U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2009, 03:30 PM

8,190 posts, read 12,337,426 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JViello View Post
Sometimes I laugh when I am in DT Hartford, deal with 5 minutes of traffic and am 15 miles East of the city getting off my exit in 20 minutes compared to my 45 minute 8 mile drive in Charlotte.
You must have been in University. It's not like that everywhere in the city by far.

Old 01-08-2009, 03:40 PM

1,965 posts, read 5,790,252 times
Seattle, San Francisco, Denver, Portland, San Diego.
If you like "bigger cities" and access to mountains, these are all good choices. The St. Louis recommendation doesn't appear to satisfy any of your desires.

Old 01-08-2009, 04:05 PM

40 posts, read 49,900 times
Yeah St. Louis is not my cup of tea but San Diego and San Francisco don't meet our weather desires. We're considering Seattle and Portland but I am concerned about the rain! So far Denver is looking good! Thanks!

Old 01-08-2009, 04:24 PM

8,900 posts, read 13,249,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LindseyG696 View Post
We are moving....well, we want to....but where do we go??????
My husband and I have both pretty much lived in the Charlotte, NC area our whole lives. I ventured out a little for college but only left NC/SC for a semester (I went to school in Wayne, NJ, just outside of NYC for a semester).
So our lease is up in August of this year and we want to move AWAY....FAR AWAY!!! We're not exactly running away but just starting a new adventure on our own. So, here's the problem....where do we go?????

I have wanted to live in NYC for years but it hasn't worked out for one reason or another, plus the fact that it is sooo expensive! We are considering living in Brooklyn, another outer burrough, or we talked about somewhere in New York state or even New Jersey. That way we could at least get into the city whenever we wanted, but it's expensive to live there, too. And how much would we go into the city? Would it be worth it? Would that be a lifestyle we would want? Or would it be totally worth it to be so close to the city and still have a backyard??? Is this doable?

We have also talked about Denver, CO quite a bit because we both LOVE mountains and big cities so it's the best of both worlds! Denver has an amazing reputation for being a very "livable" place. So far I haven't read anything about it that I don't like...but that's just it, never been there. I'm not opposed to just up and moving somewhere I have never been but would this be a mistake? Would we like Denver? How do we know if we would or not? What other cities? I thought about Seattle....would we like it there?

Here's some extra info...we have been married for a little over a year and have no kids as of yet. We are social people and love to hang out with friends having a few drinks, playing games, etc. We love outdoor activities like camping, swimming, hiking, etc. Neither of us likes hot weather so we need somewhere above the Mason Dixon that actually gets seasons and SNOW! We like to shop and eat out so we definitely need a strong metro area! Feel free to ask questions beyond that
SO....opinions please?!?!?!? Do you have a favorite city? Have a suggestion? Have a place to avoid? Think we're crazy? Give me some feedback....

Try western/central Long Island. Very close to the city and the Long Island Railroad is the largest commuter train in the country. Lots of trains run in and out of the city all times of the day.

Old 01-08-2009, 05:54 PM

16,739 posts, read 23,181,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachael84 View Post
Try western/central Long Island. Very close to the city and the Long Island Railroad is the largest commuter train in the country. Lots of trains run in and out of the city all times of the day.
You forgot about the insane cost of living in LI!

The Hartford area sounds like a good fit. Friendly, jobs, affordable for CT, four seasons and everything else JViello said, lol..

Old 01-08-2009, 06:17 PM

40 posts, read 49,900 times
The other thing about LI is that we don't want to work in the city and commute in and out every day! That's not a way of life AT ALL! Some people are fine with that but we're not. If we're going to live outside of NYC then we need to be in a city that is self-efficient and large enough to offer plenty of jobs, etc without having to commute in. Thanks for the suggestion Rachael!

Old 01-08-2009, 07:28 PM

1,576 posts, read 5,138,955 times
I think Albany or Saratoga Springs are really nice places. Albany is set in a beautiful area with its semi-urban setting and Saratoga Springs... GORGEOUS.

Albany isnt too expensive but it isn't too cheap. It's average. I actually looking at houses to move there becasuse im also looking too own soon, but its too far from everyone... but thats just my case. I love that area of NY.
-The reason i said Albany is because it's urban like you said you liked and it has all this beautiful nature around the city where you can do all the outdoor things you would love.

Saratoga Springs, a little more picey than Albany but not by too much. It's really i nice area of NY as well.
-The reason i said Saratoga Springs is because of all the outdoor things you can do, it has lakes, parks, hikes, and all sorts of outdoor stuff.

Last edited by Newarkbomb; 01-08-2009 at 07:45 PM..

Old 01-08-2009, 07:32 PM

5,812 posts, read 16,663,828 times
If you like Denver then move to Denver.

Old 01-08-2009, 07:33 PM

20,005 posts, read 69,434,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LindseyG696 View Post
Milwaukee is a good suggestion...I will look into that. I've been to Minneapolis several times because my best friends just moved away from there and I was not all that impressed with it. I don't like the flatness or the AWFUL traffic!
Huh? Charlotte is flat as heck, too. If Charlotte didnt bother you, MPLS probably wont. Plus, Minneapolis isnt too terribly far from some gorgeous scenery (google Lutsen Mountains, Sawtooth Mountains, etc) either.

Old 01-08-2009, 07:34 PM

1,985 posts, read 3,289,826 times
Lindsey,

I agree with Jviello and kidyankee, you ought to give CT a look. I dont know what you do for a living, but we have everything from medical device manufacturers, aerospace firms, fuel cell co's, insurance and a whole bunch more! Plus the fact that we're so close to Rhode Island (sweet beaches), Massachuesetts (Cape Cod, Rockport- awesome!) New York, etc. If you like big time skiing, New Hampshire, Vermont are just a short jaunt up I-91 north.

Check us out!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.