U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2009, 09:04 PM

6,320 posts, read 6,989,633 times

Advertisements

Why would you choose to look at CSAs instead of MSAs?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2009, 11:54 PM

5,772 posts, read 13,742,385 times
Yes, if anyone wants to look up the info on MSA's, it would offer the advantage of being able to compare all metro areas, not just those which are part of CSA's.

Old 01-09-2009, 09:41 AM

11,182 posts, read 22,403,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Answers View Post
The biggest news here is that Detroit managed positive growth.
Like it has since it was founded a few hundred years ago.

Old 01-09-2009, 10:42 AM

5,716 posts, read 14,583,823 times
No shock that they're all cheap...

Old 01-10-2009, 11:22 AM

9,887 posts, read 21,166,980 times
I didn't use MSA's because it splits up urban areas that to men should be in one piece.

Is it really fair to say that Riverside CA is bigger than Cincinnati or Nashville? Is West Palm Beach really bigger than Louisville or Birmingham? Is San Jose really bigger than Cleveland? To me all those are part of a larger city's metro area.

Old 01-10-2009, 01:37 PM

1,423 posts, read 4,234,284 times
This is not true where is Riverside-San Bernandino Metro its the 5th fastest growing metro in the u.s.Look it up if you don't believe me.

Old 01-10-2009, 03:58 PM

9,223 posts, read 13,849,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by projectmaximus View Post
Why would you choose to look at CSAs instead of MSAs?
Hell, why would you look at MSAs instead of urban areas?

Quote:
Originally Posted by californialove24 View Post
This is not true where is Riverside-San Bernandino Metro its the 5th fastest growing metro in the u.s.Look it up if you don't believe me.
Is it? I know it's behind Houston, DFW, Phoenix, and Atlanta, so maybe it is fifth.

Old 01-11-2009, 05:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by censusdata View Post
I didn't use MSA's because it splits up urban areas that to men should be in one piece.

Is it really fair to say that Riverside CA is bigger than Cincinnati or Nashville? Is West Palm Beach really bigger than Louisville or Birmingham? Is San Jose really bigger than Cleveland? To me all those are part of a larger city's metro area.
I'm confused about your comment in a couple ways...

1) MSAs aren't supposed to split up urban areas. It is true that Riverside, CA is a separate MSA from LA, but West Palm Beach is part of the South Florida MSA with Miami, Ft Lauderdale, etc while San Jose is part of the Bay Area MSA with San Francisco, Oakland, etc. To you, they are part of a larger city's metro area, and the census bureau agrees. That's why they are officially part of the larger MSAs, lol.

Maybe you meant Urban Areas? You chose not to use "urban areas" for this reason? The MSA definition actually seems to be more in line with your objective here.

2) I think it is FAIR to say that Riverside is bigger than Cincy or Nashville. I mean, it actually is, isn't it? I understand your desire to lump the Riverside MSA with the LA MSA (it is, after all, the greater Los Angeles area) and I feel the same way. But when it comes down to it, the Riverside MSA is the 14th largest MSA in the country, independent of LA. It's not like LA's MSA numbers somehow artifically boost Riverside's.

Anyway, using MSAs for this comparision isn't perfect either, but in my opinion it is better than CSAs cause like ogre said and many others alluded to, you don't lose all the areas (cities, regions, or whatever) that aren't a part of a CSA.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angel713 View Post
Hell, why would you look at MSAs instead of urban areas?
I think using urban areas work against the OP's desire to group larger clusters of population regions together.

Old 01-11-2009, 05:40 PM

9,887 posts, read 21,166,980 times
The reason I listed CSAs in the first place is that I didn't notice until latter how many larger cities the list omitted. I had thought that ALL MSAs had to be part of a larger CSA since that's the way all the Metros in my area are.

As for MSAs being split up... to me its like taking a larger suburb of a large city and comparing it to a city of similar size. In Kentucky an example would be comparing Jeffersontown (pop 27,000 in the same county as Louisville that has a pop of 709,000) to an independent town like Paducah, which is the same size. Paducah has its own TV market, a good sized mall, a historic Main Street district that is 20 blocks long, and several medium sized hospitals. Jeffersontown has a historic district that is maybe one block and no malls or hospitals.

Jeffersontown would not have 27,000 residents if it wasn't 15 miles from Downtown Louisville. Paducah exists on its own. IMO Riverside or San Jose wouldn't have millions or people if they weren't so close to two world class cities - Los Angeles and San Francisco.

Old 01-13-2009, 07:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by censusdata View Post
The reason I listed CSAs in the first place is that I didn't notice until latter how many larger cities the list omitted. I had thought that ALL MSAs had to be part of a larger CSA since that's the way all the Metros in my area are.

As for MSAs being split up... to me its like taking a larger suburb of a large city and comparing it to a city of similar size. In Kentucky an example would be comparing Jeffersontown (pop 27,000 in the same county as Louisville that has a pop of 709,000) to an independent town like Paducah, which is the same size. Paducah has its own TV market, a good sized mall, a historic Main Street district that is 20 blocks long, and several medium sized hospitals. Jeffersontown has a historic district that is maybe one block and no malls or hospitals.

Jeffersontown would not have 27,000 residents if it wasn't 15 miles from Downtown Louisville. Paducah exists on its own. IMO Riverside or San Jose wouldn't have millions or people if they weren't so close to two world class cities - Los Angeles and San Francisco.
Oh, I totally agree with your explanation. I feel the same way. But my point was that MSAs are supposed to deal with your very concern...MSAs eliminate the apples to oranges comparison of some towns/cities.

Now I'm not looking this up right now so I'm not 100% sure (but I'd certainly put a lot of money on this) Jeffersontown is part of the Louisville MSA. So when using metropolitan statistical areas, you wouldn't ever be comparing it to Paducah (which is a micropolitan statistical area). And as I told you earlier, San Jose is part of the San Francisco and Oakland MSA. Make sense to you now?

Cool...I'm not harping on this subject any longer. Peace!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or