U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-08-2009, 12:50 AM

4,552 posts, read 13,621,440 times

Advertisements

ATLANTA – Mississippi now has the nation's highest teen birth rate, displacing Texas and New Mexico for that lamentable title, a new federal report says. Mississippi's rate was more than 60 percent higher than the national average in 2006, according to new state statistics released Wednesday by the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. The teen birth rate for that year in Texas and New Mexico was more than 50 percent higher.

[SIZE=3]Highest teen pregnancy rate[/SIZE]-
Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2009, 03:05 AM

5,812 posts, read 16,894,008 times
I wonder if they counted Jamie Lynn Spears.

Old 01-08-2009, 05:09 AM

5,765 posts, read 10,454,030 times
Quote:
illegal immigration
Ain't much of that in Mississippi...

Old 01-08-2009, 05:41 AM

18,264 posts, read 7,462,356 times
I am surprised to see Indiana at the 41-59% range

Old 01-08-2009, 06:39 AM

6,749 posts, read 20,176,961 times
I am not surpised really. It's sad but it happens

Old 01-08-2009, 07:07 AM

3,644 posts, read 9,197,354 times
I live really close to Mississippi in TN and this is not hard to believe. When I graduated high school in 2007 there were at least 15 girls in my class (of 200)that were pregnant or had already had a child, some had more than 1, one girl had 3. And i'd say that it was evenly divided between black and white girls, so it wasnt a race thing. A lot of ppl say that the teen pregnancy rate is so high here because there's just nothing for teens to do except party and have sex.

Old 01-08-2009, 07:09 AM

6,749 posts, read 20,176,961 times
Here's a chart: http://media.bnd.com/smedia/2009/01/07/08/TEEN_BIRTHS.sff.embedded.prod_affiliate.98.jpg (broken link)

Old 01-08-2009, 10:25 AM

5,443 posts, read 7,898,574 times
Default A Possible Explanation...

Makes perfect sense to me why there would be more love makin' in the South......folks are just better lookin'.

A blond haired blue-eyed Belle from Oklahoma or Texas.....Lord have mercy on me.

Old 01-08-2009, 11:57 AM

3,633 posts, read 7,811,954 times
It's odd to think that the last baby boom was fueled by marriage, recently returned GI's and a desire for white picket suburbia.

But there was still a family basis. This new baby boom is entirely a southern affair, with the majority apparently being unwed teenage mothers. I know that the typical view is that birth control is evil, et cetera, but shouldn't there be some social programming? I'm completely fine with the Christian religious ideal that marriage leads to a solid family life, because for the most part it does, but why are these bible-beaten states not enforcing this more rigorously? What happened to the whole "practice what you preach" mentality? If these same people are preventing the rest of the nation from moving forward in science and social progress, why the hell can't they practice what they preach?

I was raised in a godless northern state where the evils of science and practical education taught me how to use a condom. There were less than... I think I only knew about two teen pregnancies in my high school career, and both of those resulted in abortions. I'm not here to make a statement about being pro-life or pro-choice, but the social planning mechanism was there. It's smarter to not have children until you have finished advanced education and are sitting in a home you own with a career and a bank account.

Old 01-08-2009, 12:06 PM

5,443 posts, read 7,898,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coldwine View Post
It's odd to think that the last baby boom was fueled by marriage, recently returned GI's and a desire for white picket suburbia.

But there was still a family basis. This new baby boom is entirely a southern affair, with the majority apparently being unwed teenage mothers. I know that the typical view is that birth control is evil, et cetera, but shouldn't there be some social programming? I'm completely fine with the Christian religious ideal that marriage leads to a solid family life, because for the most part it does, but why are these bible-beaten states not enforcing this more rigorously? What happened to the whole "practice what you preach" mentality? If these same people are preventing the rest of the nation from moving forward in science and social progress, why the hell can't they practice what they preach?

I was raised in a godless northern state where the evils of science and practical education taught me how to use a condom. There were less than... I think I only knew about two teen pregnancies in my high school career, and both of those resulted in abortions. I'm not here to make a statement about being pro-life or pro-choice, but the social planning mechanism was there. It's smarter to not have children until you have finished advanced education and are sitting in a home you own with a career and a bank account.
You make some fine points (except the obviously condescending remark of how you were taught to use a condom. Congrats, you want a cookie?).

In some conservative states there are stronger incentives that are being put in place to make divorce much more difficult (extensive fines, etc.). It would be interesting to see the link between the number of teenage mothers that originate from families of single-parent/broken/divorced families. I've got a hunch that number would be quite high.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or