U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2009, 07:44 PM

16,774 posts, read 23,227,727 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LindseyG696 View Post
The other thing about LI is that we don't want to work in the city and commute in and out every day! That's not a way of life AT ALL! Some people are fine with that but we're not. If we're going to live outside of NYC then we need to be in a city that is self-efficient and large enough to offer plenty of jobs, etc without having to commute in. Thanks for the suggestion Rachael!
Yeah, you'd definitely like Hartford if you don't mind a small slice of winter. You should check it out ... it's smaller than Charlotte but offers a ton in the way of arts and culture.

You can also look at Providence, though I think Hartford has more jobs.

I spend a lot of time in Charlotte and one of the things that has bothered me, similar to JViello, is that if you want to leave Charlotte, there's not much else close by. Same goes for a lot of the cities people are suggesting, but if you don't mind that, then by all means!

Old 01-08-2009, 07:44 PM

40 posts, read 49,940 times
Steve you do realize that I want to LEAVE Charlotte right?!? I never said Charlotte didn't bother me, I just grew up in this area. Have you ever been to Charlotte? It's nowhere NEAR as "flat" as Minneapolis. Regardless, I just don't like the city, flat or not flat.

Tetto...where in CT do you suggest, anywhere specific? I've been looking around online for information. Bridgeport doesn't look too bad and Hartford, too. I just need to research more! Thanks!

Old 01-08-2009, 07:50 PM

8,155 posts, read 18,647,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akhenaton06 View Post
You must have been in University. It's not like that everywhere in the city by far.
Nope...Ballantyne to Uptown/Center City/Downtown or whatever they are calling it these days. lol I worked on the 53rd floor of the Bank of America building. 485 was pretty much gridlock from the time I got on it to I77 which was bumper to bumper all way into the city.

I also traveled around the city with sales reps and no matter where we went it was congested.

Charlotte has horrible traffic. It's one of the things that really really turned me off from the city. DT is great, and the city does have a lot of nice things...traffic is not one of them.

Old 01-08-2009, 07:54 PM

Quote:
Steve you do realize that I want to LEAVE Charlotte right?!? I never said Charlotte didn't bother me, I just grew up in this area. Have you ever been to Charlotte? It's nowhere NEAR as "flat" as Minneapolis. Regardless, I just don't like the city, flat or not flat.

Tetto...where in CT do you suggest, anywhere specific? I've been looking around online for information. Bridgeport doesn't look too bad and Hartford, too. I just need to research more! Thanks!
Bridgeport isn't really "sell-sufficient" the way Hartford is. If that's what you're looking for, you can look into New Haven, home of Yale. There is a huge student population and the areas of Westville, East Rock and downtown are great. Like any city, there are some not so great areas but you learn to stay away from them.

New Haven also has mass transit into Manhattan if you decide to go in for lunch/dinner and a show or take a day trip. The city is also known nation/worldwide for it's "New Haven style" Apizz! (pizza).

Old 01-08-2009, 07:54 PM

Looking at stuff on Hartford....30% of the population lives below the poverty line, median income is only $24,820?!?!?! NO WAY!!! I'm sorry but it sounds like a dump! Why is it so bad? Is that misrepresentative?

Old 01-08-2009, 07:57 PM

Quote:
Looking at stuff on Hartford....30% of the population lives below the poverty line, median income is only $24,820?!?!?! NO WAY!!! I'm sorry but it sounds like a dump! Why is it so bad? Is that misrepresentative?
Downtown Hartford and the West End are really the only area of Hartford I'd live in. New Haven has poverty too, but in both cities, this poverty is contained to a few neighborhoods. In general though, I think New Haven's neighborhoods are nicer, in my opinion.

CT is a segregated place. Poor minorities/college kids live in the cities which brings down the income. Super wealthy white families live in the suburbs.

Anymore Qs, feel free.

Old 01-08-2009, 07:58 PM

1,576 posts, read 5,143,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
Downtown Hartford and the West End are really the only area of Hartford I'd live in. New Haven has poverty too, but in both cities, this poverty is contained to a few neighborhoods. In general though, I think New Haven's neighborhoods are nicer, in my opinion.

CT is a segregated place. Poor minorities/college kids live in the cities which brings down the income. Super wealthy white families live in the suburbs.

Anymore Qs, feel free.
Like Shelton, which is a really nice place in CT also.

Stamford, CT is also a place to check out in CT. Some family of mine live there and they love it.

Old 01-08-2009, 08:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newarkbomb View Post
Like Shelton, which is a really nice place in CT also.

Stamford, CT is also a place to check out in CT. Some family of mine live there and they love it.
I currently live in Shelton - nice suburban town, middle class for CT, and has a huge corporate presence.

Old 01-08-2009, 08:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post

Anymore Qs, feel free.
Based on the "segregated" comment, I really don't think I would like CT. We are too young for "suburban" life, we WANT to live in the city, but not in a city full of "poor minorities/college kids". And before you say that all cities are like that, that's not true. I have found that in a lot of cities the hip, trendy, younger crowd flock to the downtowns more. That's what we're looking for!

Old 01-08-2009, 08:05 PM

Quote:
And before you say that all cities are like that, that's not true.
I never suggested all cities are like that - they aren't. After hearing your needs more, Hartford/New Haven are probably not what you're looking for.

Stamford is really the only large city in CT that isn't like this. It is a vibrant city, one hour from Manhattan, plenty of jobs and is doing incredibly well in this "recession". You should really check it out. It's very expensive but definitely worth it. A ton of hedge funds and a plenty of job opportunities.

If I could afford it, I'd move to Stamford in a heartbeat!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.