U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2009, 11:45 AM

40 posts, read 49,936 times

Advertisements

missionhill, you pretty much have it right...for the most part.
I need to clarify more, we obviously know that we can't live in any of the NYC borroughs or most of the surrounding area and still be able to go hiking or other similar outdoor activities. I have been to NYC probably 20 times (just went in October) and actually lived in Northern NJ (Wayne) for about six months when I was in college, so I know ALOT about NYC and know what to expect. IF we were able to move there, it would be so that we could have the no-car, urban cafes and museums lifestyle. We would be trading the outdoor activities for the city life and that would be awesome!!! BUT if we cannot live in VERY close proximity (in the city on the weekend in an hour or even less and easily) to NYC, then the city we choose to move to would ideally be located very close to mountains, lakes, etc so that we could enjoy outdoor activities on a regular basis. Does that make sense? I know the two situations contradict each other but we like both situatios and lifestyles. The ONLY city like NYC is NYC! You can't find that lifestyle ANYWHERE else (not even Chicago really) BUT if we cannot live there, then we want the outdoor options and beauty (which probably means Denver because unless I find something that makes me fall in love with Seattle, I am not all about the rain) SO, that's where I am coming from. I am totally open to more suggestions than Denver because there may be cities similar or even better that I am not aware of, and that's basically what I was looking for in the first place. I also wanted to hear negatives about Denver if people had them. I do not need to hear anymore suggestions in CT (but I REALLY appreciate the suggestions there because I honestly never considered it and now we will) So, there we go....ask questions if someone needs clarification....
BUT please stop insulting, criticizing, attacking, etc, etc....if you think I'm a, well, whatever crappy thing you think, that's fine, but keep it to yourself! I promise to do the same

Old 01-10-2009, 02:57 PM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

16,829 posts, read 33,258,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LindseyG696 View Post
BUT please stop insulting, criticizing, attacking, etc, etc....if you think I'm a, well, whatever crappy thing you think, that's fine, but keep it to yourself! I promise to do the same
And I'm going to INSIST that you do the same if you want this thread to stay open. Some of your responses to members who were trying to be helpful with their posts are not appropriate. It's fine to have strong opinions, but don't take it out on the people who shared their opinions. Tone it down or I will shut it down.

Rachael84, you have made your last post in this thread. It's clear that LindseyG696 has had her fill of your advice, so it's time for you to post in one of the other 200,000+ threads on City-Data.

Everyone: Any discussion here of what I posted above is off-topic and could make the post subject to deletion or lead to a removal of posting privileges. Please use the report post button () to report any posts that follow which do not comply with what I just posted above.

Remember, the City-Data Terms of Service say "We are here to help each other." Make sure before you hit that "Post" button that you're posting something helpful!

Last edited by Bo; 01-10-2009 at 03:16 PM..

Old 01-10-2009, 03:38 PM

16,769 posts, read 23,217,533 times
Quote:
missionhill, you pretty much have it right...for the most part.
I need to clarify more, we obviously know that we can't live in any of the NYC borroughs or most of the surrounding area and still be able to go hiking or other similar outdoor activities. I have been to NYC probably 20 times (just went in October) and actually lived in Northern NJ (Wayne) for about six months when I was in college, so I know ALOT about NYC and know what to expect. IF we were able to move there, it would be so that we could have the no-car, urban cafes and museums lifestyle. We would be trading the outdoor activities for the city life and that would be awesome!!! BUT if we cannot live in VERY close proximity (in the city on the weekend in an hour or even less and easily) to NYC, then the city we choose to move to would ideally be located very close to mountains, lakes, etc so that we could enjoy outdoor activities on a regular basis. Does that make sense? I know the two situations contradict each other but we like both situatios and lifestyles. The ONLY city like NYC is NYC! You can't find that lifestyle ANYWHERE else (not even Chicago really) BUT if we cannot live there, then we want the outdoor options and beauty (which probably means Denver because unless I find something that makes me fall in love with Seattle, I am not all about the rain) SO, that's where I am coming from. I am totally open to more suggestions than Denver because there may be cities similar or even better that I am not aware of, and that's basically what I was looking for in the first place. I also wanted to hear negatives about Denver if people had them. I do not need to hear anymore suggestions in CT (but I REALLY appreciate the suggestions there because I honestly never considered it and now we will) So, there we go....ask questions if someone needs clarification....
Well - I know you don't want to hear anymore about CT, but it's under an hour to NYC and minutes to mountains, lakes, ocean, etc. So that's all I'll say about that.

I think if you REALLY want the scoop on Denver, head over to the Denver forum.

Old 01-10-2009, 11:46 PM

40 posts, read 49,936 times
Bowie please delete this thread. You won't see anymore posts from me anywhere on your site!!!! If this forum represents america, god help us all!!!

Old 01-11-2009, 12:01 AM

351 posts, read 542,225 times
I don't think you'd like Denver. The sense I get is that you would get bored pretty quickly with it.

It is absolutely nothing like New York. Not even close. It's a mid-sized major metropolitan area where the major draw is the outdoors. It's a great place and it's home (for me), but it's really not the sort of cosmopolitan place you're looking for.

I'd say DC would be your best best--or New York or Chicago. I'd stay on the East Coast if I were you.

If it's the nature and beauty you're looking for, Seattle and San FRancisco would be much better picks than DEnver. They are bigger than Denver have a coastal, sophisticated vibe that Denver lacks. Denver's feel is more suburban.

Old 01-11-2009, 12:14 AM

9,188 posts, read 30,260,685 times
Quote:
Bowie please delete this thread. You won't see anymore posts from me anywhere on your site!!!! If this forum represents america, god help us all!!!
It's a two-way street, Lindsey. Why yes, we do tend to draw our share of nutburgers from time to time, and trust me, the moderators do eventually get around to slapping down the suspensions (or bans) for those who get carried away. But you also cannot stoop to their level by dishing out some of the same stuff they sometimes toss out either. As per the norm, folks also need to use the "notify" feature to let us know what's getting out of control, too.

Since you started the thread, and you are requesting it to be shut down, that's what I'll do as I assume you've received more than enough legit info via some of the posts to get you started on your quest.

CLOSED.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.