U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
View Poll Results: If you had to move to the South where would you move?
Charlotte 20 14.39%
Virginia Beach 13 9.35%
Atlanta 10 7.19%
Jacksonville 3 2.16%
Tampa 4 2.88%
Orlando 1 0.72%
Miami 17 12.23%
Nashville 15 10.79%
Memphis 3 2.16%
New Orleans 4 2.88%
Dallas 10 7.19%
Houston 16 11.51%
San Antonio 4 2.88%
Austin 19 13.67%
Voters: 139. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread
 
Old 01-08-2009, 03:05 PM
 
12,050 posts, read 11,166,144 times
Reputation: 10010

Advertisements

I think you all (did I say that right?) should quit piling on Rachael. She's not being obnoxious; she's just stating that she'd rather not live in the South. There's nothing wrong with that.

You can't find the level of urbanity she enjoys in NYC in any other American city (that I've been to and I've been to quite a few) other than *maybe* Chicago, definitely not L.A. When I visit NYC, I am amazed at how convenient that place is. It's like you think of something and it magically appears. Everything, literally everything, is right in front of your face all at once.

It started raining one night. Within less than a minute every store magically had cheap umbrellas for sale -- they literally appeared out of nowhere. When I was in Chicago in July, it was kind of similar. I thought, I'm hungry -- it was 2 a.m. I walked out of my hotel lobby having absolutely no clue where I was going to go and found several choices immediately available to me within a few hundred feet.

Atlanta's great. It's not like that. Atlanta has something NYC does not have, however -- a pretty good urban setting that moves at a slower speed and is affordable. That's why we have cities and rural areas -- a North and South -- there's a place for everyone.

 
Old 01-08-2009, 03:06 PM
Status: "I hate living in Georgia!!" (set 21 days ago)
 
48,292 posts, read 45,587,548 times
Reputation: 15369
I will be honest, I don't consider Texas to be part of the South in any way, but if I had to pick off of the list, it would be Dallas,TX. I have been out there and it tops most things I find in Atlanta or other southern cities. The only disturbing thing about Dallas is the flatness of it. My honorable mentions go to VA Beach and Charlotte.
 
Old 01-08-2009, 03:08 PM
 
Location: Concrete jungle where dreams are made of.
8,900 posts, read 13,261,819 times
Reputation: 1819
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestCobb View Post
I think you all (did I say that right?) should quit piling on Rachael. She's not being obnoxious; she's just stating that she'd rather not live in the South. There's nothing wrong with that.

You can't find the level of urbanity she enjoys in NYC in any other American city (that I've been to and I've been to quite a few) other than *maybe* Chicago, definitely not L.A. When I visit NYC, I am amazed at how convenient that place is. It's like you think of something and it magically appears. Everything, literally everything, is right in front of your face all at once.

It started raining one night. Within less than a minute every store magically had cheap umbrellas for sale -- they literally appeared out of nowhere. When I was in Chicago in July, it was kind of similar. I thought, I'm hungry -- it was 2 a.m. I walked out of my hotel lobby having absolutely no clue where I was going to go and found several choices immediately available to me within a few hundred feet.

Atlanta's great. It's not like that. Atlanta has something NYC does not have, however -- a pretty good urban setting that moves at a slower speed and is affordable. That's why we have cities and rural areas -- a North and South -- there's a place for everyone.

Thank you
 
Old 01-08-2009, 03:10 PM
 
Location: metro ATL
8,190 posts, read 12,348,696 times
Reputation: 2698
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachael84 View Post
Don't care to learn? I regularly go to the south. I have justified opinions. It's not like I've never stepped foot in the south and don't know what it's like. I go to Florida every 3 months for a week at a time. I wouldn't want to live there, nor anywhere else, in the south.
Even then, what you're saying is like me saying, "I've been to Scranton, absolutely hate it, and for that reason would never live in Pittsburgh, NYC, or Boston." The South is FAR from being monolithic. No one Southern city or state is representative of the South as a whole.
 
Old 01-08-2009, 03:11 PM
 
Location: Concrete jungle where dreams are made of.
8,900 posts, read 13,261,819 times
Reputation: 1819
I know that, but of all the cities i've traveled to (many), the only other cities I would live in are Las Vegas and LA. I far prefer the southwest than to any other area outside the northeast.
 
Old 01-08-2009, 03:22 PM
 
Location: NJ
12,284 posts, read 31,798,109 times
Reputation: 5225
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachael84 View Post
Then don't read my posts and I wont with you guys, simple as that. What I have said isn't attacking anyone's opinions.

Thank you south-to-west.
rachael, you simply don't get it. how can I say this...it's not WHAT you say, it's HOW you say it, and your unwillingness to even entertain the notion that maybe, just maybe, someone is telling the truth. Listen, I get you love NYC, I do too (it's my favorite city)! But every post of yours has this simmering "superiority" beneath the surface. And I am a Northerner who grew up ~3 miles from Manhattan telling you this, not some so-called "jealous Southerner".

