to. So you like an urban environment.....so do I....but I'm not going to condemn those who don't.
 
Old 01-08-2009, 03:00 PM
 
Location: Atlanta
7,732 posts, read 12,164,199 times
Reputation: 2774
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachael84 View Post
I'm not condemning them because they're different. They just attack my opinions of not wanting to move down south. All I did was list the reasons. This is the lifestyle I want and they fail to see that. Just like how they might like their lifestyle where they live.

And no, I've been all over Atlanta and have spent time there. Not on layovers. I go see the Braves and friends down in Atlanta. I know the city.
I have no problems with your lifestyle or preferences in where you live. I DO however have a problem with your blanket statements about the South -and Atlanta in particular, when it is obvious you are completely clueless.

If you knew the city, as you claim you do, you wouldn't resort to accusations that I am exagerating how ethnic and diverse my area is.

Provincialism - Just say no!
 
Old 01-08-2009, 03:03 PM
 
Location: Atlanta
7,732 posts, read 12,164,199 times
Reputation: 2774
Quote:
Originally Posted by south-to-west View Post
Come on, guys. Rachel hasn't said anything wrong or offensive. She prefers NYC and it's as simple as that. It's a unique city and has an urban environment unparalleled by any other here in the US. She would be absolutely unhappy living here in Atlanta since she loves NYC that much. Sure we have a lot of great ethnic restaurants and some great bagel shops as well , but the urban fabric of Atlanta is vastly different. Hell, she said she likes visiting here and she also roots for the Braves--give the lady some props instead of attacking her.
Sorry, south-to-west but I have to disagree on this one.

Rachel has made several pretty ignorant blanket statements, and this is not the first thread either.
 
Old 01-08-2009, 03:05 PM
 
Location: Concrete jungle where dreams are made of.
8,900 posts, read 13,257,413 times
Reputation: 1819
Then don't read my posts and I wont with you guys, simple as that. What I have said isn't attacking anyone's opinions.

Thank you south-to-west.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top