U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2009, 10:57 AM

23,096 posts, read 35,052,903 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oerdin View Post
This would be an example of your average home built in Southern California over the last quarter century. It would be a wood structure (stands up better to earthquakes), covered in stucco, with a Spanish tile roof (resists fire caused by burning ash falling on the roof and is more durable). I would say the majority still have a traditional lawn but, as in this picture, many people are opting for less water intensive landscape as it saves both money and a precious resource (water).
Funny, I was thinking that this could just as well be a house built in the central or south FL suburbs over the last quarter century.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2009, 11:43 AM

4,386 posts, read 3,149,803 times
Houses in Alexandria, Louisiana

Last edited by ral31; 02-07-2009 at 11:51 AM..

Old 02-07-2009, 04:37 PM

1,576 posts, read 5,138,123 times
The only part of the west that the east doesn't have is the houses in NM, AZ, and parts of NV.. Those Spanish style houses. Those are interesting.

But other than that, anything in the west the east has... People say CA has the best homes BUT you can find similar homes in FL. And NY and NJ have houses built around WW2 times that the west has nothing of. The west doesn't have(or has VERY few) New England Inspired homes, Southern Style, French Quarter Style, and Colonial style homes like the east does.. A lot to most of the west has Modern style homes, which the east also has... that's boring to me.

Old 02-07-2009, 06:52 PM

893 posts, read 2,519,259 times
Does the east have craftsman style houses? I love those. Any in NJ? But I love the Spanish style houses in CA,NV,FL,AZ. They look nice, clean, and bright. When I think of Victorian houses I think of it being cloudy and dark around the house same with colonials. They just don't feel as bright as Spanish style houses.

Old 02-07-2009, 11:19 PM

4,552 posts, read 13,459,022 times
there are some victorian style houses in downtown Albuquerque, but thats the only part of town that has them and there is only a few blocks of them.

Old 02-08-2009, 08:12 PM

14,111 posts, read 22,765,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LovinDecatur View Post
Funny, I was thinking that this could just as well be a house built in the central or south FL suburbs over the last quarter century.
I was thinking the same thing. You could find many of those homes throughout FLA.

Old 02-08-2009, 08:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTruth08 View Post
Does the east have craftsman style houses? I love those. Any in NJ? But I love the Spanish style houses in CA,NV,FL,AZ. They look nice, clean, and bright. When I think of Victorian houses I think of it being cloudy and dark around the house same with colonials. They just don't feel as bright as Spanish style houses.
I agree. Those regular victorian looking homes are overrated to me. They just seem so plain, I dont know why everybody is in awe of those homes. The spanish-style houses look waaaay more exciting to me, they look out of the ordinary with there bright colors. When you look at those spanish themed homes with the bright colors you see culture. The victorian homes just look so average and white picket fence suburbia to me.

Old 02-08-2009, 10:49 PM

542 posts, read 1,288,936 times
^ Don't be ridiculous, you uncultured peon!! Those Victorian homes represent culture!! And class!! And character!! And sophistication!! And any other pretentious, self-affirming description you can think of!!

Old 02-08-2009, 10:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeyserSoze View Post
^ Don't be ridiculous, you uncultured peon!! Those Victorian homes represent culture!! And class!! And character!! And sophistication!! And any other pretentious, self-affirming description you can think of!!
HaHa. Im a peon. To each his own I guess.

Old 02-08-2009, 11:01 PM

542 posts, read 1,288,936 times
I was mocking those who would've said so, based on your comments above. Not calling you a peon per se.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or