"I never saw anything close to the ethnic foods I listed. I think you're exaggerating."

"Those who were born and raised in NY probably feel similar to the way I do."

"I would want to be able to be within close driving distance to the best gyros you'll ever taste (the neighborhood I live in has the highest number of greeks outside of Greece), have my choice of 5 different European supermarkets within 2 miles, have 5 different ethnic foods within one block, get extremely cheap/good sushi (not to mention 6 sushi restaurants within about 7 blocks) at any time of the day, and not to mention the tastiest bagels and pizza. Sorry, can't get all those within one neighborhood anywhere down south."

I thought you were moving out into LI? There's a neighborhood in Nassau County that fits this criteria?

"We're going to get a lot of negative responses from our posts, you know that, right? Southerners are going to take what we said in totally the wrong way. It's just something they can't fully understand unless they're from a major city in the north. The north and south are different ways of life."

If I were to say what you're trying to get across, I'd word it something like this...

"Personally, I prefer the North for the variety of different cuisines I can easily get. In my trips to the South I haven't been able to find what I can up here, and I've been to Atlanta, Florida, xxx, xxx. Also, I like the NYC culture: the blah blah blah blah. But if I had to pick a city, I'd probably pick Virginia Beach, because it more closely resembles what I like."

And then, if someone came back and said "In my neighborhood in Atlanta I can get all that", I wouldn't say "I think you're exaggerating", I'd say "Really!! Where is it so next time I visit I can check it out".

Seriously, I don't mean to be nasty, you seem like a nice person, but can you see the difference?
 
Old 01-08-2009, 03:25 PM
 
Location: Atlanta
7,732 posts, read 12,167,594 times
Reputation: 2774
Quote:
Originally Posted by tahiti View Post
rachael, you simply don't get it. how can I say this...it's not WHAT you say, it's HOW you say it, and your unwillingness to even entertain the notion that maybe, just maybe, someone is telling the truth. Listen, I get you love NYC, I do too (it's my favorite city)! But every post of yours has this simmering "superiority" beneath the surface. And I am a Northerner who grew up ~3 miles from Manhattan telling you this, not some so-called "jealous Southerner".

"I never saw anything close to the ethnic foods I listed. I think you're exaggerating."

"Those who were born and raised in NY probably feel similar to the way I do."

"I would want to be able to be within close driving distance to the best gyros you'll ever taste (the neighborhood I live in has the highest number of greeks outside of Greece), have my choice of 5 different European supermarkets within 2 miles, have 5 different ethnic foods within one block, get extremely cheap/good sushi (not to mention 6 sushi restaurants within about 7 blocks) at any time of the day, and not to mention the tastiest bagels and pizza. Sorry, can't get all those within one neighborhood anywhere down south."

I thought you were moving out into LI? There's a neighborhood in Nassau County that fits this criteria?

"We're going to get a lot of negative responses from our posts, you know that, right? Southerners are going to take what we said in totally the wrong way. It's just something they can't fully understand unless they're from a major city in the north. The north and south are different ways of life."

If I were to say what you're trying to get across, I'd word it something like this...

"Personally, I prefer the North for the variety of different cuisines I can easily get. In my trips to the South I haven't been able to find what I can up here, and I've been to Atlanta, Florida, xxx, xxx. Also, I like the NYC culture: the blah blah blah blah. But if I had to pick a city, I'd probably pick Virginia Beach, because it more closely resembles what I like."

And then, if someone came back and said "In my neighborhood in Atlanta I can get all that", I wouldn't say "I think you're exaggerating", I'd say "Really!! Where is it so next time I visit I can check it out".

Seriously, I don't mean to be nasty, you seem like a nice person, but can you see the difference?
THANK YOU!
 
Old 01-08-2009, 03:25 PM
 
Location: metro ATL
8,190 posts, read 12,348,696 times
Reputation: 2698
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachael84 View Post
I know that, but of all the cities i've traveled to (many), the only other cities I would live in are Las Vegas and LA. I far prefer the southwest than to any other area outside the northeast.
That's fair, but I'm confused since those cities don't have near the level of urbanity as NYC--especially Las Vegas.
 
Old 01-08-2009, 03:29 PM
 
Location: Concrete jungle where dreams are made of.
8,900 posts, read 13,261,819 times
Reputation: 1819
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akhenaton06 View Post
That's fair, but I'm confused since those cities don't have near the level of urbanity as NYC--especially Las Vegas.

It has a similar "feel" to it. Not as much to do, but I'm just drawn to the southwest for some reason. Like the deserts and the mountains.
 
Old 01-08-2009, 03:33 PM
 
Location: metro ATL
8,190 posts, read 12,348,696 times
Reputation: 2698
Interesting.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top