U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2009, 11:13 AM

8,114 posts, read 17,318,097 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by coldwine View Post
It's odd to think that the last baby boom was fueled by marriage, recently returned GI's and a desire for white picket suburbia.

But there was still a family basis. This new baby boom is entirely a southern affair, with the majority apparently being unwed teenage mothers. I know that the typical view is that birth control is evil, et cetera, but shouldn't there be some social programming? I'm completely fine with the Christian religious ideal that marriage leads to a solid family life, because for the most part it does, but why are these bible-beaten states not enforcing this more rigorously? What happened to the whole "practice what you preach" mentality? If these same people are preventing the rest of the nation from moving forward in science and social progress, why the hell can't they practice what they preach?

I was raised in a godless northern state where the evils of science and practical education taught me how to use a condom. There were less than... I think I only knew about two teen pregnancies in my high school career, and both of those resulted in abortions. I'm not here to make a statement about being pro-life or pro-choice, but the social planning mechanism was there. It's smarter to not have children until you have finished advanced education and are sitting in a home you own with a career and a bank account.
Home run, upper deck.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2009, 11:26 AM

1,104 posts, read 3,387,579 times
I notice that many of the women down south have kids at least 5-10 yrs before their counterparts in the Northeast.

Old 01-08-2009, 11:34 AM

5,412 posts, read 7,703,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xavierob82 View Post
I absoltely hate abortion and everything should be done to reduce the number of abortions in this country...but a fetus is not a child. It is nothing more than a mass of tissue cells that cannot live outside the mother's body. Is it living? Yes, but so is bacteria and microbes.
If there was any chance you could prove that the developing life was, in fact, more than just a mass of tissue then your assertion fails miserably. Prove to me that the developing life is nothing more than a mass of tissue then I will agree with you.

With the obvious advances in medical science (ultrasound/sonograms) I think the odds of you proving beyond a shadow of a doubt that the developing life is nothing more than a mass of tissue is shaky at best.

Good luck.

Old 01-08-2009, 11:50 AM

15,989 posts, read 30,664,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coldwine View Post
It's odd to think that the last baby boom was fueled by marriage, recently returned GI's and a desire for white picket suburbia.

But there was still a family basis. This new baby boom is entirely a southern affair, with the majority apparently being unwed teenage mothers. I know that the typical view is that birth control is evil, et cetera, but shouldn't there be some social programming? I'm completely fine with the Christian religious ideal that marriage leads to a solid family life, because for the most part it does, but why are these bible-beaten states not enforcing this more rigorously? What happened to the whole "practice what you preach" mentality? If these same people are preventing the rest of the nation from moving forward in science and social progress, why the hell can't they practice what they preach?

I was raised in a godless northern state where the evils of science and practical education taught me how to use a condom. There were less than... I think I only knew about two teen pregnancies in my high school career, and both of those resulted in abortions. I'm not here to make a statement about being pro-life or pro-choice, but the social planning mechanism was there. It's smarter to not have children until you have finished advanced education and are sitting in a home you own with a career and a bank account.
We do have sex education courses here in the south; Most of teen pregnancy in states like California and Texas comes from illegal immigration.

Old 01-08-2009, 01:12 PM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

16,822 posts, read 33,200,060 times
13 off topic posts have been removed from this thread. Here's a handy rule of thumb to prevent this from happening in the future:

If your post doesn't relate in any way to the original post, it's off topic.

Old 01-08-2009, 01:15 PM

15,453 posts, read 25,397,220 times
Anyone seen "Idiocracy"?? This is where it all begins......

Old 01-08-2009, 01:30 PM

86,981 posts, read 102,527,356 times
I read the article, and the numbers are not percents as the scanned in article implies. They are live births per 1000 teen women. Still too high, but nowhere near as high as the article implies. 68.4 births per 1000 teens is actually 6.84% of teens who gave birth in a given year. That is the problem with reporters trying to interpret statistics.

Old 01-08-2009, 02:34 PM

40,092 posts, read 24,337,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
I read the article, and the numbers are not percents as the scanned in article implies. They are live births per 1000 teen women. Still too high, but nowhere near as high as the article implies. 68.4 births per 1000 teens is actually 6.84% of teens who gave birth in a given year. That is the problem with reporters trying to interpret statistics.
And it should be noted, that the OP says all southern states except Nevada, and while AZ and NM may be in the southern half of the continental United States, they would not normally be referred to as "southern" states. TX and OK are also not consistently referred to as "southern" states since there are cultural influences at play that distinguish them from other states in the Southeast.

Old 01-08-2009, 02:46 PM

7,732 posts, read 12,146,101 times
I smell an agenda.

Old 01-08-2009, 04:44 PM

42,663 posts, read 74,212,583 times
You do know, don't you, that there is a difference between "pregnancy" and "birth"? The article quoted by the OP is about Birth Rates. Which would differ from the Pregnancy Rate by factors such as the incidence of abortions , which is itself a variable, depending on such factors as state laws and the ability of people to afford abortions, and the social inclination to resort to abortions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or