U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2009, 09:01 PM

9,223 posts, read 13,839,624 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by projectmaximus View Post
Oh, I totally agree with your explanation. I feel the same way. But my point was that MSAs are supposed to deal with your very concern...MSAs eliminate the apples to oranges comparison of some towns/cities.

Now I'm not looking this up right now so I'm not 100% sure (but I'd certainly put a lot of money on this) Jeffersontown is part of the Louisville MSA. So when using metropolitan statistical areas, you wouldn't ever be comparing it to Paducah (which is a micropolitan statistical area). And as I told you earlier, San Jose is part of the San Francisco and Oakland MSA. Make sense to you now?

Cool...I'm not harping on this subject any longer. Peace!
No it's not. San Francisco-Oakland is its own MSA, and San Jose is its own MSA. Now, there is a San Jose-San Francisco-Oakland CSA.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2009, 09:13 PM

30 posts, read 90,702 times
Perhaps the best standard is to look at what wikipedia calls the "primary census statistical area." This table includes MSAs and "Micropolitan Statistical Areas" that don't make up CSAs, while also including CSAs. Thus, whatever the largest possible designation for an area can be, that's what it is-- so no place is left out.

Table of United States primary census statistical areas - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

You can then change the table to rank by percent population change 2000-2007 and see that, for example, Phoenix-Mesa-Scotsdale, AZ MSA and Austin-Round Rock, TX MSA grew faster than even Raleigh-Durham at 28.52% and 27.88% respectively.

Old 01-13-2009, 09:18 PM

30 posts, read 90,702 times
As a follow-up, wow, looking at the bottom of the growth list on the "primary census statistical areas" chart, it is amazing how many micropolitan areas experienced a loss of population between 2000 and 2007. A lot of them are in the Midwest (especially North Dakota and that area) and in the central South (Mississippi, Arkansas, etc.), but there are also a number in the forgotten parts of boom states (quite a few in Texas, Georgia, and South Carolina).

Old 01-14-2009, 02:47 PM

256 posts, read 661,078 times
Wow, poor Pittsburgh and Cleveland, huh.

Old 01-14-2009, 03:57 PM

4,000 posts, read 10,451,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by censusdata View Post
I didn't use MSA's because it splits up urban areas that to men should be in one piece.

Is it really fair to say that Riverside CA is bigger than Cincinnati or Nashville? Is West Palm Beach really bigger than Louisville or Birmingham? Is San Jose really bigger than Cleveland? To me all those are part of a larger city's metro area.
I agree with Censusdata's point and his way of interpreting the data. What you have to do is compile your CSA list, than look through the list of MSA's and see if any of the MSA's are not part of a CSA, and then intersperse them into the CSA data. Or, we could complain to the Census Bureau for not completing this basic task for consumers of census data, which by all logic the bureau should have done.

The following are the missing MSAs if you were creating a list of the top 50 Metro areas for 2007 based on CSA data with MSA data added in. This is where these MSAs would follow within the top 50:

11. Miami
13. Phoenix
17. San Diego
20. Tampa
26. Portland
29. San Antonio
34. Virginia Beach
42. Jacksonville
43. Memphis
47. Richmond

How do know this? I created this list last fall from Census Bureau data.

Old 01-14-2009, 11:19 PM

6,317 posts, read 6,977,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angel713 View Post
No it's not. San Francisco-Oakland is its own MSA, and San Jose is its own MSA. Now, there is a San Jose-San Francisco-Oakland CSA.
Oops! I stand corrected, you're absolutely right. I stand by everything I said previously, just make San Jose an exception along with Riverside (and there are of course several other notable exceptions, too)

My apologies, though, for the careless mistake. I do have an excuse for why I thought that, but it's my fault for not checking first. West Palm is in Miami's MSA though! I was right about one thing, lol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by silviodante2 View Post
Perhaps the best standard is to look at what wikipedia calls the "primary census statistical area." This table includes MSAs and "Micropolitan Statistical Areas" that don't make up CSAs, while also including CSAs. Thus, whatever the largest possible designation for an area can be, that's what it is-- so no place is left out.

Table of United States primary census statistical areas - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

You can then change the table to rank by percent population change 2000-2007 and see that, for example, Phoenix-Mesa-Scotsdale, AZ MSA and Austin-Round Rock, TX MSA grew faster than even Raleigh-Durham at 28.52% and 27.88% respectively.
There you go...I'll back this idea.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or