U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2009, 02:33 PM

9,223 posts, read 13,836,550 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormcrow73 View Post
Source???
The source is right there on my first post.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
Yes, but.

Houston is a very energy driven market. So when oil prices are high, so is employment there. When oil prices drop, the market suffers. All you have to do is go back to the mid 80s to realize how wide the swing can be in that city. And how bad it can get.
Or you could go back to the 80s, and see what could have happened to Houston again during this team had it not diversified itself. Back in the 80s, energy (it's not just oil here; energy is much broader) was over 80% of Houston's economy. Today, it's just 45% and dropping every month as other areas of the city diversify (especially the medical and IT industries).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2009, 03:04 PM

2,370 posts, read 6,997,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angel713 View Post
That link took me to a page with further links to articles concerning Midwest consumer prices and workers comp reform and a few others but nothing regarding gains and losses of jobs in the top 100 metros. Anyone else having the same issue?

Old 01-08-2009, 03:11 PM

28,905 posts, read 46,738,716 times
Quote:

Or you could go back to the 80s, and see what could have happened to Houston again during this team had it not diversified itself. Back in the 80s, energy (it's not just oil here; energy is much broader) was over 80% of Houston's economy. Today, it's just 45% and dropping every month as other areas of the city diversify (especially the medical and IT industries).
45% is still a huge chunk. Heck, that's half the economy. If energy does indeed go bust with the huge selloff in oil, then that represents a problem.

Hey, I'm not rooting for Houston to have problems. Far from it. I just don't think the fragile economy warrants a triumphalist tone.

Old 01-08-2009, 03:15 PM

9,223 posts, read 13,836,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
45% is still a huge chunk. Heck, that's half the economy. If energy does indeed go bust with the huge selloff in oil, then that represents a problem.

Hey, I'm not rooting for Houston to have problems. Far from it. I just don't think the fragile economy warrants a triumphalist tone.
I hope you realize that oil is only a single part of the overall energy industry. There is A LOT more to energy than just oil. And yeah, 45% is nearly half of the economy, but it is still a lot better than the 80%+ numbers from the 80s, and that 45% number is dropping.

Old 01-08-2009, 03:18 PM

28,905 posts, read 46,738,716 times
Quote:
I hope you realize that oil is only a single part of the overall energy industry. There is A LOT more to energy than just oil. And yeah, 45% is nearly half of the economy, but it is still a lot better than the 80%+ numbers from the 80s, and that 45% number is dropping.
Since I consult a bit for the energy sector, I'm well aware of that. But it still is a vulnerable position to be in.

Old 01-08-2009, 04:43 PM

3,115 posts, read 6,498,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jluke65780 View Post
If your looking for one
No, I'm not looking for one; I just think the comment was unnecessary. Texas gets bashed enough without obnoxious comments like this. Anyone who sees this list can tell that Texas is doing great, and they don't need someone shoving it in their face.

Old 01-08-2009, 04:52 PM

15,989 posts, read 30,683,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Westerner92 View Post
No, I'm not looking for one; I just think the comment was unnecessary. Texas gets bashed enough without obnoxious comments like this. Anyone who sees this list can tell that Texas is doing great, and they don't need someone shoving it in their face.
Yeah I got your point after this sentence.

Old 01-08-2009, 04:58 PM

559 posts, read 1,312,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jluke65780 View Post
Wooooo! Tx is owning you suckas! Bow down to your supreme ruler!
This is why people hate texas.

Old 01-08-2009, 09:19 PM

3,669 posts, read 8,843,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by noid_1985 View Post
Atlanta's lossing jobs?? What happen people stop buying coke?
And they stopped watching CNN, stopped flying Delta, stopped shipping with UPS, and stopped shopping at Home Depot. I thought Atlanta would be in a lot better shape since it has a variety of industries unlike Detroit which pretty much just has the Big 3. Seattle has been doing well with it's variety since even though WaMu went under, Starbucks stock has been going down, and Microsoft has been having problems with Vista, they still have plenty of other jobs.

Old 01-08-2009, 10:07 PM

351 posts, read 541,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snowthedirtbub View Post
This is why people hate texas.
What's to hate about good economic planning, growth-oriented tax poicies, and a diverse, vibrant business base? I promise if the rust belt stops pissing away its economy to unions and taxing the investor class to pay for kitschy, worthless civic programs their economies will start to turn around, too.

Texas is owning America because Texans know how to run their state.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or