U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2009, 11:03 PM

42,663 posts, read 74,292,936 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Well, yes. The article is about teen birth rates. It is necessary to be pregnant before giving birth.
But it is not necessary to become a birth-rate statistic after becomine pregnant.

The pregnancy rate could be 100%, but if there are enough abortions, the birth rate could be zero percent, and you would then look at the site in the OP and conclude that the pregnancy rate was zero percent. And heap high praise on that state.

You do know, don't you, that there is a difference between pregnancy and birth?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2009, 11:07 AM

22,769 posts, read 26,225,969 times
The issue is widespread poverty, and the cultural habits that go along with poverty. These include, but are not limited to: obesity, crime, low education, teen pregnancy, and voting Democrat.

Religion is a red herring here. Some of you watch too much television.

Old 01-09-2009, 11:32 AM

15,470 posts, read 25,429,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rubber_factory View Post
The issue is widespread poverty, and the cultural habits that go along with poverty. These include, but are not limited to: obesity, crime, low education, teen pregnancy, and voting Democrat.

Religion is a red herring here. Some of you watch too much television.
Yet all the states listed generally vote republican and are more religious than other parts of the country with the exception of Nevada, perhaps the poverty, low education attainment levels, and crime have something to do with that too. And the states that are less religious and vote democrat have lower rates of teen pregnancy, higher education levels, less crime, and less poverty. You can tell yourself whatever you want and try to deny that there isn't some correlation there but that data it is.

Old 01-09-2009, 11:45 AM

22,769 posts, read 26,225,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
Yet all the states listed generally vote republican and are more religious than other parts of the country with the exception of Nevada, perhaps the poverty, low education attainment levels, and crime have something to do with that too. And the states that are less religious and vote democrat have lower rates of teen pregnancy, higher education levels, less crime, and less poverty. You can tell yourself whatever you want and try to deny that there isn't some correlation there but that data it is.
I did not imply that Democrats were poor, I implied that the poor are Democrats.

You are looking at inter-state demographics, when you need to be looking at intra-state demographics.

Old 01-09-2009, 12:00 PM

56,664 posts, read 80,973,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
You do know, don't you, that there is a difference between "pregnancy" and "birth"? The article quoted by the OP is about Birth Rates. Which would differ from the Pregnancy Rate by factors such as the incidence of abortions , which is itself a variable, depending on such factors as state laws and the ability of people to afford abortions, and the social inclination to resort to abortions.
Good point and many don't even think of it like that.

Old 01-09-2009, 12:26 PM

87,014 posts, read 102,634,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
But it is not necessary to become a birth-rate statistic after becomine pregnant.

The pregnancy rate could be 100%, but if there are enough abortions, the birth rate could be zero percent, and you would then look at the site in the OP and conclude that the pregnancy rate was zero percent. And heap high praise on that state.

You do know, don't you, that there is a difference between pregnancy and birth?
No, actually, I didn't know that. Thanks. The thread was poorly named; the CDC article is about teen birth rates, not teen pregnancy. There is a correlation between the pregnancy rate and the birth rate.

Old 01-09-2009, 12:45 PM

8,010 posts, read 16,071,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desert sun View Post
My high school in eastern New Mexico had a day care in it, there were only about 700 kids in my high school.

Do most small schools have daycares in them?
No. I've noticed this in only the most urban (particularly poor ones) and most rural areas. My small High School (in suburban South Eastern Massachusetts) had 900 kids and no daycare (we had maybe 2 pregnant girls the entire time I was there... one of them transferred from an urban school in the middle of her pregnancy).

On the other hand, I went to college in rural Maine and a few of the "larger" schools (700+ kids is a HUGE school in Maine, btw) had daycares in them. In Massachusetts some of the larger schools in poorer urban areas have some sort of child care program, if not a daycare.

Old 01-09-2009, 12:51 PM

3,644 posts, read 9,007,201 times
Quote:
African Americans in the South vote Democrat, but tend to be poorer, and have higher rates of teen pregnancy. You cant define Democrat & Republican so simply. Aren't Democrats known for being the party of the poor? Yet you are saying that they are less likely to be in poverty. And aren't Republicans supposed to be the party of the wealthy? Yet they dominate in poor areas of the South. This just goes to show that both Democrats & Republicans include many socio-economic groups.

Old 01-09-2009, 12:57 PM

351 posts, read 541,526 times
Quote:
So what's the correlation? Does religion somehow make you poor, stupid, pregnant, incarcerated, and black?

The point has been made: it has nothing to do with Jesus and everything to do with the cultural and economic conditions in which crime, poverty, delinquency, etc. thrive. The same things happen in the inner cities of northern cities, too.

Old 01-09-2009, 01:02 PM

56 posts, read 102,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bass&Catfish2008 View Post
Makes perfect sense to me why there would be more love makin' in the South......folks are just better lookin'.

A blond haired blue-eyed Belle from Oklahoma or Texas.....Lord have mercy on me.
One thing I like about the South is the Hospitality of the region.

I wouldn't agree with the beauty thing, there's plenty of good-looking people in Northern Virginia. Anyways, I don't really consider beauty all that important.

Its saddening to see rate going up again but then again everything is cyclical.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or